Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Brenan Hanifee 2018

Just now, HarlowFan said:

Thanks! It reads like a person's name and I couldn't think of an O's farmhand with that name.

Turner Ashby was a person.  He wasn't, however, a knight.

200px-Ashby2p.jpg

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Waiting to confirm this. 

Good stuff.  Although I think this should come as expected. Any other news out there on where any of our other prospects are going to start out?  

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Good stuff.  Although I think this should come as expected. Any other news out there on where any of our other prospects are going to start out?  

I hope the new regime gets him to K more people. Being a higher end prospect for the O's, the K rate has been weak to moderate. 

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Not yet. Nick reported this was told to him by Hanifees family.

7 minutes ago, cman.dc said:

I hope the new regime gets him to K more people. Being a higher end prospect for the O's, the K rate has been weak to moderate. 

He needs to be able to locate the slider, it has quality life (although it’d probably play better with the fastball if it had more gloveside and less depth) but it’s a right down the middle or waste pitch right now. The fastball actually misses bats really well for a 2S. It hasn’t translated to Ks though, one reason being he throws a ton of strikes.

Even with the low K rates, he's got a 3.86 SO/W ratio.  Doesn't that mitigate some of the issue with the low K rate?  

Gotta think it would be a big surprise if he doesn't star the season in Frederick.  

54 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Even with the low K rates, he's got a 3.86 SO/W ratio.  Doesn't that mitigate some of the issue with the low K rate?  

Gotta think it would be a big surprise if he doesn't star the season in Frederick.  

K%-BB% is probably a better measure because yeah, a low K rate hurts even with the BB rate so low. 

I think he’s going to be a 8K/9 guy eventually though. Honestly I think he could probably do it now if he really tried to, but then he wouldn’t go so deep in games. They limited him to 5 inning starts his last 7 starts because he’d racked up so many innings. I think he got through 5 IP in 50-60 pitches at times.

29 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

K%-BB% is probably a better measure because yeah, a low K rate hurts even with the BB rate so low. 

I think he’s going to be a 8K/9 guy eventually though. Honestly I think he could probably do it now if he really tried to, but then he wouldn’t go so deep in games. They limited him to 5 inning starts his last 7 starts because he’d racked up so many innings. I think he got through 5 IP in 50-60 pitches at times.

He was extremely efficient last year.   I do not think he’ll find the transition to A+ that difficult.   

Somehow, this kid didn't make it to my personal radar until just now. Nice profile in the prospect rankings, Luke. Definitely worth following. I like the combination of age, athleticism, stuff and control. Hopefully those secondaries continue to take the next step this year.

Big Hanifee fan, excited to see him at Frederick and maybe Bowie later on. Guy is a worker and those grounders will play.

Think he’s the type of guy that would really take a future rotation to the next level.