Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

Just now, atomic said:

The rates are even higher if you exclude people who voted in the last 3 days.  People were pretty pessimistic but I don't know why as these same people were calling Manny a generational talent for the last 6 years. 

I also didn't vote, I'm sure many didn't.  To be honest, I rarely know what to expect with this team. 

Just now, orioles119 said:

It's not like Machado is the only tradeable asset either.  You can get your other prospects from say the Britton trade (1 top 50 + 2 filler) and Jones/Givens to Cleveland for say Nolan Jones and/or Triston McKenzie.  Brach, Trumbo, Valencia - maybe even Cashner can fetch pieces as well.

I agree more can be done.  I was simply focus on the Manny part, as it's the Manny trade thread ;)  I do think they can potentially change things for a better future.  The perspective was simply to counter the oh my god were getting Rule V players for Manny f'n Machado crap.  If we can get a starting OF, reliever and maybe another MLB starter for a few months of Manny, that's likely a good haul at this point.

7 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

As for the "Rule V" guys.  I get that they are more likely fringe than stars, getting 2-3 flyers from a team that has near 25% chance of winning the WS (according to stat nerds) likely has some decent talent that is on the cusp.  The 38-40 guys on the Dodgers will be a bit better than the 41-42 that would be available in the Rule V draft.  Add to it that we can send those guys to the minors (just need to be on our 40 man) should make a big difference.  How many rule V guys would develop better if they simply played every day and with lower competition as they learn. 

Satyr did a real disserve identifying the likely additional prospects as Rule V guys (an interpretation disputed by several posters) which was compounded by Roll Tide complaining about some of the prospects mentioned.  Alvarez and Rios are nowhere near rated among the LAD 38-40 guys.  They were both within the LAD top 15 prospects to start the year.  

Have you guys seen anything official yet? I've seen some people say it's just about done or expected, and others say it's almost done but still room for other teams to jump in.

You guys generally seem to be all over any sort of news on the trade.

1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

A couple thoughts:

first - you (Roll Tide) have kept the board well informed of the latest rumors - so kudos for that.  I don't know why folks like Luke and Brooksie and Gator can't find this information on their own on the internet (or simply read the thread) and yet find fun in mocking it when someone else puts forward that information.  Instead, I guess some find it funny to post something like - so the speculator is speculating about others speculating.

And I post that last sentence especially because there appears to be some consistent consensus (despite Luke posting about vastly different rumors) falling in line with Heyman's tweet about Diaz plus four without May.  Anyone can go to nypost.com and see that site has an article in line here.  Also, our own OH insider also popped in last night to say May was not in the deal.

Second, I agree with ISU94 that Roll Tide has really set up and posted frequently unrealistic expectations of a return including Diaz with May and Lux plus one - which literally might be 2X to 3X the value of the rumored Philly offer of Medina/Gamboa plus one/other.  Even if LAD had to beat out a Brewer offer better than the Philly one, that advocated package is …. way too much.

Huh, I gotta go back and re-read some posts I guess. None of those things were/are my intention.

I'm fine with rumors, especially if the source of said rumor is linked. I'm not mocking anyone. I just am of the opinion that the swirl of emotions from exuburance to depression over the return in a trade that no one here knows is a little bit overboard. I am fine with any criticism I receive for that opinion. My statement about stating opinions in public forums wasn't tongue in cheek or directed at anyone in particular, it's something I truly take to heart and applies to me as much as anyone else.

• Upvote 4

Ken Rosenthal's latest, and, of course, a shot at the Orioles front office

“Strange operation,” an official from one of the Machado bidders said of the Orioles. “Strange process,” said another. The Orioles’ history of quashing trades and free-agent signings over medical concerns makes teams reluctant to confirm deals with them until the news is official. Machado, like most of the All-Stars, had his phone with him in the dugout, and at one point could be seen talking on it. But he told me in an interview on Fox during the game that he had not heard a thing about the deal.

https://theathletic.com/436266/2018/07/18/rosenthal-a-surreal-all-star-night-for-the-soon-to-be-traded-machado-and-what-the-deal-could-mean-for-the-dodgers/

6 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

A couple thoughts:

first - you (Roll Tide) have kept the board well informed of the latest rumors - so kudos for that.  I don't know why folks like Luke and Brooksie and Gator can't find this information on their own on the internet (or simply read the thread) and yet find fun in mocking it when someone else puts forward that information.  Instead, I guess some find it funny to post something like - so the speculator is speculating about others speculating.

And I post that last sentence especially because there appears to be some consistent consensus (despite Luke posting about vastly different rumors) falling in line with Heyman's tweet about Diaz plus four without May.  Anyone can go to nypost.com and see that site has an article in line here.  Also, our own OH insider also popped in last night to say May was not in the deal.

Whoa.. slow your role. Nobody has mocked anyone. I'm just saying if the New York Post (LOL.. okay, I'm mocking that one) is the source you're relying on when there are multiple reports saying otherwise, then perhaps we shouldn't be so confident in how we present the information here.

Just now, hoosiers said:

Satyr did a real disserve identifying the likely additional prospects as Rule V guys (an interpretation disputed by several posters) which was compounded by Roll Tide complaining about some of the prospects mentioned.  Alvarez and Rios are nowhere near rated among the LAD 38-40 guys.  They were both within the LAD top 15 prospects to start the year.  

Well, to be fair the top 15 prospects would be the 26-40th guys on their 40 man, since the first 25 aren't prospects ;)

However, I really do believe another year developing in the minors would help these guys and would be more than solid guys on our top 40. 

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Ok Ken, ok...

🙄

Oh come on.

Remove emotion from the situation.  Seriously, take a deep breath, count to 10.

Is he wrong?  

• Upvote 2

The list that the Dodgers guy on the message board  did not have Rios anywhere on it so maybe it is inaccurate or not.  The only reason that Rios name actually came up was because he was not in the opening  line up yesterday like Diaz.  However he did come up to pinch hit in that game so that may be an indication.  

I still think lot of people are making a huge difference between Jackson and Robinson but there isn't as big of difference in the two and Robinson maybe the better long term compared to Jackson at shortstop as he has been playing for the Tulsa team there more.  Robinson has little less pop but is younger then Jackson on that team.

15 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Also, our own OH insider also popped in last night to say May was not in the deal.

332.gif

Oh come on.

Is he wrong?  

Does that bit of information add anything of value?  Is it all all newsworthy?  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh come on.

Is he wrong?  

It's every article man. Every single one. You think other teams don't have problems or past troubles inside the org? I don't see then being blasted at an org time and time again by the guy. He's clearly salty still about something from his time here.

Is he wrong about how Pete did business? No. But he was the one saying Pete is out of the picture as well. If thats the case, then yes, he may very well be wrong.

Just now, ISU94 said:

It's every article man. Every single one. You think other teams don't have problems or past troubles inside the org? I don't see then being blasted at an org time and time again by the guy. He's clearly salty still about something from his time here.

Is he wrong about how Pete did business? No. But he was the one saying Pete is out of the picture as well. If thats the case, then yes, he may very well be wrong.

I don't know if it's every article.  I haven't read all his articles, I am assuming you haven't either.  I don't have a subscription to the Athletic.  But it's certainly every article posted here because...well, it's an Orioles board.  We're not talking about the Padres and if he's writing an article about the Padres none of us are going to see it.  If he writes it and it's Orioles related, it's going to be posted here.  On top of that, the Machado trade is one of the 3 biggest stories in the sport right now, if not the biggest so he's got to write about it.  So sure, it seems like it's every article.  

He took a direct quote from two people who are involved in the process and reported it.  Those quotes jive with what we already know about dealing with the Orioles.  I don't see what the problem is.  If it's another writer writing that, are we whining about that writer too? 

10 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

He may be salty but he isn't wrong. It's not a shot if it's true and we all know it is.

Edited by terphoopsfan
not too bright