Roy Firestone

Cubs rumored to have deal (offer) for Manny

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I know he won't reveal it, but I am very curious as to who Roy's source is on this.

My guess is Steve Stone.  My guess is he and Roy might know each other from Roy being around the team as a batboy, though I'm not sure their paths crossed.  Stone used to broadcast for the Cubs and I'm sure he has contacts there still.  AND, he now calls games for the White Sox, who coincidentally, the Orioles are playing right now in Chicago.

Just a guess on my part, and I could be way off, but it kind of makes sense, at least to me.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

As a Cub fan I can tell you this, Maddon absolutely loves Baez. The city of Chicago loves Baez. For whatever reason Baez is more beloved in Chicago than Rizzo or Bryant, especially by the South American fans. Theo absolutely loves Baez too and constantly talks about how the Cubs have the best up the middle defense in the game from Contreras/Russell/Baez/Almora. Baez is more than a slugger, he brings all kinds of intangibles. His tagging, yes tagging, skill is unmatched. Go watch a video on YouTube, there are lots of them. He's incredibly aggressive yet smart while running the bases. He's an incredibly smart defender who can electrify a team on any given play. I promise you this, if the Cubs move Baez it's because they're exceedingly confident they can resign Machado.

I'm a Cubs season ticket holder and disagree with this pretty strongly. I agree that Maddon loves Baez but to say that Cubs fans love him more than Rizzo and Bryant is insane. Baez is absolutely an electrifying player, but he is also prone to some Chris-Davis like slumps where he can't do anything. I think a good comp for Baez from an offensive perspective is Adam Jones. When he's hot, he will hit everything and when he's not, hell pull everything and strike out a lot. 

If this is the rumored deal, I am passing. I would much prefer Happ and candidly think you can get Almora. The Yankees got Torres for half a year of Chapman. Take the risk, wait until the break and solicit more offers.  

8 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

People used to say that Alex Rodriguez was one of Manny's mentors. Manny needs to ask Rodriguez about men's fashion.

o

Alex Rodriguez used to give free advertising for Hamburger Helper.

Image result for Alex Rodriguez White Glove Slap

o

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

But is upgrading from Baez to Manny a world series win kind of upgrade? This isn't replacing your fifth starter with Randy Johnson. 

Maybe not a 5, but a 4, I'd say, at least.

Baez had a moderately hot start (and is cooling), and is a nice piece of a team's puzzle.

Machado is a bonafide cornerstone. Straight up, there's no comparison.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

Maybe not a 5, but a 4, I'd say, at least.

Baez had a moderately hot start (and is cooling), and is a nice piece of a team's puzzle.

Machado is a bonafide cornerstone. Straight up, there's no comparison.

Plus, I get the feeling that they think they can sign Machado long-term.   He'd be a good fit in Chicago.

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

If its true that the Cubs would offer Baez and Mike Montgomery plus another pitching prospect for Manny, I would take that deal. Baez is a a solid second baseman, and you could move Schoop to SS or 3b if they do acquire Baez. (Maybe acquire Moustakas down the road too)I like Montgomery too and I know him well. He came to my house for a baseball seminar and was the only player of the 16 prospects at my house who wrote a hand written thank you note for allowing my house to be used for a meeting.I have NO interest in Addison Russell who looks like a troubled kid with a suspicion of domestic violence. But then, thats never stopped us before...remember Frankie Rodriguez.

I'd take it too. But I bet Angelos won't. 

3 minutes ago, Runs2the1Show said:

I'm a Cubs season ticket holder and disagree with this pretty strongly. I agree that Maddon loves Baez but to say that Cubs fans love him more than Rizzo and Bryant is insane. Baez is absolutely an electrifying player, but he is also prone to some Chris-Davis like slumps where he can't do anything. I think a good comp for Baez from an offensive perspective is Adam Jones. When he's hot, he will hit everything and when he's not, hell pull everything and strike out a lot. 

If this is the rumored deal, I am passing. I would much prefer Happ and candidly think you can get Almora. The Yankees got Torres for half a year of Chapman. Take the risk, wait until the break and solicit more offers.  

Theo already admitted he went into that deal knowing he was overpaying because of the team's situation/circumstances, Don't expect anything like that again.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Plus, I get the feeling that they think they can sign Machado long-term.   He'd be a good fit in Chicago.

Great fit, plus they have Almora under control for a while.  Plus playing in Chicago is great and Manny will probably love fitting right in with their young core.

Question is, can the Orioles get enough back?  I know it's crazy but I'd ask for Baez, Montgomery, Alzolay, and Happ for Machado and Brach.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

For sure. And people need to step back and remember that Baez and Machado are the same age, too, as crazy as it sounds given how long Manny has been a contributing member of the O's.

That the Cubs might be able/willing to re-sign Manny should be icing on the cake for the O's, as it could keep him out of the AL East.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Great fit, plus they have Almora under control for a while.  Plus playing in Chicago is great and Manny will probably love fitting right in with their young core.

Question is, can the Orioles get enough back?  I know it's crazy but I'd ask for Baez, Montgomery, Alzolay, and Happ for Machado and Brach.

Getting Baez at all would be a steal, getting Happ too? Then getting 2 more pieces one of them MLB level. That's just incredibly unrealistic. We're talking about 3 months of a player.

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Getting Baez at all would be a steal, getting Happ too? Then getting 2 more pieces one of them MLB level. That's just incredibly unrealistic. We're talking about 3 months of a player.

I agree it would be a steal.  But if they think they can sign him long term, it makes more sense.

I'd be good with Baez, but I need more than Mike Montgomery.  I'd do it for Baez and Azolay though.

5 minutes ago, DRJacobs said:

Not if the Orioles get off there inept arses and pull the trigger now. It is 4 months plus.

I think to get Happ, they'd have to throw in Givens as well.   If you could pull that off, you'd have an in-place keystone for the next few years.  If Schoop would consider moving to third and can be signed long-term, you suddenly have the makings of a pretty decent infield.

23 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

People used to say that Alex Rodriguez was one of Manny's mentors. Manny needs to ask Alex Rodriguez about men's fashion.

19 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Alex Rodriguez used to give free advertising for Hamburger Helper.

Image result for Alex Rodriguez white glove slap

o

o

Reverse angle.

Image result for Alex Rodriguez hamburger helper

o

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dabirds said:

Yuck.  I want no part of Baez.  Just more of the same - power with no OBP.  Try to get Happ instead...

I'd take Baez in a heart beat.