webbrick2010

Is this rock bottom?

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, I'm sure if they released Gentry Davis would get the message and stop sucking so hard.  Trumbo would probably became a decent outfielder.  Susac would start to hit.  The list goes on and on.

I would have liked to have seen Roch or somebody ask Gentry was exactly he was thinking. Just morbidly curious as to what his response would be. 

I'm sure he wasn't trying to do something stupid. What's even more amazing is that the Nats actually thought it a good idea to run a pickoff play at 2nd base in a situation where no reasonable human being would be running. Perfect storm of ****, which basically happens every single night.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, I'm sure if they released Gentry Davis would get the message and stop sucking so hard.  Trumbo would probably became a decent outfielder.  Susac would start to hit.  The list goes on and on.

Machado would volunteer to move back to third and run out pop-ups. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I would have liked to have seen Roch or somebody ask Gentry was exactly he was thinking. Just morbidly curious as to what his response would be. 

I'm sure he wasn't trying to do something stupid. What's even more amazing is that the Nats actually thought it a good idea to run a pickoff play at 2nd base in a situation where no reasonable human being would be running. Perfect storm of ****, which basically happens every single night.

I didn't see the play but was Gentry just trying to steal third?   Maybe he had a bigger lead than normal.  I don't understand why you would try and steal third at that point unless it was part of a double steal.  But Buck said it was not.

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

I didn't see the play but was Gentry just trying to steal third?   Maybe he had a bigger lead than normal.  I don't understand why you would try and steal third at that point unless it was part of a double steal.  But Buck said it was not.

Yeah, he was definitely running on the play. I think he just figured he could catch Doolittle napping because his run didn't matter. 

It's just really a staggeringly dumb play given the circumstances. 

We just had a 3 game series and only scored 2 runs and were shutout twice. Is that rock bottom? 

49 minutes ago, Natty said:

We just had a 3 game series and only scored 2 runs and were shutout twice. Is that rock bottom? 

Only two runs away from rock bottom...

May not be the bottom, but can sure see it from here. 

At the bottom of MLB in:

Win % at .298

Losses at 40

GB at 21.5

Longest current losing streak at 6

Isn’t this the part of the movie where the manager finally decides to give Roy Hobbs a try? I think it’s when Bump Bailey crashes through the fence and is laid to rest two days later. 

31 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

May not be the bottom, but can sure see it from here. 

At the bottom of MLB in:

Win % at .298

Losses at 40

GB at 21.5

Longest current losing streak at 6

Isn’t this the part of the movie where the manager finally decides to give Roy Hobbs a try? I think it’s when Bump Bailey crashes through the fence and is laid to rest two days later. 

Unfortunately in this movie, the part of Roy Hobbs will be played by Colby Rasmus and his bad hip.  I'd settle for a sudden retirement by Chris Davis.  

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Win % at .298

On pace for a  48-114 season.  

Isn't that about what you'd expect if you moved an entire AA team into the MLB?

49 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

On pace for a  48-114 season.  

Isn't that about what you'd expect if you moved an entire AA team into the MLB?

Yes, at our current .298 winning % (17-40), we're on pace for a 48-114 season.  I think the odds of us remaining at this pace are low, but losing 100 games is still very possible. If the over/under were at 100 losses, would you take the over or under?

28 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yes, at our current .298 winning % (17-40), we're on pace for a 48-114 season.  I think the odds of us remaining at this pace are low, but losing 100 games is still very possible. If the over/under were at 100 losses, would you take the over or under?

Over.  The organization doesn’t seem to want to take drastic measures to shake things up.

• Upvote 1

When you are the only team in the majors with a winning percentage less than .300...Is this rock bottom?

On 4/24/2018 at 6:45 PM, RZNJ said:

Angelos has spent money.  There was a time in the late 90's when we had the highest payroll in baseball and it remained up there.   We had the worst team money could buy for some time.   They they kept losing and bottomed out with the payroll.   Now, once again, we have a payroll of a playoff team but not the talent that this payroll amount should have gotten.    Too many times when they have spent money, they have not spent wisely.

It all starts at the top.  Angelos thinks he's smarter than everyone else.   And more principled.    He wouldn't sign FA Cubans on principle.   He won't engage in the International market like other teams because he's smarter than everyone else.   He runs a baseball hierarchy where the assistant GM's opinion carries more weight than the GM.   He had a two headed GM at one time.   No respectable GM candidate even wanted to work for the Orioles after MacPhail left.      

You guys still hate Dexter Fowler and think he screwed the Orioles.  Haha.   I give Fowler the benefit of the doubt.   The Orioles screwed that one up.  Remember how pissed off Fowler's agent was and Duquette barely defended the Orioles.    Too many cooks spoil the stew or whatever they say.   When you talk to the Orioles you don't know if you should be talking to DD, Brady, or one of the Angelos boys.   When in doubt, figure it was the Orioles who are in the wrong.   It all starts at the top.

Peter Angelos has spent money.  That hasn't been the problem.    He doesn't trust a baseball man to run his team and make the big decisions and he has always had a habit of butting in regarding FA's and even the amateur draft.

Agreed. But Dexter ain't good. 

Mozeliak addressed veteran Dexter Fowler, in particular. The top St. Louis baseball executive offered some rather surprisingly pointed words on the respected and highly-paid Fowler:

“I’ve also heard a lot of people come up to me and question his effort and his energy level. Those are things that I can’t defend. What I can defend is trying to create opportunities for him, but not if it’s at the expense of someone that’s out there hustling and playing hard.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

• Upvote 1