Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Wright vs. Tillman vs. anybody else

As a competitor, I like Chris Tillman much better than Mike Wright.   Tillman is more resourceful, more mature and a more steady person.  

Irrelevant.    Tillman seemingly can’t pitch anymore.   His velocity is way worse than Wright, his command is worse (which is saying something) and he can’t get it done even on his good days, much less his bad ones.    Wright at least will give you a decent game one day out of three.    Gun to my head, I’d rather take my chances with Wright right now. 

Personally, I’d be on the phone with Scott Feldman right now and get him to Sarasota tomorrow.   And, I’d be ready to try Aquino or Hess in a week or two if Wright doesn’t have a decent start in the next two.

As to Tillman, he can agree to go to  Norfolk after he’s DFA and try to get his act together there.    Or, he can choose another path.   But he needs to be off our roster.  

• Upvote 2

Wright is much better than Tillman right now. With Tillman, you're essentially conceding the game before it starts while Wright at least gives you a shot.

Miguel Castro.   The guy has three pitches and throws upper 90's.   He might suck but he's got some upside and we already have Araujo, Givens, O'Day, and Brach in the bullpen.   I'd like to see Castro get 3-4 starts and see if he can go 5 decent innings as the 5th starter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Miguel Castro.   The guy has three pitches and throws upper 90's.   He might suck but he's got some upside and we already have Araujo, Givens, O'Day, and Brach in the bullpen.   I'd like to see Castro get 3-4 starts and see if he can go 5 decent innings as the 5th starter.

His command is terrible. IMO he'd be almost as bad as Tillman, if not worse.

4 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

His command is terrible. IMO he'd be almost as bad as Tillman, if not worse.

Tillman is toast and Mike Wright has proven time and again that he can't do it.   Best in house solutions are bullpen guys.    Castro, Bleier, and even Araujo in that order.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

David Hess

Really?  Based on one good AAA start?   Too early.  He was just okay in his second try in AA last year.   Give him at least 5 AAA starts to earn it.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Really?  Based on one good AAA start?   Too early.  He was just okay in his second try in AA last year.   Give him at least 5 AAA starts to earn it.

Based on a discussion between Mike Wright and Chris Tillman.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Tillman is toast and Mike Wright has proven time and again that he can't do it.   Best in house solutions are bullpen guys.    Castro, Bleier, and even Araujo in that order.

Bleier would get smoked as a starter. I'm not ready to give up on Wright just yet, he's only pitched 150 innings in the majors so far, which is less than 1 season's worth for a regular starter.

1 minute ago, amdcpus said:

Bleier would get smoked as a starter. I'm not ready to give up on Wright just yet, he's only pitched 150 innings in the majors so far, which is less than 1 season's worth for a regular starter.

You said Miguel Castro had terrible command.   He looks like Greg Maddux compared to Mike Wright.   Mike Wright can't sequence 3 good pitches in a row.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’d be fine trying that too.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I love Hess but agree, he’s not quite ready.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hess was also better than “just okay” last season. He had a few rough outings, mostly in the first half of the season, but was very good from late June on. 

• Like 1