Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

Unless a trade happens by tonight, I think it's a foregone conclusion, that Manny will represent the Orioles in the ASG.

I don't see a trade happening the Sunday before All Star week, either.

So, I'm banking on not seeing too many rumors this weekend and a trade, hopefully, by the end of next week.

15 hours ago, ISU94 said:

I'm not making assumptions. But in years past the pain for other organizations have been Peter. We've heard about DD getting to the finish line on deals (that sound pretty damn solid I may add) just for Peter to pull the plug on it at the last minute. 

If that isn't happening, than Crasnick's tweet doesn't add up. Sounds to me like he's getting leaks from people we're talking to and teams (deservedly so until proven otherwise) are saying what he spewed or he's just bringing up old news.

Again, it's July 13th, so I find a tweet like Crasnicks odd. He makes it sound like we're dragging things out  when it's over two weeks from the deadline and the main obstacle over a deal is probably not even an obstacle or part of the team really anymore.

Crasnick is going to be interviewed on WTEM 980 (DC all sports station) about the Orioles’ front office situation in a few minutes.    The interview also will be available on the Chin Music podcast after the show is over.    

The Phillies, for the past three years, have had a mission in the minors. The system was bereft of pitching prospects. The big-league rotation was in shambles. Now, they have a rotation filled with four promising young arms — three of them acquired in trades, two of which were made by Ruben Amaro Jr. — and a veteran leader. The Triple-A rotation has at least two, maybe three, pitchers who could be in a major-league rotation for another team.

There are prospects in the Reading rotation. There are prospects in the Clearwater and Lakewood rotations. There are ones with high ceilings in rookie ball. It is the system’s strength.

If the trade for Machado must include a consensus top-100 prospect, it does not have to include Sixto Sanchez, the organization’s top arm. It can be Adonis Medina. If the Orioles want major-league-ready talent, the Phillies could point to Maikel Franco or J.P. Crawford. If the Orioles want another pitching prospect, the Phillies have depth from which to offer.

Here, in no particular order, are some of the choices: Adonis Medina, JoJo Romero, Ranger Suarez, Enyel De Los Santos, Cole Irvin, Franklyn Kilomé, Francisco Morales, Spencer Howard, Drew Anderson, Bailey Falter, Mauricio Llovera, Kyle Young, Will Stewart and Connor Seabold. Those 14 pitchers are all prospects to varying degrees. That list does not include pop-up guys who have impressed in 2018 like Damon Jones, David Parkinson and Ramon Rosso.

The idea is, if the Phillies have to trade one or two or three of them, it does not deplete the unit. The Phillies know that some of these pitchers will break. Some of them will become relievers. Others could make the majors as rotation pieces. Most will not reach their potential.

Some of them, simply, could take a great deal of time to solve it all.

There is an argument that the National League team to acquire Machado this month will become the immediate favorites to win what is a muddled league. The separation between Machado and the next-best available bat (Mike Moustakas?) is steep. The Dodgers, Brewers and Diamondbacks are said to be interested in Machado. The Cubs have overcome serious pitching issues and are always dangerous. But the underperforming Nationals have opened the door for the Phillies — and everyone else.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If the Dodgers win the Manny and Britton bidding they will have a very high likelihood of going to the Series. I honestly think they do more for the Dodgers than the Brewers. Although the Brewers have a bigger hole up the middle.

I doubt they make the playoffs.  They are only 10 games above .500 and three other teams in their division are within 3 games of them.   

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I doubt they make the playoffs.  They are only 10 games above .500 and three other teams in their division are within 3 games of them.   

Manny would certainly improve their odds.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Crasnick is going to be interviewed on WTEM 980 (DC all sports station) about the Orioles’ front office situation in a few minutes.    The interview also will be available on the Chin Music podcast after the show is over.    

Awesome. Yeah just let me know a link or let us know what he has to say if possible.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I have never seen MacPhail blink when it comes to trades.  He usually makes the other guy blink.  

That said, I hope you are right.

Getting Jones and Tillman wasn't a steal for a number one starter with two years of team control left.   You only think it is because Bedard had injury problems after the trade. Not sure what trades he got steals with Orioles other than Hardy.   Luke Scott didn't help the rebuild. 

Trading for Reynolds as third baseman was a big mistake.  

After trading Bedard, MacPhail said that the first three pieces fell into place almost immediately, but that settling on the last two pieces was like "getting water from a stone." Wouldn't surprise me if we were in a similar place now, with the main pieces of a Machado trade in place and MacPhail and Duquette ironing out the last piece or two. 

Seems like the perfect team for us to trade with because of their wealth of pitching prospects, and PGA has a lot of respect for MacPhail, so there shouldn't be a big hangup (as long as everyone passes their medicals). Hope they can get it done today.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flacco Machado said:

Unless a trade happens by tonight, I think it's a foregone conclusion, that Manny will represent the Orioles in the ASG.

I don't see a trade happening the Sunday before All Star week, either.

So, I'm banking on not seeing too many rumors this weekend and a trade, hopefully, by the end of next week.

He would not even get in a game before the All Star break.He will represent the Orioles. 

39 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

After trading Bedard, MacPhail said that the first three pieces fell into place almost immediately, but that settling on the last two pieces was like "getting water from a stone." Wouldn't surprise me if we were in a similar place now, with the main pieces of a Machado trade in place and MacPhail and Duquette ironing out the last piece or two. 

Seems like the perfect team for us to trade with because of their wealth of pitching prospects, and PGA has a lot of respect for MacPhail, so there shouldn't be a big hangup (as long as everyone passes their medicals). Hope they can get it done today.

Agreed.  If I were a betting man I'd say it Medina, Crawford/Franco, and two other pieces that they are ironing out.

5 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

The more I read about Spencer Howard. The more I like him.

Machado and Britton for Medina, Crawford, Haseley, Kilome, Howard

Not a bad package.  In your opinion since he's up in Philly now, do you think Enyel would be off the table.  My hope is still something like Medina, Enyel, Haseley, Crawford, and someone like Howard.