Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

2 minutes ago, jasmith85 said:

I have to imagine if something was imminent I wouldn't be staring at Manny on second base right now. 

I doubt it happens during a game...

And hey. I never ruled out ruptured spleen in the clubhouse by Chris Davis. 

38 minutes ago, weams said:

Interesting but I'd rather have Verdugo. I'd rather insist on Hiura if im dealing with the Brewers that is one of two pieces I have to have.

Hiura, Dubon, and Medeiros is a very good package.

29 minutes ago, weams said:

This is why I think the Orioles could fleece the Dodgers with Manny, Britton , and salary relief that keeps them under the luxury tax.

Paying Zack and Manny would be good use of the money they didn't use on international players. They would ge buying players from the Dodgers.

i think you can get Verdugo,  White/May, Lux, Ferguson, and someone like Bannon or Gonsolin

About the Brewers

Yes, they’ll have to give up at least a few talented players to get Machado and at the end of the day that’s still a sacrifice for three months of him in a Milwaukee uniform. But they’re as well positioned to make a deep postseason run after a few deadline additions as anyone, and if they don’t pull the trigger on the upgrade of Machado they’ll probably regret it come playoffs time. 

Their depth in particular means that they not only have the assets other teams can’t give the Orioles, they’re also willing to hand them over. Trading a Burnes or a Broxton won’t irreparably harm their future in exchange for one shot this year. They would still be strategically fine and have depth at multiple positions, and also have Manny Machado. That’s as good a reason to follow through with this opportunity as any, and something not every team going after him can say at this point. 

Rumor grade 

A. Whether the rumor actually comes to fruition or not by the trade deadline does not factor into the grade, just whether it’s realistic or not. This is one of the most realistic rumors we’ve seen so far this month and could very well happen before the month is out. There aren’t any major drawbacks for either side save for the Brewers lowballing the Orioles or the Orioles asking for more to see what they can get. Even in that case, signs are pointing to the deal still being able to be worked out with a little bargaining.

• Upvote 1

I agree Arcia is at a great buy-low point.

Broxton and Phillips are interesting players who have been stuck behind better ones.  A 100-loss situation is just right for them, and I would see them as potential upgrades on Stewart and Hays in the near-term outfield.  Even if they are guys we trade away next August after giving them 600 at-bats to give Hays and McKenna time to kick butt in the high minors.  I imagine we would get one not both if a MIL deal happens.

That SS/OF combo would do lots for the team defense.  Also, to many's delight, it would be such a re-tool not re-build package.  Our starting rotation would like it.

I imagine we would be trying for a 3rd piece pitcher.

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I agree Arcia is at a great buy-low point.

Broxton and Phillips are interesting players who have been stuck behind better ones.  A 100-loss situation is just right for them, and I would see them as potential upgrades on Stewart and Hays in the near-term outfield.  Even if they are guys we trade away next August after giving them 600 at-bats to give Hays and McKenna time to kick butt in the high minors.  I imagine we would get one not both if a MIL deal happens.

That SS/OF combo would do lots for the team defense.  Also, to many's delight, it would be such a re-tool not re-build package.  Our starting rotation would like it.

I imagine we would be trying for a 3rd piece pitcher.

I'd accept (f ino better offers) Broxton, Arcia, and Burnes.  I'd want Domingo Santana but he probably won't be on the Orioles when they are competitive again due to service time. 

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd accept (f ino better offers) Broxton, Arcia, and Burnes.  I'd want Domingo Santana but he probably won't be on the Orioles when they are competitive again due to service time. 

Rather have Hiura and Burnes or a lesser pitcher

no interest in two guys hitting under .200.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they have a chance to get Hiura and here folks are expecting Hiura plus.

If the Brewers are going to give up Hiura+ for Machado then as a Cub fan I want them to make that trade.