Roy Firestone

Cubs rumored to have deal (offer) for Manny

24 minutes ago, esmd said:

My guess is Steve Stone.  My guess is he and Roy might know each other from Roy being around the team as a batboy, though I'm not sure their paths crossed.  Stone used to broadcast for the Cubs and I'm sure he has contacts there still.  AND, he now calls games for the White Sox, who coincidentally, the Orioles are playing right now in Chicago.

Just a guess on my part, and I could be way off, but it kind of makes sense, at least to me.

Roy was a batboy in the 60s.

Steve Stone came to the Orioles in 1979.

So basically Baez is a younger better defensive version of Schoop , under control for 4 years but we don't want him?

I like Baez a lot.   If the pitching prospect is good, I think that would be a pretty solid deal.

Could we do better?   I don't know.   How desperate are SL, LA, and Arizona?

28 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Theo already admitted he went into that deal knowing he was overpaying because of the team's situation/circumstances, Don't expect anything like that again.

...but why would situation / circumstances not ever dictate a team's willingness to overpay again? Machado is having an MVP year - there is no reason to settle on a deal unless you have to. We don't "have to" until the deadline.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Runs2the1Show said:

...but why would situation / circumstances not ever dictate a team's willingness to overpay again? Machado is having an MVP year - there is no reason to settle on a deal unless you have to. We don't "have to" until the deadline.

They don't "have to" at all.  Just look how well not trading Britton worked out.

11 minutes ago, Runs2the1Show said:

Well for one, they don't have 108 years since their last WS anymore. They also don't have 1 glaring need as the Cub position players have already put up the 2nd highest fWAR in baseball so adding Machado isn't near as important as upgrading from Rondon to Chapman was.

27 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

they'd have to throw in Givens as well.   If you could pull that off, you'd have an in-place keystone for the next few years.  If Schoop would consider moving to third and can be signed long-term, you suddenly have the makings of a pretty decent infield.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They don't "have to" at all.  Just look how well not trading Britton worked out.

or Davis, or O'day, or Jim Johnson, or anyone at their peak before their value plummeted and the Orioles extended them to a disastrous contract, or got nothing back in a minor trade

Failing to trade Machado by waiting for that "perfect" "wow" offer could be a colossal mistake, especially if he gets hurt.  Orioles are playing a risky game by waiting unless the offers have been truly bad.

42 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Theo already admitted he went into that deal knowing he was overpaying because of the team's situation/circumstances, Don't expect anything like that again.

Now that the curse is over, the Cubs aren't interested in winning another World Series is what you are saying. You must be an insider.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Failing to trade Machado by waiting for that "perfect" "wow" offer could be a colossal mistake, especially if he gets hurt.  Orioles are playing a risky game by waiting unless the offers have been truly bad.

I agree. I don't trust Angelos to do what's best. 

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

As a Cub fan I can tell you this, Maddon absolutely loves Baez. The city of Chicago loves Baez. For whatever reason Baez is more beloved in Chicago than Rizzo or Bryant, especially by the South American fans.

Baez is not from South America. Why do "South American fans" love him so much?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Could be. Not highly likely he'll get injured. I might think differently if we were talking about a pitcher.

I'd have to be wowed to trade today. As the season progresses, the stakes will get higher for teams. Machado's value is not going to decrease between now and July 31, despite suggestions to the contrary. If the Orioles are patient, I believe the value of the package will improve.

24 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Now that the curse is over, the Cubs aren't interested in winning another World Series is what you are saying. You must be an insider.

No, I'm summarizing what Theo just said in an article last week.