Luke-OH

2018 MLB Draft Discussion

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Doesn't the NFL have a better chance of a late round draft pick, becoming a star and even HOF?

Or is my brain all messed up today?

NFL draft picks in general have a better shot at making the HOF.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If he was rated in the mid 60s by most of the national "experts", then no.  He wouldn't have been.  I don't think this was a need pick in the traditional sense.  They aren't picking him because they have a need at the ML level.  But, they do have a clear organizational need for a good defensive short stop.  We don't have one guy that profiles as a major league caliber SS in our minor league system beyond, possibly, Adam Hall, who still isn't playing in real games and may not start above the Gulf Coast League this year.

I disagree.  I think they did draft him for need.  Gary hinted at drafting for need in a pre-draft interview, and he even used the word "need" when interviewed by Melewski:

“We feel very good about the day. We got the pitcher we all wanted and we also addressed a need,” he said. “We got two things accomplished today that were very important to the future of this organization."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/06/os-gary-rajsich-and-clubs-top-two-picks-talk-about-the-draft.html

I liked Grenier, but nowhere near the 1st round.  I would have been happy with him in the 3rd round.  I want upside in the 1st round, and I don't see it with him.  I think he might be a Paul Janish type, which is valuable but you don't spend a 1st round pick to get that type of player.  If we wanted a SS, why not Edwards or Jackson?  

MLBTR

• As many of those evaluations reflect, the Rays were credited by many for taking advantage of their large overall bonus pool to snag top talent despite a mid-first-round position. As one example, Tampa Bay grabbed lefty Shane McClanahan with the 31st selection. The University of South Florida junior had notified teams he wanted a $3MM bonus to sign, per Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs (via Twitter). Now, says McDaniel, McClanahan and the team will likely have to compromise a bit. His selection spot came with a $2.22MM slot allocation, but the Tampa Bay organization will also be working to sign another top talent who came off the board later than expected in first-round pick Matthew Liberatore.

1 minute ago, DRJacobs said:

Let me see if I understand correct. We passed on two-three (Winn, Singer or Liberatore) consensus pitchers for a hs kid projected back end of first round/second round that "suddenly" put on weight? Then before the paint was dry, we selected a future Jace Paterson with the 1st round Competitive Balance pick? What am I missing? I had read all these articles on how good the new Scouting Director is but I am at a loss for words.

NOW I just got an alert that we discussing signing a child molestor. My mother was molested by her preist at a young age and she struggled her whole life with that. I don't think that is funny. I don't think I can continue to support an organization that dismisses child molestation.

Who is the child molester? 

2 minutes ago, DRJacobs said:

Let me see if I understand correct. We passed on two-three (Winn, Singer or Liberatore) consensus pitchers for a hs kid projected back end of first round/second round that "suddenly" put on weight? Then before the paint was dry, we selected a future Jace Paterson with the 1st round Competitive Balance pick? What am I missing? I had read all these articles on how good the new Scouting Director is but I am at a loss for words.

NOW I just got an alert that we discussing signing a child molestor. My mother was molested by her preist at a young age and she struggled her whole life with that. I don't think that is funny. I don't think I can continue to support an organization that dismisses child molestation.

This has been discussed on the board already.

How about we don't rehash it?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This has been discussed on the board already.

How about we don't rehash it?

Yeah Corn, I like you but a little sensitivity here I think is in order.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Yeah Corn, I like you but a little sensitivity here I think is in order.

I was nothing but polite.

The topic has been discussed and is the type of topic that will get folks in a heated state.

Little is to be served by reopening the discussion about a 2017 incident in a 2018 draft thread.

If you will notice the "insensitive" person was polite and the "aggrieved party" was aggressive.

I would have hoped you would have at the very least chastised both of us considering the language used toward me.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rene88 said:

Okay. But that’s a pretty alarming thing that the Orioles are considering  him?? Don’t you think? I can’t believe that! That crushes my heart. Is there any other info but that article you know about???

There is a thread about the issue.  My views can be seen there.  Also a Lena Dunham dig I was pretty proud of.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is a thread about the issue.  My views can be seen there.  Also a Lena Dunham dig I was pretty proud of.

Where is this thread? I appreciate digs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Where is this thread?

I don't know.  It does exist, someone bumped it recently.  Do a search for the kid's name would be my suggestion.

Edit- There we go someone found it.

Edited by Can_of_corn