Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Urias would be a nice centerpiece on pure talent, but that plunges you immediately into Schoop drama as I believe he is 2B only.

What drama? Trade him.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

What drama? Trade him.

The drama of he's the franchise player of the re-tooled 2019 Orioles.  Until we see the Machado trade return and whether there are more trades of players who could be good in 2019, the possibility can't be dismissed leadership looks at this year as the exception and not the rule.  Gausman's fastball is back, Cobb will have a spring - we have a rotation, lots of younger legs, know now not to let Davis play, Adam Jones will only be $9M not $17M and in a corner, etc.

This is also a bad moment for Schoop, and Gennett would be a formidable rival in the 2B trade market even if we were sure the club's intent is to go beyond the expiring contracts.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I must be confused. Schoop is now a franchise player? Or, will be after Machado is gone? 

Yeah, not buying it.

How about after he demands to play short next year?  Will you be feeling it?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would show initiative! But no, I won’t.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Same exact situation as this year! But who saw it coming?!

Some news/analysis:

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/orioles/heyman-breaking-down-the-manny-machado-sweepstakes/

And from Buster Olney 4 hours ago on Twitter:

There is an expectation among other teams that the Diamondbacks will be among the most aggressive in the trade market, because 2018 presents perhaps their best opportunity for foreseeable future to win the NL West. They could be the Machado frontrunners.

Just now, joelala said:

Hope this guy is right and I'm wrong, but these returns all seem unrealistically high to me.

Agreed.  Pavin Smith would be a big pick up, but of course the Orioles have Davis locked in at first for the next five years.  Devers plus would be great of course, but also seems unrealistic.  The Cubs package seemed reasonable though, as did the Indians.

On 6/21/2018 at 5:07 PM, Can_of_corn said:

If he doesn't start hitting he can play Short in the minors next year.  He has a .601 OPS.  If he continues at his current pace I don't offer arbitration and he can go on his way to be a utility infielder for some team

12 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Agreed.  Pavin Smith would be a big pick up, but of course the Orioles have Davis locked in at first for the next five years.  Devers plus would be great of course, but also seems unrealistic.  The Cubs package seemed reasonable though, as did the Indians.

The Cubs package seems very light to me.

22 minutes ago, Mountain Bird said:

The Cubs package seems very light to me.

I agree. Maybe I'm in the minority, but Russell doesn't seem good enough to be the main piece of a trade with the Cubs. I'd ask for him AND Happ, even if that meant including a bullpen arm like Brach.