Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

Is it Chapman++? No

Is it a fair trade and good for both sides? Yes. 

From the Dodger side I’m glad No Verdugo, No May, No Lux, No Furgeson, No Ruiz. Not even Alvarez. 

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

The return is pretty good. A hell of a lot better than a comp pick, for sure. Diaz is a huge get. Kremer seems like a decent back end of the rotation prospect. To me, the others are lottery picks, maybe Bannon is a litlle better than that. Still, pretty solid return. My guess is that ZB will bring back close to this.

The Orioles got more value for Bedard and that was before Jones or Tillman blew up. I suppose my disappointment is with the second prospect in the deal. I would have been cool with losing May/Lux and netting someone like Alvarez. I do not think any player we got from the Dodgers outside of Diaz (#4) was inside of their own top 12 prospects rankings.I did think it would go Diaz, Alvarez/Santana/May/Lux and then something like the other 3 guys we got. I wonder who had to be replaced due to a physical issue.

Just now, GoldGlove21 said:

The Orioles got more value for Bedard and that was before Jones or Tillman blew up. I suppose my disappointment is with the second prospect in the deal. I would have been cool with losing May/Lux and netting someone like Alvarez. I do not think any player we got from the Dodgers outside of Diaz (#4) was inside of their own top 12 prospects rankings.I did think it would go Diaz, Alvarez/Santana/May/Lux and then something like the other 3 guys we got. I wonder who had to be replaced due to a physical issue.

Bedard wasn't a rental.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Bedard wasn't a rental.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Diaz is clearly the centerpiece

Enroll Robinson is hitting .256

Rylan Bannon has struck out 30% of his at bats at High A even though he clearly has pop with 20 bombs

Yadier Alvarez has a stud arm (70?), but his control hurts him.

Manny Banuelos used to be almost an untouchable prospect for the Yankees, but he is 27

I wish this deal would have been Diaz, May, Alvarez, but this deal is better than Burnes/Phillips/+ IMO. I don't love the deal, but I will if Alvarez returns to form, Diaz is who people think he is and one of the other three guys contributes at all to the ML team.

He's got some holes in his swing, but he's not walk-averse, ala Mountcastle. Has walked 60 times this year. So there's room for that to balance a bit.

4 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Is it Chapman++? No

Is it a fair trade and good for both sides? Yes. 

From the Dodger side I’m glad No Verdugo, No May, No Lux, No Furgeson, No Ruiz. Not even Alvarez. 

No salary dump.

6 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I don't really know the lingo on these things, but isn't that the ratio you would expect? The 50 mil is potential while the 25 mil just walked down a red carpet in high waters.

The 50mm is the median outcome based on past prospect performance, so I would say that the “potential” part is already priced in.   You get a premium because deadline wins are more valuable to a contender than future wins are.  Getting 2 marginal wins is pretty substantial.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

He's got some holes in his swing, but he's not walk-averse, ala Mountcastle. Has walked 60 times this year. So there's room for that to balance a bit.

If he ends up a Three True Outcome guy who can play a decent 3B defensively - I'll definitely take that as a complimentary piece.  But man, he's just in A+ and he's at 30%....

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Peterson is a AAA guy at best. Too inconsistent with the bat and glove wherever he plays. Gotta read up on Valera's defense still but his bat screams utility guy. If he can be a switch hitting utility guy that's good defensively and can play adequate SS,3B,2B then he's an upgrade.

On Velera,

Valera in the past has let his high contact and speed help him to a .300 average, and for some reason it didn’t happen this past year. The one encouraging thing for Valera this past year is that his on base ability was still there, in years past he has had the ability to get on base at a .350+ clip.

As Eric Johnson of Viva El Birdos tells us, the one thing that does help Valera’s ability to potentially reach the big leagues is his versatility on defense. In 2015, Valera saw time at 2B, 3B, SS, and LF. So, Valera likely would see time as a versatile utility player instead of a one position player for the Cardinals

https://www.google.com/amp/s/redbirdrants.com/2016/01/01/st-louis-cardinals-2016-top-prospects-part-1/amp/