Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

As much as I'd hate to do it...THIS is the time to send Manny to the Dodgers!

15 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

we don't want Kemp...we want Buheler...and another infield prospect or a catcher...

Gotta factor in that the Dodgers are trying to avoid the luxury tax.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Gotta factor in that the Dodgers are trying to avoid the luxury tax.  

LA papers are all over Machado and the Dodgers. Doesn't look like its happening though, they will never give up their top prospect..and in the history of the franchise they NEVER have. The 16 million price tag wouldn't put them over the luxury tax if they can move Matt Kemp in a deal..he makes 21 million. I don't look for the Machado to the Dodgers deal to happen...now watch, since i said that...it will probably happen today.

• Upvote 1

What about taking back Logan Forsythe. He's hitting just .174 this year so far and was an 82 OPS+ player last year. He's also making $9M. That is a much more tolerable hit than Kemp who will be on the books in 2019.

Forsythe is on the NL right now anyway. Chris Taylor can play 2B as can Chase Utley, Kike Hernandez and Austin Barnes. Kyle Farmer and others can cover 3B until Turner is back OR Machado could move to 3B with Taylor or someone else at SS until Turner is back.

Essentially, Forsythe is a redundant $9M on the roster that has the ability to play 2B and 3B, but is currently on the DL anyway. Essentially, he's a way to absorb $9M of Machado's $16M, plus, if Forsythe gets back to being close to the player he was in Tampa Bay once healthy, he could be flipped for a low-level prospect, too.

Unlike Kemp, he probably doesn't buy you a better prospect package, but I'm not sure the Dodgers willingly up the ante offered for Kemp.

For me, you almost have to get one of Verdugo or Buehler and I want another young prospect or two.

Would you do: Manny for Forsythe, Verdugo, and someone like Dennis Santana?

Would the Dodgers?

depen

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

What about taking back Logan Forsythe. He's hitting just .174 this year so far and was an 82 OPS+ player last year. He's also making $9M. That is a much more tolerable hit than Kemp who will be on the books in 2019.

Forsythe is on the NL right now anyway. Chris Taylor can play 2B as can Chase Utley, Kike Hernandez and Austin Barnes. Kyle Farmer and others can cover 3B until Turner is back OR Machado could move to 3B with Taylor or someone else at SS until Turner is back.

Essentially, Forsythe is a redundant $9M on the roster that has the ability to play 2B and 3B, but is currently on the DL anyway. Essentially, he's a way to absorb $9M of Machado's $16M, plus, if Forsythe gets back to being close to the player he was in Tampa Bay once healthy, he could be flipped for a low-level prospect, too.

Unlike Kemp, he probably doesn't buy you a better prospect package, but I'm not sure the Dodgers willingly up the ante offered for Kemp.

For me, you almost have to get one of Verdugo or Buehler and I want another young prospect or two.

Would the Dodgers?

I think it depends on their ability to move Kemp off the books...hes also injured right now so it won't be easy....

Never happen. The O's have one all star type player.  And pitiful attendance. Trade Manny and our dismal team is worse. 

The Forsythe piece looks very tempting as an easy offset, but the simple fact of the matter is the Dodgers exercised his $9M option this offseason while giving peanuts to Utley (who just wants to play), and Hernandez is a Roenicke-type.  They traded a lot to get Forsythe too, so the Orioles can't reasonably expect LA to deem him already a sunk cost. 

He is their Plan A at 2B, he's had a year of adjusting (badly) to the NL, and now he's on the shelf with shoulder inflammation and reports it is structurally fine which, as long as its the truth, is a small injury.  

On the other hand Corey Seager had a tight hip Friday night, and that was all, dontchaknow?

4 minutes ago, Natty said:

Never happen. The O's have one all star type player.  And pitiful attendance. Trade Manny and our dismal team is worse. 

I'm sure the marketing department is already brainstorming Life After Manny.  We get Verdugo, put him next to Adam for a new 21-10 Eutaw Street swan song, then find Adam a nice warm spot in July - there's marketing angles all spring/summer/fall.  

Hug Watch hasn't played Baltimore much the last few years, but it looks like we're due for an extended engagement.

51 minutes ago, Natty said:

42 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I'm sure the marketing department is already brainstorming Life After Manny.  We get Verdugo, put him next to Adam for a new 21-10 Eutaw Street swan song, then find Adam a nice warm spot in July - there's marketing angles all spring/summer/fall.  

Hug Watch hasn't played Baltimore much the last few years, but it looks like we're due for an extended engagement.

It's a preview of your 2019 Orioles -- life without Manny -- only also life without any of the top prospects the O's could have trade Manny for but didn't.  

Edited by CheeryO

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Well Manny won't be in Baltimore in 2019 anyway. 

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Would the Dodgers?

Yes, I would do that.

14 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well Manny won't be in Baltimore in 2019 anyway. 

Oh I agree no doubt. Why would Manny want to sign with us, when he can go to a team that usually makes the playoffs, and get more money also?