Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

What a sad and dreary season this has been...

27 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Dempsey said something after the game that was strange.Said Sisco and others don't know how to handle losing properly.

Well, the good news is that they're going to get plenty of practice at it.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Perhaps what's worse? Notice how the O's can't call up anybody with impact talent. This is how poorly Duquette has ran the organization as a whole. He completely sacrificed the future for short term success.

We suck. That’s an easy call, but we have some guys in AA/AAA that are a half season away from contributing.

SP:  

Harvey, Akin - AA

RP:

Scott - MLB. Hess-AAA

OF:

Stewart- AAA

Mullins, Hays, Rifeala - AA

DH:

Mountcastle- AA DL

Were just thin on Middle IF prospects. 

7 hours ago, atomic said:

They have guys in minors who have the potential to be good players but for some reason they won't call them up. 

Because they’re not ready.   

• Upvote 1

I feel like this team could make the playoffs in 2020.

The starting pitching has looked a lot better than the 6-18 record would suggest. Tillman has been dreadful and Cobb’s still finding his groove, but otherwise I’ve actually been pretty impressed. If Cashner pitches we’ll over the next two years, the Os will take the team option for 2020. That would presumably leave us with this as our rotation:

1. Bundy 

2. Cobb

3. Gausman

4. Cashner

5. Harvey

I also feel like this would be enough time for some of the outfield prospects to make it to the majors and start really producing. Our outfield could look something like this:

RF- Hays

CF- Mullins

LF- Stewart

4th OF- Rickard

5th OF- Santander

(Or maybe they resign Jones and he plays the sun set of his career in LF, playing something of a JJ Hardy esque mentoring role while turning in passable, if not great, numbers)

The infield is a little more tricky. But I like our catching with Sisco and Wynns, and for better or worse we have a first baseman penciled in. Mountcastle is working his way up and should be MLB ready by then.

Thats the earliest I see us competing. I hope to see a lot of these players this year.  Craig Gentry is almost 35. Danny Valencia is not gonna be on this team in two years. Let’s start building towards the future not clinging to the past.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

I feel like this team could make the playoffs in 2020.

The starting pitching has looked a lot better than the 6-18 record would suggest. Tillman has been dreadful and Cobb’s still finding his groove, but otherwise I’ve actually been pretty impressed. If Cashner pitches we’ll over the next two years, the Os will take the team option for 2020. That would presumably leave us with this as our rotation:

1. Bundy 

2. Cobb

3. Gausman

4. Cashner

5. Harvey

I also feel like this would be enough time for some of the outfield prospects to make it to the majors and start really producing. Our outfield could look something like this:

RF- Hays

CF- Mullins

LF- Stewart

4th OF- Rickard

5th OF- Santander

(Or maybe they resign Jones and he plays the sun set of his career in LF, playing something of a JJ Hardy esque mentoring role while turning in passable, if not great, numbers)

The infield is a little more tricky. But I like our catching with Sisco and Wynns, and for better or worse we have a first baseman penciled in. Mountcastle is working his way up and should be MLB ready by then.

Thats the earliest I see us competing. I hope to see a lot of these players this year.  Craig Gentry is almost 35. Danny Valencia is not gonna be on this team in two years. Let’s start building towards the future not clinging to the past.

You can buy an infield.  That roster doesn't cost much at all.

• Upvote 1

Schoop said yesterday that he could be back in a week.  I don't know if the O's agree with that but getting the O's #3 hitter back could help this team.  Trumbo will replace Alvarez in about about a week.  I don't know what the O's are waiting on to promote Rickard to play right field and push Santander to the bench.  Rickard could be the O's leadoff hitter.   Susac  could replace Caleb  for a while.   Given Caleb a chance to get his bat started in AAA.   I would replace Sardinas with Corban Joseph but I doubt the O's will.  Corban has an option left for when Schoop come back.   This offense could look different in the near future if the O's will make some changes.

I’m very frustrated with this team, and honestly, despondent about going through another 5 months without being even remotely in the race for a playoff spot.   It is little solace to me that, with the benefit of clarity, there is little doubt that the team needs to trade current assets and build for the future.    I fear that a rebuild may take several years and it’s going to be painful watching this team in the interim.    

The shame of it is, the investment they finally made in improving the starting pitching will be largely wasted.     

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

..and its still not May. Theres no way this team can dig themselves out of this kind of hole and compete at a high level. Too many poor performances...too many injuries, and too many teams that are better than us.

I just watch to see if someone is exciting going forward for the future. I think you can kiss Adam, Manny, Zach, Brach, and other goodbye.

This team will have to have a long, painful rebuild.

We had our window. The window closed...on our hands.

This is painful to watch.

I thought we'd be better than this.But the reality is..we are a poor baseball club .

Gonna be a loooooong summer.

Thanks for pointing this out. This may be the most disappointed I have been with the O's. Perhaps I had my expectations higher than I should have, but this team had the potential to be more than they have shown.

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

..and its still not May. Theres no way this team can dig themselves out of this kind of hole and compete at a high level. Too many poor performances...too many injuries, and too many teams that are better than us.

I just watch to see if someone is exciting going forward for the future. I think you can kiss Adam, Manny, Zach, Brach, and other goodbye.

This team will have to have a long, painful rebuild.

We had our window. The window closed...on our hands.

This is painful to watch.

I thought we'd be better than this.But the reality is..we are a poor baseball club .

Gonna be a loooooong summer.

I thought they'd be better too. But I love baseball. I will still cheer for the O's and enjoy baseball. 

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Great summary of the Buck-Duquette-Jones era. 

Davis only has 4 years after this, so it doesn't have to take 10 years to rebuild. Could be as fast as five!

You forgot to list Angelos. He has been the main problem.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is little solace to me that, with the benefit of clarity, there is little doubt that the team needs to trade current assets and build for the future.    I fear that a rebuild may take several years and it’s going to be painful watching this team in the interim.  

Apologies in advance, in Japan on borrowed phone with bad internet. I agree with this 100℅. My frustration is that they have marginalised DD but in the past in Montreal and Boston he has shown the ability to find talent from multiple sources when allowed to do his job. He has improved the minors drafting with one hand tied behind his back. Who the hell else is going to be able to work in this  FO environment? Such a looming disaster that doesn't need to happen. I'm not an apologist for DD, be has made plenty of bad decisions, but that is what happens when staff aren't allowed the freedom to do their job. This organization wrote the Oriole Way, maybe Buck, Brady, and the Angelo's family should read it.

10 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Dempsey said something after the game that was strange.Said Sisco and others don't know how to handle losing properly.

What is the proper way to handle losing?  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Because they’re not ready.   

I am willing to bet there a lot more ready than Satander.