Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I wonder out loud if we can get Lux for the addition cash that they need? Or Gonsolin? I'm think it's very possible that Britton and Machado go together and it's the best chance to get a huge haul.

I suspect combining the two could get the single best prospect, but overall the value will probably be the same. For example, dealing them separately you may not get better than a B or B+ guy. Combining them to the Dodgers may convince them to give up an A- or better prospect, someone like Verdugo. I personally would rather have 2 B+ or A- prospects than 4 or 5 B/B- prospects...just my opinion.

1 minute ago, keithstone said:

Yesterday the Brewers were fading, 2 days ago the Phillies were fading. Way too early to handicap this on any one team. At this point, smart money says he gets dealt between the all star game and Friday games.

2 minutes ago, keithstone said:

Yesterday the Brewers were fading, 2 days ago the Phillies were fading. Way too early to handicap this on any one team. At this point, smart money says he gets dealt between the all star game and Friday games.

I think the tabled offer make them finalist. I think the Os want to get this done. You may get be right timIng! I'm hoping they made calls to say this is our best offer and we think your package will beat it and get the deal done. Then see who bites.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Considering they have a ton of money available I doubt they needed it but interesting nonetheless.

One other Brewers tidbit I'll add, I had heard that David Stearns is currently visiting our AA affiliate. Could possibly mean we are including a player from AA. Our AA squad has the most prospect firepower of any Brewers affiliate by far. Hiura, Ortiz, Medeiros, Brown, Ray, Erceg...to name a few. Most of those guys would probably be in a current top 10 prospects if one were drawn up today by the national guys.

1 minute ago, keithstone said:

I suspect combining the two could get the single best prospect, but overall the value will probably be the same. For example, dealing them separately you may not get better than a B or B+ guy. Combining them to the Dodgers may convince them to give up an A- or better prospect, someone like Verdugo. I personally would rather have 2 B+ or A- prospects than 4 or 5 B/B- prospects...just my opinion.

I've stated before that 

I think your kidding yourself. The Orioles are getting somebody 1 or 2 for Manny plus another high guy and 1-2 others. They will likely get a B for Britton plus another lesser guy, Callis' comment not mto me. Together they get you the 1 or 2 guy and 2 B types and 2 others. 

The kicker that you could be ignoring is eating salary to keep the Dodgers under the luxury tax. If the Orioles do that it has a ton of additional value IMO. Not likely in additional players but quality. That is how I arrive at the projection mentioned. Will the Orioles eat the payroll? Debatable....Hopefully someone has convinced them that it's needed to get the best return.

4 minutes ago, keithstone said:

One other Brewers tidbit I'll add, I had heard that David Stearns is currently visiting our AA affiliate. Could possibly mean we are including a player from AA. Our AA squad has the most prospect firepower of any Brewers affiliate by far. Hiura, Ortiz, Medeiros, Brown, Ray, Erceg...to name a few. Most of those guys would probably be in a current top 10 prospects if one were drawn up today by the national guys.

Right on...hopefully 2 ....  Id wan Hiura (Broken record I know) and Medeiros. Like Erceg but would feel better if his BA was higher. His K per AB is pretty good and his BB rate is also good. But I'd prefer Hiura and it's not close.

1 hour ago, weams said:

This is the same guy that said Orioles fans would be cheated if Manny doesn't play as an Oriole in the ASG. Take his opinion with a boulder of salt, not a grain.

As a lifelong O's fan I want a good team sooner, rather than later.

30 minutes ago, weams said:

Heck, he'd make room for Donnie Hart. 

Surprised really...he had a 2.00 era last season for them out of the pen. Traded for cash seems like a give away.  His era this season is inflated but he's only pitched 4 innngs.

14 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

This is the same guy that said Orioles fans would be cheated if Manny doesn't play as an Oriole in the ASG. Take his opinion with a boulder of salt, not a grain.

As a lifelong O's fan I want a good team sooner, rather than later.

I can see why the O's are keeping Manny through the ASG, but at this point, most fans are sick of watching this team.

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I can see why the O's are keeping Manny through the ASG, but at this point, most fans are sick of watching this team.

It’s for the casual fan, I’m guessing. Of course, it makes me wonder how much money does the casual fan spend on the team every year for the O’s to cater to them. Casual fan vs. plugged in fanatic. 

2 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Does this latest Philly trade mean they are no longer going after Manny?

I thought it cleared a roster space to add him. It was for cash rather than a player in return.