Roy Firestone

Simple question. Have you lost hope?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m with you, Roy.    The odds stink, but it’s too early in the season to give up hope.  

Theres something else here too.

Baseball, regardless of a teams record, is a kind of "vehicle for hope", for me anyway.

That is, no matter how bad a team is, no matter how disappointing a team can be..theres always a game the next day or soon. 

There is always a hope to see something amazing or wonderful, or a simple pleasure of seeing something you have rarely seen before.

Hope is manifested in an investment in joy and promise.

I saw some things that made me smile this weekend...Manny and his torrid hitting, Sisco and his three throw outs when everyone dismissed him defensively.

I loved watching Bundy deal and again, Manny making a spectacular play behind second base.

Yes, the team is likely going nowhere this season.

Manny will likely not not back next year...but hope isn't always wrapped up in only wins and losses and the chance to be a champion.

Hope comes in ways that are what make the game truly the greatest in the world.

A hope to see your team, your players excite you, inspire you, entertain you.

Thats what my "hope" comes from.

There have been and will be better Oriole teams, there will be better times...but I hope for my team to grow and improve and see some players blossom and become fan favorites...Trey Mancini gives me hope.

Hope and love are two things that I get from Oriole baseball.

It cannot be extinguished in me. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Not at all. They can all play better than they are and they will. When Santander's 44 days are up send him down bring up Mullins to play CF and move Jones to RF. We'd be replacing Santander's bat with Mullins' not likely to be a down grade and, improving OF defense a great deal.

I agree, but Jones isn’t moving off CF.

• Upvote 1

I have given up hope for this season, but not for the future.  I think the worst thing that could have happened this year was to hang around .500, trade prospects for an upgrade at the deadline, and get nothing for our vets other than a pick for Manny.

Even this blind front office/ownership has to realize this is not a contending team.  It's like 1998 all over again, and the question is will the O's do a true rebuild or just try to apply bandaids to a gaping wound.

• Upvote 1

This certainly looks like a 100 loss team. But, if the front office finally realizes it's time for a rebuild, I'm hopeful for the future. 

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I can't say I have. I don't expect a miracle. I don't expect to even finish with a winning record or even.500.But hope is hard to abandon in April.You?

I just went to two games. 

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I agree, but Jones isn’t moving off CF.

Under no circumstances will he move this season.

140 left. We have to go 75-65 just to finish .500. 80-60 for 86 wins and chances for the WC2. 

I’ll watch the games. Manny is going to have one of the best seasons in Orioles History. The Rotation isn’t that bad. 

This team isn’t fun to watch right now. It will be more fun in August once the youngins are up and Tillman is gone.

For now, I have Sisco’s ABs, and checking the Bowie boxscore for hope. 

Too early to fully give up hope.  Baseball's a long season.  I think once they get healthy they're not a terrible team.  Not great, but not awful either.  

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Too early to fully give up hope.  Baseball's a long season.  I think once they get healthy they're not a terrible team.  Not great, but not awful either.  

I thought they had some chance for the second wild card  if Davis had a decent season and better starting pitching. They are almost done but have 4 against the White Sox,three against the Royals,three against the Tigers at home and about nine against the Rays.. Will see where they are at on May 27th. The Rays have won 4 in a row and five of their last six so you never know. Tigers have also won five or last six before yesterday.

I thought they should do a rebuild before the season started.  I was willing to play along with the “go for it before we lose machado” concept, but now that we are practically out of it, the focus needs to be on replenishing and developing young talent.  The front office is in disarray with no clear idea of who is really in charge.  Whoever is making the decisions has a massively important task ahead of them — getting value for Manny, Cashner, and Brach/jones if they can get their acts together.  It will determine the direction of the organization for the next five years. Lets hope it resembles the macphail deals more than the 2000 syd thrift selloff.  If i were brady/dd i would start now and bring in a task force of scouts and analysts to evaluate all the potential prospects we might be able to land in a trade.  Huge stakes and we absolutely have to get this right especially with the cd contract hobbling our payroll until 2022.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

I thought they had some chance for the second wild card  if Davis had a decent season and better starting pitching. They are almost done but have 4 against the White Sox,three against the Royals,three against the Tigers at home and about nine against the Rays.. Will see where they are at on May 27th. The Rays have won 4 in a row and five of their last six so you never know. Tigers have also won five or last six before yesterday.

Yeah, that's why the Tigers series was such a killer.  Thought they'd be able to get 2/3 there.  8-14 still isn't good, but it looks a lot better than 6-16.  Figured they be 4-5 games under in April with the schedule.  Just wanted them not to get buried, which unfortunately is what happened.

They'll get healthier, they'll start playing better eventually.  Probably too late, but - youneverknow.

I have no hope for this season  - the only things to be determined is whether we finish ahead or behind Tampa in the division and how close to the bottom of the overall league we end up - could be looking at a very nice draft slot for next year. However, I do have a glimmer of hope for the future. Bundy looks like an ace, and the team has started so poorly that we surely will be disabused of any notion of trying to compete. I'm hopeful that our W-L record being in complete shambles will motivate the franchise to start trying to deal vets for prospects and youth and get the rebuild stated.