Luke-OH

2018 MLB Draft Discussion

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

73 miles and I am heading that way for a wedding 6/16.

They are opening one in ST Pete next.  I hope I don't lose some of the better employees to the new location.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I want Boy Wonder to stick for Grayson.

Maybe if we still had Arrieta as a grown up Texan Batman.  Now with Bundy there's the whole OK/TX Red River rivalry deal.

Just now, OrioleDog said:

Maybe if we still had Arrieta as a grown up Texan Batman.  Now with Bundy there's the whole OK/TX Red River rivalry deal.

I expect Bundy to be gone by the time we see Grayson. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect Bundy to be gone by the time we see Grayson. 

Or by August. 

Ok, I like the pick.  I'll go on record. 

I wanted a position player but 98 mph with four pitches ain't too shabby.

The draft is really a crapshoot.  I remember the 2 picks I was most excited about were Bundy and Loewen.  I thought both of them would be aces when they were drafted.  There were numerous warning signs about Bundy's over usage that he would be hurt quickly.  What I am least excited about this pick is that he's a high school pitcher and the O's have a poor record of developing quality starters.  I would much rather the O's picked a college pitcher or hitter or a high school hitter.  I hope the O's prove me wrong and he develops into a top of rotation starter.  All of the O's first round picks spent on pitchers in the last 15+ years and the best the O's have done is Bundy's vacillation between brilliant and terrible.  Who's the 2nd best pitcher picked in the first round in that time?  Matusz?  

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

The draft is really a crapshoot.  I remember the 2 picks I was most excited about were Bundy and Loewen.  I thought both of them would be aces when they were drafted.  There were numerous warning signs about Bundy's over usage that he would be hurt quickly.  What I am least excited about this pick is that he's a high school pitcher and the O's have a poor record of developing quality starters.  I would much rather the O's picked a college pitcher or hitter or a high school hitter.  I hope the O's prove me wrong and he develops into a top of rotation starter.  All of the O's first round picks spent on pitchers in the last 15+ years and the best the O's have done is Bundy's vacillation between brilliant and terrible.  Who's the 2nd best pitcher picked in the first round in that time?  Matusz?  

You think Matusz is better than Gausman?

1 minute ago, joelala said:

Ok, I like the pick.  I'll go on record. 

I wanted a position player but 98 mph with four pitches ain't too shabby.

Any idea where Rodriguez would slot in on our prospect rankings? Not that our prospect list is all that glamorous. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Gausman too

For all the Hobgood comparisons, the two things that rubbed me the wrong way about Hobgood were 1: he was pudgy as a high schooler, and 2: he was drafted at 5.  Rodriguez is a big kid, but he doesn't look overweight, and he was drafted 6 picks later.

Also, apparently Hobgood was a 91-94 guy that touched 96.  While Rodriguez's sitting velocity is similar, it sounds like at his max is a bit higher at 98.  It's probably a bit of an overdraft but it seems to be a better gamble than Hobgood was at least in my initial assessment, although that depends on the signing amount and what else we snag with the money saved (assuming we do save money.)