Sign in to follow this  
doccat

Minor League Disappointments

As upsetting as it has been to attempt to follow the major league team this season, I'm not finding much solace following the minors.    While there have been a few bright spots (McKenna, Mullins) there have been some surprising disappointments.    Austin Hays was doing nothing and then got hurt.    Then there have been the pitching flops:  Cody Sedlock was getting clobbered and then got hurt (again).    DL Hall and Hunter Harvey haven't exactly been blowing hitters away.   Yes, we are all happy Harvey seems healthy, but we also need him to pitch well.   Some guys once considered prospects have simply vanished (Jomar Reyes).    

I was hoping for better from some of these guys.   I know every year is going to have its share of pleasant suprises and unpleasant failures, but with the Big League Team looking like a lock for the # overall draft pick next season, I was hoping to see more from the farm this year....

I feel the MiL season has been break-even.     There have been both pleasant surprises and disappointments.    My personal opinion is that Hays has been playing hurt.    I’m a bit disappointed with Harvey but not totally surprised considering the jump he’s making.    Hall hasn’t disappointed me at all, in fact I’m very pleased with how he’s done.    Sedlock, yes, is a total bummer.    

At the same time, Mullins, McKenna, Akin, Baumann, Lowther and others are exceeding expectations.   Guys like Stewart and Wells are holding their own.   

And Hess is in the frigging majors.  

• Upvote 4

DL Hall is 19 years old, getting stretched out in full season A ball. What were your expectations for him?

Harvey has already pitched as many innings this season as he did in '15 thru '17 combined.

Sure, there have a been a few disappointments, but there always will be.  But I think overall things have gone pretty well in the minors.  The only glaring exception to me is Hays.  Sedlock honestly I had very low expectations for coming into this season, he isn't right.

DL Hall is way too early to make any judgment call on.  His control clearly needs a little bit of work, but he is young for the level he is at.   Hays and Sedlock, now those are huge disappointments so far. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Reyes hasn’t been the same since getting his hamate bone broke on a HBP. Peralta and Cosme are disappointing. 

Was that before or after he broke it punching a wall last year?

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Alex Wells has struggled a bit, but it seems like he's hanging in there.

Color me worried.     His walks are way up.   I can’t tell if that’s because his command isn’t as good, or because his offspeed stuff out of the zone that fooled Sally League hitters isn’t fooling Carolina League hitters.    He’s not having an awful season (3.99 ERA), but I had expected better.    He pitched better in the 2nd half last year, so hopefully that will be true this season as well.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Color me worried.     His walks are way up.   I can’t tell if that’s because his command isn’t as good, or because his offspeed stuff out of the zone that fooled Sally League hitters isn’t fooling Carolina League hitters.    He’s not having an awful season (3.99 ERA), but I had expected better.    He pitched better in the 2nd half last year, so hopefully that will be true this season as well.

In the games I’ve watched (3 starts), two of them he didn’t have fastball command. He still tried really hard to establish it, which I think is a good thing.

It’s always a red flag to me when guys in college or the low minors have to pitch backwards already. Sedlock was doing it earlier this year, Bishop does it.  If they hide their FB at that level, it’ll like be useless in upper levels or MLB.

• Thanks 1