Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Manny's defense at SS

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

He needs to work on his transfer/release time. He takes to long to get rid of the ball after he gloves it. It's partly the hotdogging he got away with at third with a shorter throw to first.

Teams have really scouted his slow release time and everyone is running all out when they hit what should be a routine grounder to short. The other day he barely threw out a catcher (McCann I think) on a routine grounder when he held the ball for an extra step. I think most things he will clear up, and he'll learn that he will have to play some hitters more shallow dispite how good he thinks his arm is

Actually, the throw is longer from SS, but not by much.  The biggest difference is that you have less time to make the throw, because you catch the ball so far into the hole.  At 3rd, you catch the ball much closer to the batter's box.

25 minutes ago, Hallas said:

According to some reports, JJ Hardy was the 2nd or 3rd slowest member on the team, including the seasons when he was a +10 on defensive runs.  I think first step instincts is something that can't be taught, and that's what made Hardy an elite defensive SS well into his 30s.  It's also not like raw speed in that it doesn't suffer the same sort of decline phase.

Obviously Cal was slow as well.  But there is a level of baseball intelligence and forethought and obsessive attention to routine, mundane aspects of playing short that they were better at than Manny has been to date. 

Cal’s arm and footwork was vastly underrated. Not only did it allow him to play deeper than most SS and enhance his range, but also made his double play turn best in baseball.  And after his first couple years where high in throwing errors, Cal became extremely consistent and accurate.

Manny has an elite arm but is re-learning how it plays at SS.  Without the throwing miscues, he would be positive in DRS I would think...

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Obviously Cal was slow as well.  But there is a level of baseball intelligence and forethought and obsessive attention to routine, mundane aspects of playing short that they were better at than Manny has been to date. 

I think Cal's intuitive understanding of micro-shifts helped a him a lot.  With Hardy, I think it was reflexes.  I remember LarryTT saying he was the best ping pong player on the O's, which I think is a sport that relies heavily on reaction time.

All that said, I don't really understand why Manny looks worse.  He played a really good SS last season when he was covering for Hardy.  But he definitely looks worse.

Part of me thinks that maybe he's not as bad as he's shown (even if he has a few kinks to work out) but he's under a bigger microscope because of his pedigree, and because everyone and their mother is doing a root-cause analysis for why the Orioles suck.

• Upvote 3

Manny made a brilliant play tonight, diving to stop a grounder up the middle and flipping the ball backhand to 2B on a hop to get an inning ending force play.   

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny made a brilliant play tonight, diving to stop a grounder up the middle and flipping the ball backhand to 2B on a hop to get an inning ending force play.   

was a highlight reel play.  

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a pretty good take overall. I do think this is an adjustment phase, but I don't expect him to suddenly become one of the best defensive shortstops around.The good news though is playing SS could help his value when they decide to trade him.

Tony, do you think Angelos will alllow DD to trade Manny?  I do think he should be at 3rd. 

On 4/20/2018 at 9:58 AM, TommyPickles said:

I missed the game where he had two throwing errors, but I have to say, I think he’s looked pretty good in the twelve or so games I’ve watched. I think he’ll have a plus dWAR by the time the season finishes.

Beckham on the other hand looks uncomfortable at third. Valencia looks bad defensively too. Sardinas looks bad defensively too. 

From what I understand, it’s difficult for a SS to have a negative dWAR because of the positional adjustment.   You have to be really bad to not finish with a plus dWAR. 

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

From what I understand, it’s difficult for a SS to have a negative dWAR because of the positional adjustment.   You have to be really bad to not finish with a plus dWAR. 

Jeter did that for 10 years in a row xD

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Jeter was one of the worst defensive SS of all time. 

At this point, I'm more worried about 2B. This Sardinas dude sucks. He can't hit so he is here to field and he can't even do that. 

• Upvote 1

Bump...three errors in three days for Manny, plus there was an inaccurate throw to Peterson last night where the error was charged to Peterson.    That probably evens things out, because one of his three charged errors could have been charged to Caleb Joseph when he couldn’t keep a one-hop relay throw to the plate in front of him.   But, Manny’s been very erratic on this road trip.   

• Upvote 1