weams

2018 Orioles Draft Tracker

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

If they don’t sign Knight they lose the value of his slot, so no, they can’t use it elsewhere.

You can only use savings from any underslot in the top ten rounds to go overslot. There is also a 5% overage that is allowable without severe penalty (75% tax on overage).

Here is an article about it in case I wasn’t as clear as I’d hope to be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/269930084-2018-mlb-draft-bonus-pools-pick-values.amp.html

Thanks for the info, Luke!  

Looks like we won't have much leftover money to sign overslots after round 10.  Sounds like Knight is very disappointed where he was drafted, so I'm guessing he'll want overslot money.  I don't think he has much leverage, but the O's typically are not tough negotiators with their high draft picks.  I imagine we'll have a tough time signing Killian.

1 minute ago, Otter said:

Looks like we won't have much leftover money to sign overslots after round 10.  Sounds like Knight is very disappointed where he was drafted, so I'm guessing he'll want overslot money.  I don't think he has much leverage, but the O's typically are not tough negotiators with their high draft picks.  I imagine we'll have a tough time signing Killian.

I think they will save enough on Grenier to get Knight signed.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

If they don’t sign Knight they lose the value of his slot, so no, they can’t use it elsewhere.

You can only use savings from any underslot in the top ten rounds to go overslot. There is also a 5% overage that is allowable without severe penalty (75% tax on overage).

Here is an article about it in case I wasn’t as clear as I’d hope to be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/269930084-2018-mlb-draft-bonus-pools-pick-values.amp.html

I think it is easier to think of teams having a pool of $ to spend based on their picks in the first 10 rounds of the draft. 

Teams can go overslot or underslot on individual players in the first 10 rounds as long as those players are signed. 

If players drafted in the first 10 rounds are not signed, the team's pools is reduced by the assigned bonus slot $ for that pick.

Any bonus of a player taken after the 10th round over $125k counts toward the team's pool spending.

Teams can go over their draft pool but must pay a 75% tax on any overage between 100.1% and 105% of the allotted pool.  Penalties become much steeper if a team spends over their draft pool by 5% including loss of future draft picks.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they will save enough on Grenier to get Knight signed.

I agree, but I think Knight sucks up most of the pool savings.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm OK with Rom and Knight being the only two overslots.

I would have preferred more.  With pitching prospects (and especially in the O's organization), the more quantity the better chance one makes it.  

Just now, Otter said:

I would have preferred more.  With pitching prospects (and especially in the O's organization), the more quantity the better chance one makes it.  

I'd have preferred if they had kept the second round pick, they could have picked Grenier there and drafted a pitching prospect with the comp pick.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd have preferred if they had kept the second round pick, they could have picked Grenier there and drafted a pitching prospect with the comp pick.

I'd have preferred they kept all 7 draft picks Dan has given up for mediocre veterans and organizational filler!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2018 at 2:56 PM, Otter said:

I agree, but I think Knight sucks up most of the pool savings.

All of it I would assume. 

On 6/19/2018 at 3:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

This.