Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

4 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Meh, you’re not going to convince the natives differently so there’s no point in arguing. I’m a Dodger fan but have been a lurker since the day the Bedard deal broke and somebody here had a good scoop.

The locals get really dug in. Last year it was “Chapman++” literally hundreds of times for Britton. We know how well that went. Now they hang onto every shred of a positive word from Callie. Fans on this site want other teams to bail the team out from a miserable front office. Educated FO’s won’t do that. But the more you push the more dug in they get. So I just try to pepper them with humor once in a while. They are Oriole fans. There’s not much to look forward to until the Angelos family sells. 

Don't be a turd.  This forum is no different than every other fan's forum when it comes to this kind of thing.  We were on the other side of this coin not long ago and some of the offers that fans of other teams were proposing were silly as well.

25 minutes ago, keithstone said:

Hey man it's a forum. We aren't going to have the same opinion. One of us will be right, or neither of us. Time will tell. I have nothing against the Orioles. In fact, I kinda hope you fleece the Yankees or Dodgers in a trade. That either helps the Brewers by weakening the NL or helps weaken the Yankees...which makes 90+% of the baseball world happy because nobody likes the Yankees.

I am not sure what you are saying.  The team trading for Machado will be giving up prospects.   Having Machado on their team will make them better not worse.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Don't be a turd.  This forum is no different than every other fan's forum when it comes to this kind of thing.  We were on the other side of this coin not long ago and some of the offers that fans of other teams were proposing were silly as well.

Yeah we never traded our top prospects but we never got a top rental either.   To expect to not give up top prospects to get superstar rental is comical. 

8 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Meh, you’re not going to convince the natives differently so there’s no point in arguing. I’m a Dodger fan but have been a lurker since the day the Bedard deal broke and somebody here had a good scoop.

The locals get really dug in. Last year it was “Chapman++” literally hundreds of times for Britton. We know how well that went. Now they hang onto every shred of a positive word from Callie. Fans on this site want other teams to bail the team out from a miserable front office. Educated FO’s won’t do that. But the more you push the more dug in they get. So I just try to pepper them with humor once in a while. They are Oriole fans. There’s not much to look forward to until the Angelos family sells. 

Fair enough. And I don't expect to change their minds, I came here to kind of gather their viewpoints on trade expectations. You'd be shocked to hear how different their trade versus brewer fan trade is. Common sense tells you it will fall in the middle somewhere if it happens.

I will tend to agree on your comment regarding educated FO's. Cashman hasn't made a bad trade in years, he either rips off the other team or doesn't trade. Dodgers GM is one of the best in the game as well. There aren't any GM's like Dombrowski or Epstein to wildly overpay for upgrades, those teams simply don't have prospects anymore. 

If I was an Orioles fan, I'd be hoping for a Burnes/May/Adams caliber as my centerpiece with 1 or 2 more solid players for MM. I'd also be pretty upset that we didn't trade MM over the offseason.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what you are saying.  The team trading for Machado will be giving up prospects.   Having Machado on their team will make them better not worse.

I was referring to long term. That only helps this year. Next year, their organization is overall weaker. If you guys pull Sheffield or Verdugo from the Dodgers or Yankees, that's 6-7 cost controlled years of likely high level production that they don't get anymore, nor do they get that player as a trade chip. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah we never traded our top prospects but we never got a top rental either.   To expect to not give up top prospects to get superstar rental is comical. 

I agree somewhat, but devil's advocate...look at the return for JD Martinez last year. 

2 hours ago, pdiddy said:

Up there. But Randy Johnson, Schilling, and McGwire were all deadline deals.

I think Machado is ahead of McGwire, if for no other reason than position and position flexibility.  I’d put him ahead of Schilling too, but that’s debatable.  Randy Johnson is tougher and that could probably go 50/50 either way depending on how badly you need pitching.

8 minutes ago, keithstone said:

I agree somewhat, but devil's advocate...look at the return for JD Martinez last year. 

JD Martinez is a DH.  That immediately eliminated half the league.   

10 minutes ago, keithstone said:

I was referring to long term. That only helps this year. Next year, their organization is overall weaker. If you guys pull Sheffield or Verdugo from the Dodgers or Yankees, that's 6-7 cost controlled years of likely high level production that they don't get anymore, nor do they get that player as a trade chip. 

Dodgers and Yankees can just sign top free agent's.  I doubt losing one of their top prospects is going to hurt them.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

JD Martinez is a DH.  That immediately eliminated half the league.   

Come on man, you have an argument but that's blatantly false. He plays OF, he's below average out there but he plays outfield. And he was traded to an NL team. MM has more value than JD Martinez in my opinion despite Martinez being the better hitter due to defense, but it's not a baseless comparison...it's probably the best comp out there.

10 minutes ago, keithstone said:

2-3 wins over the last 2 months of a season when you’re in a tight pennant race is huge, and the difference between being a division winner and wild card is also pretty substantial.  Teams (rightfully) value  those wins at the deadline very highly, because the benefit of simply making the playoffs, especially as a division winner, is super high, and there’s no guarantee that the same opportunity will exist next season.  Didn’t the orioles get something like $25 million in playoff revenue sharing  when they made the ALCS?

21 minutes ago, keithstone said:

Fair enough. And I don't expect to change their minds, I came here to kind of gather their viewpoints on trade expectations. You'd be shocked to hear how different their trade versus brewer fan trade is. Common sense tells you it will fall in the middle somewhere if it happens.

I will tend to agree on your comment regarding educated FO's. Cashman hasn't made a bad trade in years, he either rips off the other team or doesn't trade. Dodgers GM is one of the best in the game as well. There aren't any GM's like Dombrowski or Epstein to wildly overpay for upgrades, those teams simply don't have prospects anymore. 

If I was an Orioles fan, I'd be hoping for a Burnes/May/Adams caliber as my centerpiece with 1 or 2 more solid players for MM. I'd also be pretty upset that we didn't trade MM over the offseason.

First why would we be upset Machado wasn't traded in off-season?  Reports are offers are much better now. 

Also Epstein has won 3 World Series and is only 44.  It would be hard to argue he is not a very effective GM if not the best. 

Cashman hasn't won a World Series this decade. He only won when Yankees outspent every tram by a huge margin.  I am sure he is on the hot seat. 

8 minutes ago, Hallas said:

2-3 wins over the last 2 months of a season when you’re in a tight pennant race is huge, and the difference between being a division winner and wild card is also pretty substantial.  Teams (rightfully) value  those wins at the deadline very highly, because the benefit of simply making the playoffs, especially as a division winner, is super high, and there’s no guarantee that the same opportunity will exist next season.  Didn’t the orioles get something like $25 million in playoff revenue sharing  when they made the ALCS?

Plus they sold a lot of season tickets the next year.   Small market teams like the Brewers should just go for it when they have the chance.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keithstone said:

Hey man it's a forum. We aren't going to have the same opinion. One of us will be right, or neither of us. Time will tell. I have nothing against the Orioles. In fact, I kinda hope you fleece the Yankees or Dodgers in a trade. That either helps the Brewers by weakening the NL or helps weaken the Yankees...which makes 90+% of the baseball world happy because nobody likes the Yankees.

If the Dodgers win the Manny and Britton bidding they will have a very high likelihood of going to the Series. I honestly think they do more for the Dodgers than the Brewers. Although the Brewers have a bigger hole up the middle.

Could very likely be nothing, but are a couple more teams in the mix?

The Orioles have been scouting the Phillies’ affiliates. Meanwhile, the Phillies again had a scout at tonight’s game, joining representatives from the Cubs, Athletics and Mariners, among others.

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/orioles-rally-but-again-fall-short-in-5-4-loss.html