Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

And now the Yankees are interested in Britton

Id call all the interested teams and tell them I'm packaging the two together and give them until midnight to modify their offer accordingly. I'd tell the Os are looking to turn the page towards the future and a decision is going to be made. Id tell them I'm expecting 5 players all residing in the teams top 30 and 2 of them being top 10 types with one centerpiece.

Id make the offer to the Yankees, Boston, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Atlanta, and the Dodgers.

You realize Boston's minor league system is a joke, right?  Cleveland is on the fringes of the MM sweepstakes - so they will bow out.  Atlanta has not been a major player for MM and Philly is also hanging on the periphery of MM.  Milwaukee hasn't expressed a huge interest in ZB as far as I know.  It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think one would have to look at the offers for MM and ZB separately to understand if they should be packaged together.  

Oscar
1:34
Jumping on the Machado trade train. If you're the Dodgers, what would be your final "take it or leave it" offer for Machado?

Keith Law
1:34
I'd put Verdugo and Smith in an offer; I get the sense they're not as high on Verdugo as his performance would imply, and Smith is behind Ruiz. If the O's can do better than that, more power to them.

So what do you think about Verdugo, Smith, Ferguson, and Bannon?

45 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

This is amazing. 

If you aren't trolling then I just don't know what to say anymore.

You said it.  Anyone preferring about the 35th pick in next year's draft to the 37th overall prospect in baseball is trolling.  It has been at least five years since I exchanged posts with someone like this.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

More than the Yankee prospect who has 36 percent strike out Rate in A ball who might be older than his claimed age. 

If Florial was only striking out something like 20% of the time with his upside, he'd be a top 10 prospect in the game and completely untouchable in a Machdo trade. He'd essentially be Victor Robles 2.0. Your expectations are completely unrealistic. 

40 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

You realize Boston's minor league system is a joke, right?  Cleveland is on the fringes of the MM sweepstakes - so they will bow out.  Atlanta has not been a major player for MM and Philly is also hanging on the periphery of MM.  Milwaukee hasn't expressed a huge interest in ZB as far as I know.  It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think one would have to look at the offers for MM and ZB separately to understand if they should be packaged together.  

Guess I forgot the Phillies!

Honestly, If I could get Verdugo, May, Lux, Ferguson/Gonsolin, and Bannon Id help the Dodgers win the WS and stay under the Luxury threshold with some cash.

3 hours ago, Hotdiggity said:

The Dodgers live on players being used interchangeably.  So I tend to agree with you that Manny demanding to be a SS with Seager coming back next year is tough.  That said, Bellinger is a ++defender at 1st and an average to average+ CF.  Muncy has been playing a lot of 2nd.  So I could see Turner shifting to 1st and Seager sliding to 3rd.

There is a reason the Dodgers have been adamant about not going over the LTT.  It's so they can reset, re-sign Kershaw (which should be cheaper now) and go after one of Machado/Harper in FA without paying a penalty next year.  Now, when you look at the Dodger middle of the order, you have Bellinger, Seager, Muncy, and Pederson.  All bat LH. So to add Harper to that may not fit as well as Machado.  Hence why I can see a potential Paul George looksie if the price is right.

I hear you, but  I don't see them shifting them three players from their best positions to accommodate Manny. 

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Oh, fair enough.  I was just going along with the Hardy comp, didn't look at Grenier's stats.

Though Hardy certainly never was big on walks, his OBP was definitely better with the Brewers than it ever was with the Orioles.

Still, a Hardy-esque career out of a lottery ticket isn't a bad thing, at all. His prime years he was a 3.5-4 WAR player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

Where was Pujols projected? 

Pujols is a fun story. The Rays had an area scout (basically the lowest guys on the scouting totem pole) who was pushing hard for Pujols the year he was drafted (went 13th round), and told the team that if they didn't take him, he'd quit.

They didn't, the Cardinals did, and the guy quit. The rest... we know about.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=6189583

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Pujols is a fun story. The Rays had an area scout (basically the lowest guys on the scouting totem pole) who was pushing hard for Pujols the year he was drafted (went 13th round), and told the team that if they didn't take him, he'd quit.

They didn't, the Cardinals did, and the guy quit. The rest... we know about.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=6189583

I don't know what happened to the scout.

What happened to the scout?

Did he get another job?

Sorry if it's already been discussed and I missed it, earlier today on SiriusXM Jim Bowden stated that the offers on the table from the Yankees and Dodgers both involved Britton. He also said the Yankees, Dodgers, and Brewers have the best offers, the Brewers offer if only for Manny though.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know what happened to the scout.

What happened to the scout?

Did he get another job?

Oh, my bad. He did. Couple of years working at an unnamed "sports agency," before he went back to scouting. The remainder of his career is detailed with Luke's link.

Eventually made it to the Cardinals, but not until after Albert himself had left for the Angels.

1 minute ago, Brian88 said:

Sorry if it's already been discussed and I missed it, earlier today on SiriusXM Jim Bowden stated that the offers on the table from the Yankees and Dodgers both involved Britton. He also said the Yankees, Dodgers, and Brewers have the best offers, the Brewers offer if only for Manny though.

Do you mean Britton + Manny in the LAD and NYY deals?

4 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

Did I miss that? The Yankees offered Andujar and Frazier? And we didn't LEAP on that? I take back everything I said about seeing Manny in pinstripes. If we get Andujar and Frazier back for a couple months of Manny... that would be a significant overpay by the Yankees, IMO. If that's on offer and we don't take it, we better get something INSANE from whoever we trade with down the road. (However, I'm on record as saying I don't think we'll trade Manny.) 

Sorry...I said “hypothetically”.  My point was even if it’s not pitching prospects (which is what we’d prefer), if another team offers 2 really good hitting prospects, we shouldn’t turn it down simply because it’s not pitching.