Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

What a sad and dreary season this has been...

55 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

It seems like a mistake, but perhaps Tillman figured "something" out on his last skip.  He wasn't very good against Cleveland though.  Just a bit lucky with 3 solos.

Maybe Buck knows something we don't.   Or maybe Tillman promised him a piece of his incentive if he earns it.

I think Buck has just lost it.  He is looking at some chart that show's Bundy pitched better with 5 days rest in 2017 so he wants him pushed back.  Never mind that Tillman will give up 8 runs in 2 innings.  

My new thought is Tillman should be left in to pitch 110 pitches no matter how badly he pitches.  No reason to wear out the bullpen on a game that is already lost. If he gives up 14 runs so be it.  

Also Buck reminds me of a quote from Warren Buffet.  He said something like to be a great investor a 135 IQ will serve you fine. Anything higher than that is just wasted.  The only problem is if you have a 135 IQ and you think you have a 165 IQ.  That will get you into trouble. 

I think Buck thinks he has the 165 IQ an is smarter than everyone else with the decisions he makes.  With the Davis lead-off. The multiple rule 5 guys. The no utility infielder.  The not skipping Tillman.    

42 minutes ago, atomic said:

Also Buck reminds me of a quote from Warren Buffet.  He said something like to be a great investor a 135 IQ will serve you fine. Anything higher than that is just wasted.  The only problem is if you have a 135 IQ and you think you have a 165 IQ.  That will get you into trouble. 

I think Buck thinks he has the 165 IQ an is smarter than everyone else with the decisions he makes.  With the Davis lead-off. The multiple rule 5 guys. The no utility infielder.  The not skipping Tillman.    

I think the Rule 5 infatuation is a Duquette thing.  Buck always goes on and on about how tough it is and how inflexible it makes the roster and how he can't just hide these guys...etc.  In short, pretty thinly veiled complaining about having Rule 5 guys on his 25 man roster.

8 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

I feel like this team could make the playoffs in 2020.

The starting pitching has looked a lot better than the 6-18 record would suggest. Tillman has been dreadful and Cobb’s still finding his groove, but otherwise I’ve actually been pretty impressed. If Cashner pitches we’ll over the next two years, the Os will take the team option for 2020. That would presumably leave us with this as our rotation:

1. Bundy 

2. Cobb

3. Gausman

4. Cashner

5. Harvey

I also feel like this would be enough time for some of the outfield prospects to make it to the majors and start really producing. Our outfield could look something like this:

RF- Hays

CF- Mullins

LF- Stewart

4th OF- Rickard

5th OF- Santander

(Or maybe they resign Jones and he plays the sun set of his career in LF, playing something of a JJ Hardy esque mentoring role while turning in passable, if not great, numbers)

The infield is a little more tricky. But I like our catching with Sisco and Wynns, and for better or worse we have a first baseman penciled in. Mountcastle is working his way up and should be MLB ready by then.

Thats the earliest I see us competing. I hope to see a lot of these players this year.  Craig Gentry is almost 35. Danny Valencia is not gonna be on this team in two years. Let’s start building towards the future not clinging to the past.

To complete the plan, trade Machado, Schoop and any or all of Britton, Brach and Jones for two or three good infield prospects, and draft a SS who projects to be a ML shortstop in a couple of years. (And start drafting international free agents.) When Beckham returns, he can audition for a future infield spot.

I think some version of that strategy is the only way forward that makes any sense. Is the team's owner (or whoever has the final say these days) capable of comprehending that and of changing the team's direction? You got me.  

6 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Apologies in advance, in Japan on borrowed phone with bad internet. I agree with this 100℅. My frustration is that they have marginalised DD but in the past in Montreal and Boston he has shown the ability to find talent from multiple sources when allowed to do his job. He has improved the minors drafting with one hand tied behind his back. Who the hell else is going to be able to work in this  FO environment? Such a looming disaster that doesn't need to happen. I'm not an apologist for DD, be has made plenty of bad decisions, but that is what happens when staff aren't allowed the freedom to do their job. This organization wrote the Oriole Way, maybe Buck, Brady, and the Angelo's family should read it.

Buck mentions the Oriole Way in this interview with Sara Perlman:

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

So Duquette should have talked Angelos into the International FA market?   Just like MacPhail and every other former baseball man in the organization was able to talk him into it?     I don't think so.   That is entirely on Peter Angelos who once overruled Pat Gillick, turned out to be right and forever more decided that he knew more than anyone else.

Packaging competitive balance picks along with relievers in order to get someone else to take the contract?   That doesn't sound like Angelos might have had something to do with that?   Hmmmm.    I don't think we know the answer 100% but I'm sure not convinced that Angelos' fingerprints aren't on that one.

The Fowler situation?   Again, we never got the whole story.   Do you really think Duquette handled that situation 100%?    I am skeptical.    I think what happened is that Brady or one of the Angelos boys were involved as well and there was a mixup on the Orioles end as far as thinking a deal was done.    When Fowler's agent ripped the O's, the Orioles organization was very, very quiet.   Duquette was left hung out to dry and he didn't really even go after the agent.   He kind of took one for the team.   I would not be surprised if John Angelos or Brady screwed that one up.

Duquette is not perfect but we'll never know the whole story.   Maybe Duquette can write a book someday.   I'd be interested in that one.

I think they're both to blame. Clearly they're able to dabble in the international market a la Wei-Yin Chen. Why haven't they since? Look at a Koji Uehara. Look at Tsuyoshi Wada. Now, they're not doing it nearly enough. It seems they won't dabble in Cuba nor will they do any of the posting processes over in the Asian markets.

Duquette has been socially awkward in the past. Just look at the verbiage and how Duquette talked to the media about Fowler. He's done this before. 

As for packaging competitive balance picks, in what world could this be anybody *but* Duquette? Hell, he's the one who signed Ryan Webb to a 2 year deal. And then he gives him away to the Dodgers AND a draft pick AND a catcher for Ben Rowen and Chris O'Brien. One of which was gone the same year and the other I have no idea where that player is. But here's the thing...so many of these were preventable.

Angelos didn't sign Ubaldo Jimenez.

Angelos didn't sign an injured Yovani Gallardo.

Angelos didn't build a 1 dimensional offensive roster.

Angelos didn't have 1 foot out the door after the O's won the AL East...try to get out of his contract...and then come back and sign Travis f'ing Snider.

Angelos didn't make Duquette trade Zach Davies for Parra. 

All in all, the O's are the Philadelphia Phillies shortly after their World Series. Old, expensive, one dimensional. Without a World Series to show for it, btw.

There have been a lot of boneheaded moves by Duquette that could have been easily preventable. Miguel Gonzalez? Maybe option him instead of cutting him especially when you're going into the season with a cobbled together rotation. Keep Davies instead of trading for Parra who would never move the needle. Don't give up picks like they're candy. Don't sign risky pitchers like Ubaldo for 4 years and lose a 1st round draft pick based on *limited* sample sizes. Don't sign injured starting pitchers like Gallardo and give up a 1st round draft pick...especially when you have an out from your doctors. They told you no...they've been right in the past. Listen. To. Them.

Duquette screwed up resigning Cruz. And he didn't want to repeat it...so he goes out and resigns Trumbo after a career year. Why? That's not on Angelos.

Listen, Angelos isn't perfect. But it's been clear since the first few years that Duquette was mortgaging the future to win now. And now we're dealing with it.  

RE: Duquette writing a book. I'd love to read it. I *do* think the front office is dysfunctional. I also do think Duquette was out of baseball for a long time for a reason. 

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

To complete the plan, trade Machado, Schoop and any or all of Britton, Brach and Jones for two or three good infield prospects, and draft a SS who projects to be a ML shortstop in a couple of years. (And start drafting international free agents.) When Beckham returns, he can audition for a future infield spot.

I think some version of that strategy is the only way forward that makes any sense. Is the team's owner (or whoever has the final say these days) capable of comprehending that and of changing the team's direction? You got me.  

Let's add in picking well at the number 11 first round slot this year and, probably, in the top 1-3 draft pick slots for next year and the year after that as we finish with the worst record in baseball. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m very frustrated with this team, and honestly, despondent about going through another 5 months without being even remotely in the race for a playoff spot.   It is little solace to me that, with the benefit of clarity, there is little doubt that the team needs to trade current assets and build for the future.    I fear that a rebuild may take several years and it’s going to be painful watching this team in the interim.    

The shame of it is, the investment they finally made in improving the starting pitching will be largely wasted.     

Then there's this consolation...

That "improved" starting pitching appears it might not be so great either. 

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Buck conference breathing hard and mad.Probably angriest I have ever seen him.Then Dempsey says the young guys are making many mistakes.Not that young a team on the field today.

Joseph and Jones are young compared to Rick.  I turned off Tv but taped postgame. Buck can’t enjoy seeing this garbage. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Joseph and Jones are young compared to Rick.  I turned off Tv buy taped postgame. Buck can’t enjoy seeing this garbage. 

Dempsey is better live for the shock factor.. The young guys don't know how to lose right was a classic yesterday.

13-39 over our last 52 games.

Thats almost a 3rd of a season of .333 baseball.

If Buck hasn't lost the clubhouse then he's just flat out lost his ability to be a good manager. And yes, some of this is on him and his awful lineup construction/decision making.

For the love of God, SELL before it's too late!!

9 hours ago, Norfolk orioles said:

13-39 over our last 52 games.

Thats almost a 3rd of a season of .333 baseball.

If Buck hasn't lost the clubhouse then he's just flat out lost his ability to be a good manager. And yes, some of this is on him and his awful lineup construction/decision making.

For the love of God, SELL before it's too late!!

The lineup produced 16 hits yesterday. The three errors and a horrendous Bundy start was the problem. They are snake bit right now. They hit when they don't pitch and defend. They pitch when they don't hit. And on and on. The starting pitching actually has a chance to be pretty good the rest of the year. I think they will play .500 ball or better in May and fan frustration level will decrease a LITTLE. The horrible start and aging regulars means a losing season, but the starting pitching has a chance to be consistently pretty good. That will eventually translate into winning games.