Roy Firestone

Cubs rumored to have deal (offer) for Manny

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Its a very strong rumor and one source comes from someone in the know.

If this is true, you have scooped the media because there is nothing out there on this.

• Upvote 1

Strange that they'd part with Baez for a rental but even in his "big" year his OBP sits at .299 so maybe this rumor has legs. Montgomery with only 13ks in 23 innings this year.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

If this is true, you have scooped the media because there is nothing out there on this.

I didn't say it was true..I did say it is a rumor but a strong one from a very knowledgable insider.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Ummm....Roy is in the media.....right?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the thread title, as it implies a deal is done and imminent, which I am skeptical of.  I think it more likely (somewhat) that the Cubs are offering that deal and the Orioles may be considering it.

Just now, esmd said:

Ummm....Roy is in the media.....right?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the thread title, as it implies a deal is done and imminent, which I am skeptical of.  I think it more likely (somewhat) that the Cubs are offering that deal and the Orioles may be considering it.

Nothing about the thread title is misleading or untrue. There IS a rumor of this by the Cubs and the source is a name familiar to all of you...but its NOT Palmer.

• Upvote 1

I'm not questioning your integrity Roy, just the legitimacy of the rumor.  I just don't believe that a deal has been agreed upon, as your thread title/the rumor suggests.

16 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

If its true that the Cubs would offer Baez and Mike Montgomery plus another pitching prospect for Manny, I would take that deal. Baez is a a solid second baseman, and you could move Schoop to SS or 3b if they do acquire Baez. (Maybe acquire Moustakas down the road too)I like Montgomery too and I know him well. He came to my house for a baseball seminar and was the only player of the 16 prospects at my house who wrote a hand written thank you note for allowing my house to be used for a meeting.I have NO interest in Addison Russell who looks like a troubled kid with a suspicion of domestic violence. But then, thats never stopped us before...remember Frankie Rodriguez.

Yuck.  I want no part of Baez.  Just more of the same - power with no OBP.  Try to get Happ instead...

Would much rather go the Cards route and try for one of Flaherty/Reyes/Weaver + Tyler O'Neill + Gyorko. Probably already missed any chance for Flaherty - if it even existed. O'Neill is up and mashing.

Yeah, Baez is another OBP slug. Montgomery also has settled in as a pretty generic looking reliever. Would need Happ.

5 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'm not questioning your integrity Roy, just the legitimacy of the rumor.  I just don't believe that a deal has been agreed upon, as your thread title/the rumor suggests.

I don't take it as an affront to my "integrity" either..but nothing about the title is inaccurate. Its a strong RUMOR but it never says the deal is done or imminent. I will say the person who told me that might have inside information.