Frobby

Paging Manny Machado: Corey Seager out for the year with TJ surgery

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if they can get Buehler or Verdugo.  White, Lux, Santana, are all guys I would want.

I tend to agree with this. I think you could get Verdugo (assuming the Dodgers make another trade for another offensive piece), but even if you could get Verdugo, I'd be shocked if you can get him plus someone like White. You'd probably be looking at Verdugo plus someone like Christian Santana. Speaking of which, which Santana where you referring to in your comment Christian or Dennis?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

I tend to agree with this. I think you could get Verdugo (assuming the Dodgers make another trade for another offensive piece), but even if you could get Verdugo, I'd be shocked if you can get him plus someone like White. You'd probably be looking at Verdugo plus someone like Christian Santana. Speaking of which, which Santana where you referring to in your comment Christian or Dennis?

They were looking for a return similar to the deal that the Cards got for the outfielder a few years ago.

in comparison Verdugo is the top prospect and White (#99) according to the MLB.com page. They also go at a couple of other lesser pieces. such as one of May/Sheffield and one of Robison/Jackson/Brito/Bannon

Id would be happy with either pitcher and Bannon who has upside but is years away.

So you'd get 1starter White, one lesser starter/bullpen arm, and one infielder to go with Verdugo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Christian.

I agree with all of your points by the way.  Maybe if the Orioles took Puig to help the Dodgers get further under the cap and threw in a reliever like Bleier (I know, heaven forbid, I love him too), they could get Verdugo plus someone like White. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It’s what the dodgers do. Buy prospects, bring them up along with drafting well

I said pretty much the same thing in an earlier post, but the more I think about it the Dodgers have to be the most desperate team in baseball.  All bets are off with the Dodgers to win after failing to make the WS for 29 years and then losing it in game 7 when they do.  If any team starts to make moves that are out of character it wouldn't surprise me if it were the Dodgers.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2018 at 3:33 AM, OFFNY said:

o

Since division play began in 1969, the Dodgers are in their worst position in terms of games behind the division leader upon the completion of the month of April ........ that covers 50 seasons.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

The boys from southern California are 8 full games behind the DiamondBacks ........ their previous worsts were in 1979 and 1993, when they were 6.5 games behind the Astros (1979) and the Astros and the Giants (1993.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1979-schedule-scores.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1993-schedule-scores.shtml

https://twitter.com/truebluela/status/990803614565203973

o

o

The DiamondBacks beat the Dodgers yet again last night ........ that's 7 out of 8 times that they have beaten them already this season.

And the DiamondBacks are off to a historic start to the season. Aside from the fact that their 21-8 record is their best start in franchise history (1998-Present), they are also the first National League team since the 1907 Cubs to have won their first 9 series of the season. And if they win either of their next 2 games against the Dodgers, they will tie those 1907 Cubs for the all-time National League record for winning series to start a season (10.)

As I stated before, this is not to say that the Dodgers acquiring Manny Machado for the reminder of the 2018 season is necessarily a bad idea. He could play a major role in them getting back on their feet and back into the race for the NL West title ........ but they have already played almost half of their games against the DiamondBacks for the entire season, and they have subsequently dug themselves a pretty deep hole early on.

o

3 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

I said pretty much the same thing in an earlier post, but the more I think about it the Dodgers have to be the most desperate team in baseball.  All bets are off with the Dodgers to win after failing to make the WS for 29 years and then losing it in game 7 when they do.  If any team starts to make moves that are out of character it wouldn't surprise me if it were the Dodgers.

I agree. The Friedman years have not been successful, in a Hollywood sort of way. 

30 minutes ago, weams said:

I agree. The Friedman years have not been successful, in a Hollywood sort of way. 

All the more reason that we could land a solid package for Manny.    The season is lost.  If the Dodgers offer a significant package right now to snap them out of this funk, I would seriously hope the Orioles pull the trigger instead of "waiting" to see if the season is salvageable.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

The DiamondBacks beat the Dodgers yet again last night ........ that's 7 out of 8 times that they have beaten them already this season.

And the DiamondBacks are off to a historic start to the season. Aside from the fact that their 21-8 record is their best start in franchise history (1998-Present), they are also the first National League team since the 1907 Cubs to have won their first 9 series of the season. And if they win either of their next 2 games against the Dodgers, they will tie those 1907 Cubs for the all-time National League record for winning series to start a season (10.)

As I stated before, this is not to say that the Dodgers acquiring Manny Machado for the reminder of the 2018 season is necessarily a bad idea. He could play a major role in them getting back on their feet and back into the race for the NL West title ........ but they have already played almost half of their games against the DiamondBacks for the entire season, and they have subsequently dug themselves a pretty deep hole early on.

o

All the Dodgers need to do is get into the postseason and the early season record against the Dbacks is almost irrelevant. 

Theyd obviously have the slight edge in a home/away series over the Dodgers.

Honestly, Id look at a way to get it done and if I were running the Dodgers so would I.

as far as the Orioles you’d have to think that this would be a deal done by Brady. As DD is likely not around for much longer

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I may be alone on an island here, but I don’t believe Buck would have flipped Manny and Beckham if he didn’t believe it would be the better defensive alignment.    I’d agree that so far, it hasn’t seemed like an improvement.   But in the long run (over the course of the season), it may be.    I expected both players to need some adjustment time, and now Beckham is out for 6+ weeks in any event.

I’ll admit, Manny hadn’t played SS as well as I expected.    People forget he played 40 games at SS two years ago while Hardy was injured, at +0.5 UZR.    He’s made a number of mistakes this year that I don’t remember him making then.

And what does it really matter team wise? At best, they have Manny at SS for this season. By the time they gel, what good will it do. It doesn't even matter now. This team is toast. Who cares if they improve the defense for what half a season of meaningless baseball. 

But hey, he's gaining valuable experience at SS that will help his new team.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

And what does it really matter team wise? At best, they have Manny at SS for this season. By the time they gel, what good will it do. It doesn't even matter now. This team is toast. Who cares if they improve the defense for what half a season of meaningless baseball. 

But hey, he's gaining valuable experience at SS that will help his new team.

Why did we think he was a shortstop?

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

Maybe it is the Diamondbacks who decide to push the petal to the metal and try to completely bury the Dodgers.  Although Nick Ahmed is off to an unusual start offensively at short, he is a lifetime .638 OPS hitter...Machado and Goldschmidt???   Sick.       

4 hours ago, jamalshw said:

If the Dodgers want Manny, they're going to have to pay more than whatever the Diamondbacks are willing to pay.

12 minutes ago, weams said:

I think Manny should be a 3rd....Unless they were doing it to get leverage in an extension I just don't understand the move.

A comparable package to the Dodgers would ge Duplantier, Chisholm (not in the top 100) , Wilson, and Tabor.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Delusion he will extend here if they gave him what he wanted? I'm a firm believer if it isn't broke don't fix it.