Frobby

GCL Oriole Notes 2018

GCL play opened today and a few of our 2018 draftees got their feet wet.  

Leading off and playing CF, 34th rounder and senior sign Trey Truitt went 2 for 5 with a double, a run scored and an RBI.

26th rounder Ian Evans played 1B and went 2 for 4 with two doubles, a run and an RBI.

33rd rounder Zach McLeod played 2B and went 2 for 4 with a double and two runs scored.

9th rounder LHP Kevin Magee came in the the bases loaded and one out in the 5th inning, and allowed all three runs to score on a 2-run single and a sac fly, then got a ground out to end the inning.

10th rounder Dallas Litscher pitched a perfect inning, striking out two.

30th rounder Tyler Joiner pitched two innings, allowing 4 hits and one run, with no walks or strikeouts  

Other notables: Leonard Rodriguez started and got knocked around for 6 ER in 4.1 IP.    As noted, he left with the bases loaded and one out and all three runs scored.

Jacob Brown and Carlos Baez are repeating the GCL, and Irving Ortega has been demoted there after splitting time between Aberdeen and Delmarva last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Leonardo Rodriguez had some buzz about him this spring.  I expected that he would be in Delmarva's rotation.  He did not even make Aberdeen's roster and was not successful in his GCL debut.

Edited by POR

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is the O's first round pick Grayson going to pitch in the GCL?  

Eventually.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Noticed Lamar Sparks is on the 60 day DL. Anyone know why?

I haven’t heard anything but that explains why he hasn’t played, hopefully it’s nothing too serious.

On 6/19/2018 at 1:04 AM, Luke-OH said:

Eventually.

Cool - do you think Llenas, (Glavine), Rom (Avery) and GrayRod (Smoltz) will start their trek together?

On 6/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, Frobby said:

GCL play opened today and a few of our 2018 draftees got their feet wet.  

Leading off and playing CF, 34th rounder and senior sign Trey Truitt went 2 for 5 with a double, a run scored and an RBI.

26th rounder Ian Evans played 1B and went 2 for 4 with two doubles, a run and an RBI.

33rd rounder Zach McLeod played 2B and went 2 for 4 with a double and two runs scored.

9th rounder LHP Kevin Magee came in the the bases loaded and one out in the 5th inning, and allowed all three runs to score on a 2-run single and a sac fly, then got a ground out to end the inning.

10th rounder Dallas Litscher pitched a perfect inning, striking out two.

30th rounder Tyler Joiner pitched two innings, allowing 4 hits and one run, with no walks or strikeouts  

Other notables: Leonard Rodriguez started and got knocked around for 6 ER in 4.1 IP.    As noted, he left with the bases loaded and one out and all three runs scored.

Jacob Brown and Carlos Baez are repeating the GCL, and Irving Ortega has been demoted there after splitting time between Aberdeen and Delmarva last year.

I thought Irving Ortega was a real comer??? Steve Melewski kept writing last year how great he was.  He also said that Chris Davis was a gold glove caliber defensive player.  I say this all tongue firmly planted in cheek as the more I’ve read from him lately, the more I believe that he is passing on what the FO tells him to write.  

48 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

I thought Irving Ortega was a real comer??? Steve Melewski kept writing last year how great he was.  He also said that Chris Davis was a gold glove caliber defensive player.  I say this all tongue firmly planted in cheek as the more I’ve read from him lately, the more I believe that he is passing on what the FO tells him to write.  

Ortega does have a good glove, but it looks like the bat is going to get knocked out of his hands at times.

Melewski is just passing on things he’s heard/been told, he isn’t and has never been an evaluator by any stretch.

1 hour ago, Punchandjudy said:

45 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Ortega does have a good glove, but it looks like the bat is going to get knocked out of his hands at times.

Melewski is just passing on things he’s heard/been told, he isn’t and has never been an evaluator by any stretch.

I don’t see that Melewski wrote anything much on Ortega last year.   I see some stuff from late 2015, but that’s when Ortega was in the DSL so I’m sure Melewski hadn’t seen him.   

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see that Melewski wrote anything much on Ortega last year.   I see some stuff from late 2015, but that’s when Ortega was in the DSL so I’m sure Melewski hadn’t seen him.   

I didn’t check to see but the point about what Melewski is stands, he does a good job (at an extremely hard and thankless job) when he sticks to reporting, doing interviews, etc. Less so when he tries to analyze or editorialize (same goes for Roch on both parts).

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I didn’t check to see but the point about what Melewski is stands, he does a good job (at an extremely hard and thankless job) when he sticks to reporting, doing interviews, etc. Less so when he tries to analyze or editorialize (same goes for Roch on both parts).

My point exactly.  To me, he often comes off as passing on objective analysis of players (or even evaluation); but I’ve become very skeptical that his minor league info is just regurgitated information from the Orioles FO.

as it pertains to the DCL, I’m very disappointed to see the ages of these players.  Then again why am I surprised given team’s stance on the international market.  If the O’s didn’t waste money on Tillman, Rasmus, and Alvarez could you imagine why that $7-8 million would do for the international scouting and development? 

30 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

My point exactly.  To me, he often comes off as passing on objective analysis of players (or even evaluation); but I’ve become very skeptical that his minor league info is just regurgitated information from the Orioles FO.

as it pertains to the DCL, I’m very disappointed to see the ages of these players.  Then again why am I surprised given team’s stance on the international market.  If the O’s didn’t waste money on Tillman, Rasmus, and Alvarez could you imagine why that $7-8 million would do for the international scouting and development? 

Unfortunately for the Orioles any money saved towards the 25 man roster would mean nothing to the international spending. They just do not spend heavily on the international market. This will not change until new ownership (ie out of the Angelos family).

7 minutes ago, jcarm said:

Unfortunately for the Orioles any money saved towards the 25 man roster would mean nothing to the international spending. They just do not spend heavily on the international market. This will not change until new ownership (ie out of the Angelos family).

I haven't seen anything about how the sons feel about the issue.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I haven't seen anything about how the sons feel about the issue.

If they retain ownership, we can only hope they have a different mindset. I am not counting on it.