Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Possible snag in Machado deal to Dodgers. Sources indicate that one or more of prospects coming to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Orioles</a> have some issues in their physicals.  Surprise surprise.  May open door for other clubs. Stay tuned.</p>&mdash; Steve Phillips (@StevePhillipsGM) <a href="https://twitter.com/StevePhillipsGM/status/1019645897209270274?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 minutes ago, xian4 said:

seems ok source

Ha. This is what they did with Gallardo. Leak leak leak, get the Dodgers invested, then change the deal at the last minute. Hope we get Lux out of this. Dan is a shrew sonofagun.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

Holy cow...I hope this doesn't get messed up.   I want Diaz.

we're gonna lose Machado for a pick, aren't we?  

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

LOL.  Did someone have a cold three weeks ago and the Orioles now can't acquire him?

The O's are usually pretty spot on with their physicals, to be honest. Gallardo, Balfour, etc.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Is there any list you can present that suggests anything close to that? It may not be available because most scouts don’t have any public lists. Fangraphs doesn’t have May or Diaz in their updated top 131. The fangraphs preseason Dodgers list had May 9 and Diaz 11. They aren’t as high on these two guys. It appears that most have Diaz around 4th, with the promotion of Buehler, and May around 8-10. 

Verdugo, Urias, Buehler, Bellinger and Seager give the Dodgers an enviable group of young (Started the year at 23 or younger) talent. My mother is from Brooklyn, I grew up in a home with unique rules, you couldn’t, “Dallas” or “Dodgers”. I will always root against LAD, but they are fun to watch. 

Last year MLB rated the Dodgers preseason top 10 this way:

Bellinger/Alvarez/Verdugo/Calhoun/Buehler/Diaz/Lux/Stewart/Toles/Sheffield. They also had Kendall in the systems top 4 at one point in 2017.

MLB.com gave Alvarez the best FB (75) and slider (60) in the Dodgers system. That means a group of Alvarez, Diaz, and Lux would have been surprisingly good if we had traded him last year. I hope we are able to land Diaz along with the upside Alvarez has. 

Last year Sickles didn’t have May in the Dodgers preseason top 20, but Alvarez was 2nd. He was in the untouchable range back then, only behind Cody Bellinger. Sickles had Diaz 6th, ahead of Buehler. He didn’t have Santana in the top 25, but now mlb.com has him 5th. 

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/1/6/14193446/los-angeles-dodgers-top-20-prospects-for-2017

To your larger point, these things fluctuate quickly and different scouts see different things. We have to hope our guys identify the right guys and develop them properly. Alvarez and Diaz looks like an excellent start for me to hope for. Injury risks and Os don’t go together, but that talent is very hard to find.

*With all of the talent LAD has in their system, I wouldn’t want Baltimore to trade DL Hall for anyone on their current prospect list*

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/41327/2018-prospects-the-midseason-top-50/ 

Diaz is rated #31 and May #37.  Different publications show different rankings, so it's hard to know.  I haven't seen other updated mid-season lists, but they'll probably be out soon.