Luke-OH

2018 MLB Draft Discussion

Just now, atomic said:

I like to read about the players that we drafted.  But everyone ruins it by having to judge the pick like they have a clue whether some player they have never seen is going to be a good player or not.  Everyone is an expert on something they know nothing about is what becomes tiresome.  

It pays to be humble when opining on these guys, that’s for sure.    There are definitely posters who spend a lot of time looking at video, reading all the scouting reports etc. and I like hearing their views.    At the end of the day, we have to hope the Orioles’ scouting department knows more than they do.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting notes from Melewski's latest:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/06/os-make-progress-on-draft-signings-and-rajsich-on-day-two.html

Of their first 10 picks, the Orioles took eight pitchers, seven from the college ranks.

“I didn’t plan it that way,” said Rajsich. “But position players are a little scarce, like we said before the draft. We will try and add some more on Wednesday, but we can’t make any promises.”

Of the pitchers the Orioles have selected thus far, all are expected to begin their pro careers trying to make it as starting pitchers.

The draft resumes today at Noon ET with rounds 11 through 40.

“Maybe we can go after some guys that were unsignable on days one and two that we like. Maybe their figures change and we can go after some of those guys. Then around the 20th pick we could look to fill some needs that we have in the organization. We want players with tools that have a chance to advance.”

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It pays to be humble when opining on these guys, that’s for sure.    There are definitely posters who spend a lot of time looking at video, reading all the scouting reports etc. and I like hearing their views.    At the end of the day, we have to hope the Orioles’ scouting department knows more than they do.

Some of us just wing it and go on gut instinct.  😉

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Then you have people on here going on for a year how great a pick Matusz or Sedlock was and they are our #1 prospect.  And they turn out to be total duds. Look how high rated DL Hall was on here before the season started here.  When his only professional experience was getting shelled in 5 Gulf Coast games.     When players start producing at a young age in AA it becomes interesting. 

This is why I don't like the whole "who is a prospect vs. who isn't" thing when it comes to watching players.

31 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This is why I don't like the whole "who is a prospect vs. who isn't" thing when it comes to watching players.

Some folks are scouts. Some folks talk with scouts. Some folks talk about scouts. 

I can't recall being more disappointed in an O's draft in which we had a full complement of picks (he CBA pick replacing our 2nd-rounder.)  I claim no expertise, nor access to vital information that goes into choosing these young men, so I understand those that would scoff at such a view. Rightfully so.  Naturally, as an O's fan, I hope Rajsich and company prove me wrong. 

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

You’re wrong about the 2016 draft.   The O’s took 16 pitchers in their first 19 selections, including Sedlock/Akin/Dietz at the top.    It’s ridiculous to be that pitcher heavy 2 times in 3 years (or ever, IMO).

You're right, my bad.  I was confusing the 2016 draft with the 2015 (DJ Stewart) draft, which I think was a reaction to how badly the O's were hurting for decent corner bats that season.  

John Sickels has an overview of the AL East draft up.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/6/6/17436250/mlb-draft-recap-al-east

For the Orioles:

Best Pick: Cadyn Grenier, SS, Oregon State – Round 2, Pick 37 – I am in the minority on this pick, but I think Grenier is going to be a very good pro. He is in consideration as the best defensive shortstop in the draft and saw innings at both second and third at times this season with the Beavers. He will never provide much power, but he has a quick bat with a line drive swing. He has the floor of a plus defensive utilityman with the upside of a quality starting shortstop. His back foot does bail on his swing at times which saps any power that he does possess, so fixing that could allow him to be a 10 HR guy.

Reach: Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Central Heights HS (TX) – Round 1, Pick 11 – There is a lot to like about Grayson Rodriguez, but also a lot to be concerned with. He has a fastball that flirts with triple digits with life to go with two really good secondary pitches. He also shows intelligence by varying his delivery and quick pitching at times. So what isn’t to like? His velocity seems easy, but there is a pause in it that takes away any momentum from his lower half. Add that to a heavy arm bend in his 3/4 slot delivery and sudden increase in velocity this spring screams future arm trouble. The breaking ball can be telegraphed, which advanced hitters will pick up on, and his curve can spin and hang too often. His upside is still great, I am just not sold he will reach it.

He goes on to place Blaine Knight as a sleeper and I think it's a good pick.  I kind of agree about Rodriguez but not about Grenier.  I remain skeptical that Grenier will ever hit enought to stick at the ML level and Rodriguez may develop just fine, but to pass on Liberatore will be something I think the Orioles will regret in the future.  I hope not too much.  Sickels has the Rays getting Liberatore at 16 as a steal and he's right.  Shouldn't have happened.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Favorite (signable) round 11-40 picks in order drafted, not by preference.  Check out the draft tracker for my takes on most of the draftees. Also keep an eye out for my Draft Recap piece coming out later today.

11. Cody Roberts

14. Doran Turchin

15. Cody Hacker

16. Parker McFadden

18. Jake Zebron

34. Trey Truitt

Andrew Jayne and Trey Whitley are interesting athletic CF types, but I know almost nothing about them.

Caleb Kilian is also a favorite, but not sure if he'll sign, definitely will take overslot.

Slade Cecconi will not sign, obviously he's a very good talent.

• Upvote 1