foxfield

Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

The Orioles have now begun spring training 2018.  It has been a very interesting off season and it has no doubt been affected by wealthy teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Redsox spending very little or reducing spending.  It has also been affected by teams doing practically nothing which of course includes the Orioles.

On December 22, I started this topic and wondered then, when it seemed late, what was the Oriole plan.  We have heard we are competing, we are looking to acquire pitching by trades, to we need pitching but who knows where we will find em.

I am sure there is a plan...these are most definitely not stupid people...but to think something is not amiss takes a tremendous leap into fanaticism.  

I am sure there is a plan, even if it is difficult to see by fellow baseball execs, writers, players, fans....

I am sure there is a plan...right?

It can't be the owner has tied up all possible resources for players.  Or that DD is playing out the string, or the Brady has undermined everything...or that Buck is just waiting to be named GOD (General Operating Despot), or that no one is willing to sign, or that we just have to wait until next year when we will have new leadership....

I am sure there is a plan...right?  Right?

Occam's Razor, is a principle that suggests that when presented with multiple hypothetical possibilities, the one that requires the fewest assumptions, should be the one selected.

As I said in my OP on Dec 22, it seems that the decks are being cleared for a sale.  I have not seen anything makes more sense.  

51 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The Orioles have now begun spring training 2018.  It has been a very interesting off season and it has no doubt been affected by wealthy teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Redsox spending very little or reducing spending.  It has also been affected by teams doing practically nothing which of course includes the Orioles.

On December 22, I started this topic and wondered then, when it seemed late, what was the Oriole plan.  We have heard we are competing, we are looking to acquire pitching by trades, to we need pitching but who knows where we will find em.

I am sure there is a plan...these are most definitely not stupid people...but to think something is not amiss takes a tremendous leap into fanaticism.  

I am sure there is a plan, even if it is difficult to see by fellow baseball execs, writers, players, fans....

I am sure there is a plan...right?

It can't be the owner has tied up all possible resources for players.  Or that DD is playing out the string, or the Brady has undermined everything...or that Buck is just waiting to be named GOD (General Operating Despot), or that no one is willing to sign, or that we just have to wait until next year when we will have new leadership....

I am sure there is a plan...right?  Right?

Occam's Razor, is a principle that suggests that when presented with multiple hypothetical possibilities, the one that requires the fewest assumptions, should be the one selected.

As I said in my OP on Dec 22, it seems that the decks are being cleared for a sale.  I have not seen anything makes more sense.  

I am certain no one is telling us the plan.

35 minutes ago, weams said:

I am certain no one is telling us the plan.

Oh, I am certain of this as well.  I have no expectation that my phone will ring so that I can be brought into the inner circle.  But to quote a guy I know who once wrote a piece about this organization....

Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

Pretty much everyone here agrees that they need to 1) go all in for pitching in a last ditch effort to realistically win it all, 2) retool on the fly by dealing Machado for ML-ready players and backfill him with a FA, or 3) Go total rebuild and sell off every veteran you can that has value (yes, they're stuck with Davis and possible Trumbo).  Since September, pretty much everyone on here has supported one of those three options.  As the OP states, pretty much EVERYONE on here has agreed that sitting in the middle and plugging the rotation with mediocre pitchers is a recipe for last place, and a disaster as you then lose Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc., for virtually nothing.  Yet that's just what the Orioles appear to be doing.

If everyone here can see it, if everyone in the media can see it, if everyone in the other MLB front offices can see it, why in the world can the Orioles not see the folly in their ways?  SMGDH.

There is a perfectly good Tillman thread :) 

I think releasing him would be dumb. Find him a phantom injury. That's how we role....

I would have still given him the same contract. A $3 Million option is nothing for a SP.  You might be right (seems like it), but still worthwhile to keep him in the org to see if he figures it out IMO. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I consider myself to be as patient as any member of this board.   Today was the last straw.    Release  Tillman.  

No way Buck does that to one of his guys. Renee has it, phantom injury, extended rehab.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

There is a perfectly good Tillman thread :) 

I think releasing him would be dumb. Find him a phantom injury. That's how we role....

I would have still given him the same contract. A $3 Million option is nothing for a SP.  You might be right (seems like it), but still worthwhile to keep him in the org to see if he figures it out IMO. 

Why pay a guy peanuts if no one else is willing to give him peanut husks?

It is still wasting 3M.

I changed the channel at 4-1.  I rarely do that and usually not just because of being behind buts it’s tough watching someone you respect and appreciate what he has done in the past fail so badly.    Couldn’t watch anymore. 

Agree with Frobby    It’s time   

• Upvote 2

Maybe DL,  Tillman needs to miss a start to see if his stuff maybe comes back if they wont DL him. Pretty terrible that they're putting him out there right now.