Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Plus they sold a lot of season tickets the next year.   Small market teams like the Brewers should just go for it when they have the chance.   

I think Brewers could benefit more from another starting pitcher.  How about Manny and Gausman to the Brewers.

57 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Athletics, I know they are on a hot streak but come on.  

huh-meme-e1522366942760.png

Don't think Oakland is there for Manny. Perhaps one of our relievers, AJ, Valencia,  Trumbo.... who knows. Probably the same with the Mariners.

The pace of these MM talks needs to pick up.  I think the best players go to the highest bidders early in most years.  On one hand, we can only move so fast if the Phillies don't get serious with offers until July 13, but our FO needs to get back to bidders about where the new goal posts are and solicit new offers at a more rapid pace.  It is really a shame we are two days from a three day break because this really shouldn't drag on too much closer to the trade deadline.  You tell the Phillies what it takes for them to be in the lead and they can get there or not.  If they do, then you call the Brewers, Dodgers, NYY and DBacks and tell them what they need to beat.  

I understand there is a complication with ZB and some of the same and other teams expressing interest, but the best overall package of prospects would  most likely be to sell them off separately.  And if they are packaged together, it's not rocket science, it's one combined compared to two separate trade offers.

These MM talks need to pick up steam, reach a crescendo, see teams drop out and then best and final offers from the last two or three teams.  

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Don't think Oakland is there for Manny. Perhaps one of our relievers, AJ, Valencia,  Trumbo.... who knows. Probably the same with the Mariners.

Some of those teams might be looking at Texas' players too. Cole Hamels, for example.

12 hours ago, theobird said:

The O's find themselves lucky right now. They have a bidding war going on between several teams. I now think the return will be better, much better, than I thought it would be just a couple weeks ago. Machado is the premier position player available. Nobody really argues that. From what I have seen, it is apparent that Britton is 100% and back to being a premier closer, if not the best closer in all of baseball. A team that is in position to win it all will pay up for that shot. I know if I were a GM in that position, I would and never blink. Unbelievably, thats the position we are now in.

It may make sense to trade Machado and Britton seperately. Thats for the Orioles to decide. But it is my opinion that a contender with the prospect capital will make a huge prospect payment to get these guys. 

I think Britton has improved his stock, but I don’t think he’s going to yield a “top closer” return because he’s had a good week and a half.    

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is it pronounced "Seeto" or "Sicksto"?

I have never seen MacPhail blink when it comes to trades.  He usually makes the other guy blink.  

That said, I hope you are right.

8 hours ago, Hallas said:

2-3 wins over the last 2 months of a season when you’re in a tight pennant race is huge, and the difference between being a division winner and wild card is also pretty substantial.  Teams (rightfully) value  those wins at the deadline very highly, because the benefit of simply making the playoffs, especially as a division winner, is super high, and there’s no guarantee that the same opportunity will exist next season.  Didn’t the orioles get something like $25 million in playoff revenue sharing  when they made the ALCS?

I don’t think it was nearly that much.     

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is it pronounced "Seeto" or "Sicksto"?

I know that Sixto Lezcano pronounced it "six toe", so I assume that is Sanchez as well.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have never seen MacPhail blink when it comes to trades.  He usually makes the other guy blink.  

If the owner wants you to make a splash pressure might be put on you to do it.  

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Have you ever seen MacPhail as a buyer competing with other buyers?    No.    You’ve only seen him on the other side of that equation.    Buying is harder, I think.