Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but whether Hiura “figures to be a stud” remains to be seen.   Going back to the Sabathia trade, look at LaPorta.    There’s always risk that a prospect won’t do well at the major league level.   

For sure, but you can do this with literally any prospect. He's damn good.

21 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

The Brewers are a very young, talented team with a deep farm system. They don't need to buy Manny, nor are small market teams usually willing to deal their best prospect that is on the fast track along with others for a 2-3 month rental.

This is true, but the Cardinals are not as strong this year and the Cubs have not been dominant.  I would think Brewers fans would understand if they missed the playoffs because Hiura was not traded, but they may not be as understanding if the front office wouldn't not part with multiple B prospects.

FWIW, and I posted it here at OH, an ESPN analyst ran a simulation trading MM to every team in baseball.  The Phillies and Braves were both among the top five teams impacted while the Brewers were 10th.  The Phillies and Braves are both in early stages of rebuilds and neither seems ready to make a sizable withdrawal from their prospect bank.  The Brewers see the big bat and the poor performance of Arcia and are obviously very interested.  I think the NYY realize they would prefer to avoid the wild card game or, worst case, have a lineup that includes MM for that game.  

I think this needs to be concluded soon.  The Os provide to each team what it may take to close the deal while teams reply with their best and final offers.  

Moving backwards here, but I could have sworn I read on here that it was revealed not long ago that over the winter that Duquette came to Angelos with a deal he liked for Manny but it was rejected. Am I dreaming this? And if not, can someone provide a link? I was having a conversation with someone and I was looking for the backup. And it was a similar “no” for last summer’s Britton trade proposal (medical issues nixed by Angelos), correct? 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but whether Hiura “figures to be a stud” remains to be seen.   Going back to the Sabathia trade, look at LaPorta.    There’s always risk that a prospect won’t do well at the major league level.   

http://ssmbl.baseball.cbssports.com/news/1fd557a3-f98c-4b4e-a114-85f71fe4747f

Not the best rating source, but CBS Sports just rated Hiura 17th overall best prospect.  The "also considered" section includes NYY Justus Sheffield, but no Florial.  Our own Luke-OH has hinted that Hiura is the next most exciting minor league bat after Vlad Jr though I imagine Eloy Jimenez and Tatis Jr have to be in that discussion.   I believe Hiura figures to be pretty average defensively.

As you say, there is always risk.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23998521/mlb-charge-rebuilding-baltimore-orioles-trade-deadline

I am sure this has been posted, and my apologies.

But, I hadnt seen it here, and Its a pretty good read, even if put out by ESPN.

• Barring a surprise or a change of heart, Showalter and Duquette appear safe for the rest of the season. John and Louis Angelos value the contributions the two men have made to the franchise, and they're determined not to act impulsively to satisfy the talk-radio masses. Things are ugly now, but sports fans in Baltimore will turn their attention to the Ravens soon enough. Anger will turn to apathy, if it hasn't already, and the brothers can take stock at the end of the season and chart a course amid calmer circumstances.

Just now, hoosiers said:

http://ssmbl.baseball.cbssports.com/news/1fd557a3-f98c-4b4e-a114-85f71fe4747f

Not the best rating source, but CBS Sports just rated Hiura 17th overall best prospect.  The "also considered" section includes NYY Justus Sheffield, but no Florial.  Our own Luke-OH has hinted that Hiura is the next most exciting minor league bat after Vlad Jr though I imagine Eloy Jimenez and Tatis Jr have to be in that discussion.   I believe Hiura figures to be pretty average defensively.

As you say, there is always risk.

Hiura is going to hit, no doubt in my mind. He doesn't have a ton of pop though,  you're looking at 20-25HRs in his best years unless he goes all Ozzie Albies on us. One thing that makes Hiura so enticing as that he has an extremely high floor. He doesn't have mega allstar ceiling. You're probably looking at .300/.360/.525 in his best seasons, He's also basically MLB ready which is why he ranks so high. You could plug him in tomorrow and he'd have some measure of success.

4 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Hiura is going to hit, no doubt in my mind. He doesn't have a ton of pop though,  you're looking at 20-25HRs in his best years unless he goes all Ozzie Albies on us. One thing that makes Hiura so enticing as that he has an extremely high floor. He doesn't have mega allstar ceiling. You're probably looking at .300/.360/.525 in his best seasons, He's also basically MLB ready which is why he ranks so high. You could plug him in tomorrow and he'd have some measure of success.

I drafted Hiura in my NL dynasty league and am very familiar with him.  IMO, the only way Hiura is dealt is if the Brewers owner becomes involved and says to go get Manny whatever the cost.  I doubt that happens.

1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

I drafted Hiura in my NL dynasty league and am very familiar with him.  IMO, the only way Hiura is dealt is if the Brewers owner becomes involved and says to go get Manny whatever the cost.  I doubt that happens.

Manny needs a large market team in order to sustain his salary demands.

52 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

The Brewers are a very young, talented team with a deep farm system. They don't need to buy Manny, nor are small market teams usually willing to deal their best prospect that is on the fast track along with others for a 2-3 month rental.

I disagree. They traded for Yelich and signed Cain in the pre-season when they already had viable options in the OF. Those are "all in" types of moves. 

50 minutes ago, davearm said:

OK let's play this out then.

You've told David Stearns that it's Hiura or no deal.  He takes you at your word and stops calling, since he isn't moving Hiura for a rental.  He's moved on to other options.

Yankees/Cashman, same re: Sheffield.  He's now focused on SP.

Dodgers/Friedman, same re: Verdugo (or someone else you said was a must-have).

What's left are much weaker offers from ARI, CHC, CLE, PHI.

Now what do you do?

Dave .....I don't make the Brewers deal but continue to listen. I think Verdugo is available ..... no source I just think he can be had. I've listec a package or two based off a Manny and Britton package to LA with movable parts coming back.

I believe Manny will bring back 2 main pieces and two lesser players from listening and reading from media outlets. Callis said we should get one very good prospect and 1 other for Britton. LA wants Manny and needs Brittion. They may even want Brach or Givens.

If the Orioles did that and are the salaries they could get Verdugo, May/White, Lux and a couple other imo.

Manny is not your typical rental and pretending that he is is foolish.

Most other teams media outlets agree that he's going to be expensive and Britton gets more expensive by the day after each dominant outing.

Just my two cents ...you don't have to agree

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I own him as well  and should the Brewers not land Machado, I expect Hiura gets called up a week or so later.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Manny needs a large market team in order to sustain his salary demands.

His salary demands? We're talking about this season not next season. Small market teams with be just as much in play for Manny as large marketing teams if they have the prospects to land him.