OsandBohs11

George...COME ON

George will be fine, he just hung another slider. I think he might have slightly underestimated how good Olivo was vs. LHP this season. Maybe throwing away that unlucky glove will help him out...

Bad pitch selection by Ramon or not, Sherrill is the one who threw it and deserves the blame.

It was in a horrible location and nowhere near where Hernandez wanted it.

This is how it works, fellas:

1. Pitch number one: slider. Result: swing. Batter may not have expected it.

2. Pitch number two: slider. Result: swing. Batter may not have expected it, but knows what it looks like, and is now adjusted to the speed.

3. Pitch number three: slider. Result: home run. Batter may not have expected it, but KNEW what it look like, has ADJUSTED, and just crushed it.

Dumb move by Ramon. Dumb move by George.

Get 'em next time fellas, but this is absolutely terrible 2 games in a row. Bench Ramon for having his head in his butt.

I'm not so worried about his arm, as about his confidence. He looked sharp both last night and tonight but for those two hangers.

I don't think anyone in this thread is excusing Sherrill for throwing a pitch that bad. Clearly, he is culpable. People are discussing other aspects of the play and for good reason IMO. I gave two other examples tonight of Ramon calling pretty poor pitches. It does make a difference what the catcher calls initially. I don't know how to argue this point effectively, but I have no doubt it does make a difference.

Ok great...Not disagreeing with you.

Bottom line is Sherrill has to locate that pitch better and he didn't.

I love his fire and his passion but I can only imagine the look on the fans faces when a bucket of chewed up gum suddenly appeared on the field, LOL :laughlol:

Imagine going to the ballgame, sitting in phenomenal seats, and then for the topper, coming home with George Sherrill's glove.

The loss sucks, but as silver linings go, that one would be way up there.

Utterly idiotic pitch selection and placement by Ramon Hernandez. As soon as I saw him go down and in I was like, "No way!"

Sherrill throws two sliders down and in and had guys swinging through high fastballs all day. Olivio is a pull hitter. A Single-A moron catcher knows to call the fastball away after the first two pitches.

Yes, George Sherrill shares the blame for not being smart enough to shake off a ridiculous pitch selection. But I repeat, this is the exact reason why a lot of pitchers don't like being caught by Ramon. His stupid pitch selections are part of his legacy and this one just blew the second straight game.

Demper just agreed with you, Tony.

Yeah, that'd be pretty swell. I'd play softball with it tomorrow, and beg for someone to borrow it.

"Hey, dood, can I borrow your glove."

"Well, yeah. But it's not MY glove. It's George SHERRILL'S glove."

This is his MO lately for some reason. He makes some sort of smart aleck baiting initial post and then gets pissy when the person comes back at him with any force at all. I'm not sure why the smart alecky post to start the situation is not a causal force in his eyes to the violent reaction, but it is for some reason. Frobby made his point and NOBODY got upset with him. Why? Because he didn't bait people. This poster did what he did for a reason and he got the reaction he wanted. He just got it from a different guy. Oops...

Look who's making it personal. Right. Frobby said basically the same thing I did but nobody said one thing to him. No problem. I'll take the heat. It's not like I'm a mushy mister sensitive like some people.

Sherrill didn't execute, plain and simple.

Was it poor pitch selection? Could be. I'd be willing to bet that Ramon doesn't have confidence in Sherrill's fastball. He doesn't seem to have the best command of that pitch and it's not overpowering....Ramon probably doesn't like the feel of it in his glove.

Oh well, if we're going to bash Ramon for the pitch selection then we should at least give him credit for the pitch out he called. I thought that was a great call....and it worked.

Nice Tony. Good example. Way to argue a point. :rolleyes:

Ok. You and VaTech are the only two guys who know anything. Case closed.

BTW, even though I find your post pretty rude and condescending, I'll respond anyway. There is no ONE set of rule of setting up hitters. There are a couple of trains of thought here. One, is that you've made the guy look silly on two straight breaking pitches and now he's looking for it, so you throw him a fastball and either tie him up or maybe catch him looking. The other is that he's looking for the breaking pitch so you just throw him one a little farther out of the strike zone and he'll definitely go fishing for it. Frobby mentioned the second train. I think you can certainly make the case for that pitch and Sherill just missed location. Of course, you've made this a black and white issue. It's either your way or the wrong way.

It was meant to be condescending. That's what you deserve after your note that made it sound like we would have been complaining if Sherrill threw another pitch with the same result despite the fact that we explained EXACTLY why we thought it was a terrible call.

You want to disagree that's fine, but don't sit here and act like I'm upset because you disagree. I was condescending because you tried to make it look like we were being reactionary, and that's not the case.

Dempsey just said the same thing VATech and I said. Say what you want about Dempsey but he knows a little bit about calling games.

Edited by Tony-OH

Sherrill didn't execute, plain and simple.

Was it poor pitch selection? Could be. I'd be willing to bet that Ramon doesn't have confidence in Sherrill's fastball. He doesn't seem to have the best command of that pitch and it's not overpowering....Ramon probably doesn't like the feel of it in his glove.

Oh well, if we're going to bash Ramon for the pitch selection then we should at least give him credit for the pitch out he called. I thought that was a great call....and it worked.

I am pretty sure pitchouts comes from the dugout.