Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bpilktree67

Hess to start game 1

Recommended Posts

My only concern is his health. 

I don’t think the Orioles age going to judge him too harshly if he struggles. They put him into this spot. 

The fact that they called him up at all tells me Tillman’s spot is his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My only concern is his health. 

I don’t think the Orioles age going to judge him too harshly if he struggles. They put him into this spot. 

The fact that they called him up at all tells me Tillman’s spot is his. 

The O's need to replace two pitchers on their staff - Tillman and Wright.  Both need to be able to pitch 4 or more innings effectively.   There is room for Hess and Melville.   Its just weird to have Hess as a young AAA pitcher being made to pitch on 3 days rest.  Isn't making the jump to the majors hard enough without making it more difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

The O's need to replace two pitchers on their staff - Tillman and Wright.  Both need to be able to pitch 4 or more innings effectively.   There is room for Hess and Melville.   Its just weird to have Hess as a young AAA pitcher being made to pitch on 3 days rest.  Isn't making the jump to the majors hard enough without making it more difficult.

I don’t want Wright around here but I think I know the person that does.  Maybe they are going to try him in some 1 inning higher leverage spots once/if Brach and others are traded.  

I would not mind Melville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t want Wright around here but I think I know the person that does.  Maybe they are going to try him in some 1 inning higher leverage spots once/if Brach and others are traded.  

I would not mind Melville. 

I don't know how Hess or Melville will do but I think they both deserve a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wildcard said:

So they changed his routine to get him his first major league start.   That probably does not help is confidence or his control.  I wish him the best.  I will be rooting for him.

Doesn’t short rest lead to better control?  Just less strength. The adrenaline will be going. He will be fine. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Doesn’t short rest lead to better control?  Just less strength. The adrenaline will be going. He will be fine. 

Or a sore arm if the pitcher in not used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Luke about Hess compared to Melville, but I think the Orioles are stupid not to either DFA Tillman or move Vielma to the 60 day to enable Melville to pitch for this game today. 

Then, they could have used Hess to either start in place of Tillman for his next start or use him in the BP and start Castro. 

That said, for one game it’s not that big of a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel better with the ball in Hess’ hand than Yacabonis. I was at the Monday Tides game, thinking I’d be escaping from the doldrums of the O’s and he loaded the bases in the first and gave up a grand slam before I had barely made a dent in my first beer. Was a familiar first inning scenario as the week rolled on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't know how Hess or Melville will do but I think they both deserve a chance.

Yes they do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Or a sore arm if the pitcher in not used to it.

Is "used to it" the same as built-up arm strength and endurance?

Because all the pitchers I talked with or read about always suggested that throwing hard, throwing sliders, and throwing split-finger pitches is what hurts. And going in cold without stretching and throwing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rough start. Bummer. The first two hits were seeing-eye singles too. Frustrating. Let's hope he settles in. Big Hess fan, let's see if we see improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...