Roy Firestone

Cubs rumored to have deal (offer) for Manny

38 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Hello all... it's been awhile ( a long while). 

Regarding Manny to the Cubs, or any other team for that matter: It seems that every day that passes that we have not traded him is another day we potentially lose the opportunity to acquire a solid package in return. While I get the thought that holding Manny until closer to the break may find teams more desperate (and thus more willing to add to their package), there are risks with that approach. 

• Manny could get hurt. Unlikely, but possible.
  • Other teams may decide to make their own 3B available, perhaps shrinking our options.
  • We get hot, giving the illusion of a long shot at a wild card. Again, unlikely, but possible.

Now there is absolutely no way to know what offers, if any, are currently on the table. So, while posters/fans like me are clamoring for a deal, we have no choice but to wait and hope for the best... as always.  I for one, am not expecting any trade of Machado to be one that puts a smile on my face, but that's mainly because this ownership/management team has proven time and time again that the cannot be trusted to do things the right way. I have zero faith in them... but still, I can't help but hold out hope that it'll turn out alright.

Welcome back!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The Wild Card Game is most definitely a playoff game.

Meh. My point is, it shouldn't be the "goal."

This team was obviously not constructed to win the division or even sniff the first wild card. 

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Meh. My point is, it shouldn't be the "goal."

This team was obviously not constructed to win the division or even sniff the first wild card. 

The wheels have fallen off this team early, but towards the end of Spring Training when we signed Cashner and Cobb I thought we could at least be competitive.  Boy was I mistaken.

Well when comes to doing to right thing with the O's front office and player moves / trades they seem to be a GOOD HOLD MY BEER Club of topping the latest in disaster moves / trades. 😀

That's why i fully expect them to do the Mussina thing and watch Machado walk for a pick.

4 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

The wheels have fallen off this team early, but towards the end of Spring Training when we signed Cashner and Cobb I thought we could at least be competitive.  Boy was I mistaken.

I wasn't so much evaluating the Orioles so much as evaluating them vs. the rest of the division. That said, I was never all that impressed with this year's roster. I said this past winter until I was blue in the face that they were MAYBE the 4th best team in the division.

The year prior, I said maybe they were the 3rd best team in the division going into 2017 after they lost the "playoff" game. It was clear at that point that Boston was the team to beat and the Orioles at best were on even ground with the rest of the division. It's not like they were clearly better than the MFY, or the Blue Jays... or even Tampa. The Yankees had gotten younger and had Didi and Gary Sanchez coming off good years. Also Castro and Judge were on that team. They had a better pitching staff than the Orioles -  the O's had three fairly large rotation question marks really. They had Tillman and Gausman coming off decent years and then Miley, Ubaldo Jimenez and Bundy, who nobody really knew what to expect from. 

Prime time to rebuild and still be comparatively competitive was post-2016. Unless you want to argue that Britton would have failed his physical, which is a legitimate argument I presume.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Welcome back!

Greg, I enjoyed your minor league / BA posts back in the day.

I remember you wrote a book, how did it go?

• Upvote 1

I don't know where the original rumor came from, but this was nothing but a fabricated story.  Baez is nearly untouchable, let alone, throwing in Montgomery.  As an O's fan we would be lucky to get three years of Russell for a few months of Machado.  If nothing else we can flip Russell for prospects after the season.  

Edited by shoeboxer

On 5/22/2018 at 5:49 PM, Can_of_corn said:

It might improve but it doesn't make sense for it to.  You trade for Manny now instead of the end of July you get two more months of Manny.  At the rate he is going that's a couple more wins worth of production.

It's counterintuitive, you are correct. Market forces and human psychology may help explain why he may return more value in July despite the fact that acquiring him now could help his new team win more games in the meantime.

I'd trade him now if I loved the package. But I am not so scared of possible injury to him that I would jump at the first offer, especially if it did not impress me. The suggested Cubs offer won't be the last shot to trade him. There is still time to accept other offers that don't impress. 😉

MLBTR

Although the Orioles didn’t find a Manny Machado trade to their liking over the winter, the club did believe it was progressing toward a deal with the Cardinals in December, Buster Olney of ESPNreports. St. Louis backed out of negotiations on a swap that would have sent pitching prospects and third baseman Jedd Gyorko to Baltimore, per Olney. The identities of the prospects aren’t known, though Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reported in mid-December that the Orioles had interest in young Cardinals hurlers Luke WeaverJack Flahertyand Jordan Hicks

16 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

It's counterintuitive, you are correct. Market forces and human psychology may help explain why he may return more value in July despite the fact that acquiring him now could help his new team win more games in the meantime.

I'd trade him now if I loved the package. But I am not so scared of possible injury to him that I would jump at the first offer, especially if it did not impress me. The suggested Cubs offer won't be the last shot to trade him. There is still time to accept other offers that don't impress. 😉

Unless he tears an Achilles tomorrow...at which point we look like morons. 

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Unless he tears an Achilles tomorrow...at which point we look like morons. 

Most people around the country look at the Orioles as a joke of a team already. My prediction? We hold on to Machado due to greed and get nothing but a draft pick.

If the Orioles actually do decide to trade Machado, it will likely be right up against the deadline. As a matter of fact, knowing this organization, it wouldn’t surprise me if it is 5 minutes too late.

32 minutes ago, weams said:

MLBTR

Although the Orioles didn’t find a Manny Machado trade to their liking over the winter, the club did believe it was progressing toward a deal with the Cardinals in December, Buster Olney of ESPNreports. St. Louis backed out of negotiations on a swap that would have sent pitching prospects and third baseman Jedd Gyorko to Baltimore, per Olney. The identities of the prospects aren’t known, though Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reported in mid-December that the Orioles had interest in young Cardinals hurlers Luke WeaverJack Flahertyand Jordan Hicks

This report is so stupid. The reporter stated, in regards to the three pitching prospects mentioned that "it’s hard to imagine the Cardinals parting with any of those three now," which is ridiculous. Weaver has struggled and Hicks, despite throwing hard, only has 11 strikeouts in 24.2 IP. If anything I think the emergence of Flaherty and Reyes might make them more willing to trade Weaver. Also, why on earth would the Orioles waste trade piece on Gyorko? They should worry more about just getting young talent and less about replacing Machado at SS this season. 

• Upvote 1