Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Probably not. But if we get something good back, it might work out. It appears Moran is not too much. I'd like to get Nolan Jones. 

I don't know. Seems like teams are more eager this year.

Wasn't his velocity down a tick from where it is now? I feel like we were getting offers based on his forearm/elbow issue.

Just now, Malike said:

Didn't they offer him a 3 year deal anyway, though? I don't think the medical was the sticking point. As to the which pitchers have the O's gone after that other teams want, well, that's fairly easy to answer. None. Why? Maybe because they aren't getting involved in 6-7 year deals for over 20M a year with any pitcher. Those are the pitchers that people want.

What I remember hearing is that the medicals were the reason they wouldn't match the four years offered by the Braves.

13 minutes ago, weams said:

Frank Wren was also part of that front office that ended up being banned from baseball over the international prospect fraud. He just was gone a year or two early. 

Frank Wren would've had Mussina locked up for another contract if not for Peter.  Wren also didn't like the Angelos boys sticking their noses into his business.  Bud told Peter to pay up the $350K that Wren had left on his deal when he was fired.

Frank Wren as quoted in "From 33rd Street to Camden Yards" by John Eisenberg p.484

Maybe he has only fired one GM, but he has made them all so miserable that they leave. That's his MO, to make you so miserable that you have to leave. I resigned two weeks after I took the job. I had seen more than enough. I couldn't deal with that level of involvement from Peter and his boys. You needed approval for things and the approval process dragged on forever, so long that you couldn't hardly get anything done. I had all these vacancies to fill when I took over, and I was having trouble even getting people in for interviews. And there were all these 'suggestions' being made. The level of involvement was very high. I walked in and quit after two weeks. He talked me out of it. Lasting eleven months was a chore.

2 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I'm not saying it may not think a pitcher think twice, but I don't think people are going to be worried unless there is reason to believe we'd flag you. If that's the case, I'm happy we aren't commiting big $ to a player on a likely long-term contract.

If anything, we are the home for free agent pitchers the rest of baseball has flagged as being worn out late '80s Chevys...even without having to look at the MRI spaghetti. The O's doctors haven't invented a new branch of orthopedic medicine.

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

This has GOT to stop. No one in the league is going to want to go through the ordeal of trading with us, and it VITALLY important, as we rebuild, that this is not the case.

I disagree vehemently.  I would rather the Orioles dot the i's and cross every t than rush into a deal with an injured prospect just to make some impatient fan happy sitting at their keyboard.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Cashner wasn't rock solid.  Not even close.  He was a lucksack last year.

The second is a lie.  I said, and you quoted, " because of a variety of factors which include their physicals."  I clearly was including other factors.

Last year Cashner had a 3.40 ERA and mid 4 FIP. He threw almost 170 innings and was willing to take a very reasonable contract that would line up with what his numbers deserve for a veteran starter in the MLB.

Well you seem to be heavily focused on people passing on us because of physicals when you have no proof of that. When you are only willing to offer short term deals to pitchers who generally are the ones that have problems at some point, that takes you out of the running for most. Names in which we got and may have been the only ones in on are generally what you are getting for 3 year deals.

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Markakis except for this year hasn't been worth his contract.  They thought the neck injury would sap his power.  They were right.  They were still willing to offer him a contract.

Eh, at 8.5M a win it was pretty close before this season.

The Braves certainly wern't getting killed on his deal.

58 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Is Burnes passing an Orioles physical? If the deal is Diaz plus 4 other B- rated prospects I pick the Dodgers deal over the Brewers deal too. For me, Diaz/Mays is better than Burnes/Phillips. I mean, is many going to increase his value over the next 2 weeks? Find a deal, clear the guys medically and let's go.

Zero chance we are getting Diaz and 4 other B rated guys

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Just pick a different guy then 

Which is what we'll do most likely. People are just going nuts because it's Orioles and medicals. Phillips is the only one acting like it's some big hangup who has an awful reputation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Last year Cashner had a 3.40 ERA and mid 4 FIP. He threw almost 170 innings and was willing to take a very reasonable contract that would line up with what his numbers deserve for a veteran starter in the MLB.

Well you seem to be heavily focused on people passing on us because of physicals when you have no proof of that. When you are only willing to offer short term deals to pitchers who generally are the ones that have problems at some point, that takes you out of the running for most. Names in which we got and may have been the only ones in on are generally what you are getting for 3 year deals.

4.61 FIP is "rock solid" now?

News to me.

His K and BB rates were terrible and he was extremely lucky to end up with the ERA he finished with.

I'm not saying his signing was a nightmare and he's exceeded my expectations this year but he wasn't "rock solid" unless the only thing you look at is ERA.

5 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

This has GOT to stop. No one in the league is going to want to go through the ordeal of trading with us, and it VITALLY important, as we rebuild, that this is not the case.

This is completely wrong in my opinion. I don't think teams avoid dealing with our FO. If we are a match they deal. There is no GM worth their salt that will not try to make a deal with any team if its the best deal. Way over blown and hyped IMHO

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I disagree vehemently.  I would rather the Orioles dot the i's and cross every t than rush into a deal with an injured prospect just to make some impatient fan happy sitting at their keyboard.  

I'm not talking about a single player in a single deal. I'm talking about our reputation as a trading partner.  Every other trade we hear the reports with other GMs saying that we're weird and hard to deal with.  We also pull what HAS to be an above league average amount of deals back on medicals.

I'm saying we need to do more to manage our reputation.  If no one wants to trade with us, it will handicap us severely.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

4.61 FIP is "rock solid" now?

News to me.

His K and BB rates were terrible and he was extremely lucky to end up with the ERA he finished with.

I'm not saying his signing was a nightmare and he's exceeded my expectations this year but he wasn't "rock solid" unless the only thing you look at is ERA.

Didnt realize his FIP was that high. If you want to get at me on that then I'll take the hit. He pitched like a back end veteran starter and got paid like he did. That deal isn't bad whatsoever for us and thus far has been a fair deal.

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

This is completely wrong in my opinion. I don't think teams avoid dealing with our FO. If we are a match they deal. There is no GM worth their salt that will not try to make a deal with any team if its the best deal. Way over blown and hyped IMHO

You see how annoyed the Astros owner was last year?

I could see it having some impact.  Obviously if you have a premium chip teams will hold their nose and make a deal with the devil, assuming the devil doesn't cancel the deal at the last minute.