Roy Firestone

Simple question. Have you lost hope?

I’ll stick it out because I like baseball and the orioles are the team I cheer  for. Have since ‘53.  It will be a long, bad season. Maybe I’ll look for the Indians, like I did in  ‘54 when the Orioles faded early that year and the Indians interrupted that 5 year Yankee run. Go O’s.  It’s easier now with the net to find another team to root for in case of emergency. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I can't say I have. I don't expect a miracle. I don't expect to even finish with a winning record or even.500.But hope is hard to abandon in April.You?

Since I've been with the Birds since my father took me to Memorial Stadium in 1954 to watch Bob Turley,  I'm not giving up now.  But it's really, really tough.  I think everyone in management needs to go before we can hope for a brighter dawn.  May I still be here when it comes.

The line up they out out today isn't going to win 60 games.  Hopefully Schoop and Mancini are back soon,  Sisco plays everyday and some of the dead wood gets removed.

Not at all. They can all play better than they are and they will. When Santander's 44 days are up send him down bring up Mullins to play CF and move Jones to RF. We'd be replacing Santander's bat with Mullins' not likely to be a down grade and, improving OF defense a great deal.

Edited by El Gordo

1 minute ago, atomic said:

The line up they out out today isn't going to win 60 games.  Hopefully Schoop and Mancini are back soon,  Sisco plays everyday and some of the dead wood gets removed.

Yes!!!

Can't lose what you never had in the first place.                                                                                            

• Upvote 3

I’m not expecting anything out of them. They’re my team, but to play close to .600 ball the rest of the way and make one of the two Wild Card spots is a bridge too far. In my opinion, of course. That doesn’t mean I won’t pull for them every day and get excited about highlights and occasional good play and seeing younger players emerge. They’re just not a good team as currently constructed. The only bonus with having no expectations is when you’re sometimes pleasantly surprised. Not gonna mope, I just accept this is what they are. I will likely listen to them on the radio a good deal more and be busy around the house (be a more productive family man)  rather than sit and watch on MASN, however. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I hope we have a plan to put together a good team in 2020, w/ Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Harvey, __________ rotation

That's what I'm hoping for.  Minus Gausman, I don't have hope for that guy.

Hopefully Mullins and Hays are guys we can build around.  

• Upvote 2

o

Not at all.

As I've started before, I would not be surprised if Cobb took until his 4th or 5th start of the year to come around, because he had no Spring Training to acclimate himself into the season. When he does, I think that you'll see less pressure on the bullpen and the other starters. 

If you look at last year's 22-10 start after 32 games in hindsight, you can see that there would be no way that that kind of pace could have stood up with only 2 legitimate starters for the entire season (Bundy and Gausman.)

This season, the opposite has happened ...... the Orioles have 4 legitimate starters (which is good for the long run), but their W-L run to start the season is in the toilet.

I acknowledge that it is possible that the Orioles may have dug themselves too big of a hole already in what is perennially the toughest division in baseball by starting the season at 6-16, but I still would much rather have their current situation (one big hole in the starting rotation) than last year's situation (3 big holes in the starting rotation, even with an excellent 22-10 start to the season.)

o

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's what I'm hoping for.  Minus Gausman, I don't have hope for that guy.

Hopefully Mullins and Hays are guys we can build around.  

Ehhh... He hasn't been good this season, but he's only had one "bad" start. He gave us a chance to win in the three others.