OsandBohs11

George...COME ON

BTW, the posts calling for Sherrill to be replaced as closer because he's "really a setup guy impersonating a closer" are just too funny. Who said this thread wasn't reactionary?

Come on Moose. Nobody is excusing Sherrill's role in that pitch. Tony went out of his way to say Sherrill was ultimately culpable. So did I. Is there only allowed to be one thing discussed in every play? Do we have to say "it was a crappy pitch" and stop talking? Can't we discuss another more systemic issue that we perceive? What does it have to get made into us "excusing" the favorite player and "attacking" Ramon Hernandez? Does this seem like my MO?

Taking things personal again. Can't Moose just express his opinion? What happens if the pitch is throw where it was supposed to be thrown?

Yikes. We need a group hug. I can't imagine what this board is like on losses when we are a 90 win team.

BTW, the posts calling for Sherrill to be replaced as closer because he's "really a setup guy impersonating a closer" are just too funny. Who said this thread wasn't reactionary?

I've stated logical reasons why I think this and you continue to ignore them and not respond with logic of your own.

For the record, I wouldn't be upset in the least if Sherrill remains closer. I dont' think it's a no brainer by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a thought. And I think it's a thought with merit.

One thing that I don't like is Sherrill's GB:FB ratio relative to Johnson's.

I was telling you yesterday that Sherrill has the worst ERA among the top 8 in saves, and the second most walks.

So I hate to break it to you chief of all mankind, but I don't think i'm being 100% reactionary. OTOH, I am reacting to the stats. Is that okay?

Johnson's stuff is shutdown nasty. He could close . Period. No one would dispute that. The question now becomes, "Will Sherrill view it as a demotion or a logical choice?"
They could go to a closer by committee (of two) so it wouldn't have to be viewed as a demotion.

Palmer shook EVERYONE off. That's not a fair comp, Rick.

Aww, I'm just having fun, not making a comp. But I find it funny when the color guys act as though they never did anything stupid.

How about if you pipe down? I asked Moose a question. I didn't take anything anyway. I know you're upset because you just made a fool of yourself, but don't compound the situation.

Pipe down? Type more softly? Wow! Pretty soon you'll have me 10 to 1 on name calling. Nice work.

They could go to a closer by committee (of two) so it wouldn't have to be viewed as a demotion.

If they believe Johnson is the future closer then I think AM will trade Sherrill to the best offer.

This is actually not a bad thought.

What do people think about Johnson's "closer" mentality that everyone talks about? This would be my only question about his ability to perform in that role.

The other valid concern against switching roles is the inability to replace Johnson in the setup role.

Hernandez has steered Sherrill through a lot of shaky 9th innings this year and I'm willing to bet that he hasn't gotten a lick of credit on here for it. Yet when Sherrill blows two in a row, all of a sudden he's being held out to dry.

Maybe it's part of it, but the past two games have had two fat, fat pitches by Sherrill and there's no denying it.

That's how I see it. I'm not saying Hernandez made a good call, but no question Sherrill didn't come close to executing the pitch.

I've stated logical reasons why I think this and you continue to ignore them and not respond with logic of your own.

For the record, I wouldn't be upset in the least if Sherrill remains closer. I dont' think it's a no brainer by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a thought. And I think it's a thought with merit.

One thing that I don't like is Sherrill's GB:FB ratio relative to Johnson's.

I was telling you yesterday that Sherrill has the worst ERA among the top 8 in saves, and the second most walks.

So I hate to break it to you chief of all mankind, but I don't think i'm being 100% reactionary. OTOH, I am reacting to the stats. Is that okay?

Besides the fact that Sherrill has done an excellent job as the closer, just think of the way the whole team would take his demotion as closer. Not that Trembley would even entertain the idea at this point. Sherrill would have to suck for a lot longer than two games for the idea to be even considered.

Chief of all mankind? Wow. From idiot, to unintelligent, to fool, to chief of all mankind all in one thread. I'm moving up.

One thing that I really like about George Sherril is that he got really pissed off after giving up the run. To me at least it shows he gives a crap about that fact that he cost us the game. Look down the list of people from last year, or a Steve Trachsel who would say they pitched well or were happy with their performance. Sherril meanwhile is throwing gloves and gum everywhere. I like it.

Besides the fact that Sherrill has done an excellent job as the closer, just think of the way the whole team would take his demotion as closer. Not that Trembley would even entertain the idea at this point. Sherrill would have to suck for a lot longer than two games for the idea to be even considered.

Chief of all mankind? Wow. From idiot, to unintelligent, to fool, to chief of all mankind all in one thread. I'm moving up.

What can I say, i'm feeling generous. ;)

These are some valid concerns, but I don't think that a closer blowing saves is the only indicator showing someone sucks. There have been signs all year that Sherrill will struggle at times due to his tendencies to give up fly balls and walk folks.

I think the "save" stat is being overvalued a bit and serving as blinders to a degree. I don't think Sherrill sucks by any stretch, but I don't think he's as great as everyone thinks he is in that role.

It's like people thinking Bruce Chen was going to be a fixture for the O's after he won 13 games for us in 2005.

What can I say, i'm feeling generous. ;)

These are some valid concerns, but I don't think that a closer blowing saves is the only indicator showing someone sucks. There have been signs all year that Sherrill will struggle at times due to his tendencies to give up fly balls and walk folks.

I think the "save" stat is being overvalued a bit and serving as blinders to a degree. I don't think Sherrill sucks by any stretch, but I don't think he's as great as everyone thinks he is in that role.

It's like people thinking Bruce Chen was going to be a fixture for the O's after he won 13 games for us in 2005.

Now the question is, is James Johnson as great as everyone seems to think he is?