Frobby

GCL Oriole Notes 2018

Just now, jcarm said:

If they retain ownership, we can only hope they have a different mindset. I am not counting on it.

I don't think anyone is.

I just don't want to judge them by their father's actions.

17 hours ago, jcarm said:

Unfortunately for the Orioles any money saved towards the 25 man roster would mean nothing to the international spending. They just do not spend heavily on the international market. This will not change until new ownership (ie out of the Angelos family).

Oh I know...they could have lit the money on fire and it would have given the team more benefit than spending it on those clowns.  I was also saying that it’s a shame the Dominican team is full of 20 somethings that are old for that league.

18 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

as it pertains to the DCL, I’m very disappointed to see the ages of these players.  Then again why am I surprised given team’s stance on the international market.  If the O’s didn’t waste money on Tillman, Rasmus, and Alvarez could you imagine why that $7-8 million would do for the international scouting and development? 

I follow the minor leagues very closely - look at the box scores pretty much every night and read as much info on here as I can from the likes of Tony, Luke, Joey and others - and I don't even bother looking at the DSL team.  

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone is.

I just don't want to judge them by their father's actions.

Are you sure you’re done judging the father’s actions?

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I follow the minor leagues very closely - look at the box scores pretty much every night and read as much info on here as I can from the likes of Tony, Luke, Joey and others - and I don't even bother looking at the DSL team.  

I usually check it out once a month or so.   But I don’t know why. 

Here’s how the third inning went for the GCL O’s pitchers today:

Ground out 

Hit by pitch

Walk

Hit by pitch

Error

Walk

Fielders’ choice, runner scores

Hit by pitch

Strike out   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s how the third inning went for the GCL O’s pitchers today:

Ground out 

Hit by pitch

Walk

Hit by pitch

Error

Walk

Fielders’ choice, runner scores

Hit by pitch

Strike out   

No hitter!! LOL

• Upvote 1

This is a really feeble offensive team.    So far, through 19 games they’re last in an 18-team league in runs/game (3.32, 0.26 below the 17th place team) and in OPS (.551,  .055 below the 17th place team).   This, in a league where three major league teams (Yankees, Tigers, Phillies) are stocking two separate affiliates.   Only two GCL O’s are carrying an OPS over .700 — Zach McLeod (2018 33rd round pick, 22 years old, .785) and Ian Evans (2018 26th round pick, 21 years old, .744).   

The pitching staff is more interesting, though slightly below middle of the pack at a 4.74 ERA.  It includes several guys drafted out of high school including Grayson Rodriguez (1st round, 1 IP, 0.00 ERA), Drew Rom (4th round, 11.0 IP, 2.45 ERA),  Yeancarlos Lleras (6th round, 6.2 IP, 4.05 ERA), Cody Hacker (15th round, 6.1 IP, 8.53 ERA) and Jake Zebron (18th round, 11.1 IP, 3.97 ERA).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is a really feeble offensive team.    So far, through 19 games they’re last in an 18-team league in runs/game (3.32, 0.26 below the 17th place team) and in OPS (.551,  .055 below the 17th place team).   This, in a league where three major league teams (Yankees, Tigers, Phillies) are stocking two separate affiliates.   Only two GCL O’s are carrying an OPS over .700 — Zach McLeod (2018 33rd round pick, 22 years old, .785) and Ian Evans (2018 26th round pick, 21 years old, .744).   

The pitching staff is more interesting, though slightly below middle of the pack at a 4.74 ERA.  It includes several guys drafted out of high school including Grayson Rodriguez (1st round, 1 IP, 0.00 ERA), Drew Rom (4th round, 11.0 IP, 2.45 ERA),  Yeancarlos Lleras (6th round, 6.2 IP, 4.05 ERA), Cody Hacker (15th round, 6.1 IP, 8.53 ERA) and Jake Zebron (18th round, 11.1 IP, 3.97 ERA).

Not surprising after the Orioles drafted just two hitters (both college) in their first ten rounds and have no real Dominican feeder system worth anything. Their first high school hitter was taken in the 19th round (Andrew Jayne). High school hitters taken in the 19th round are obviously guys a team is taking a flyer on vs a real prospect.

The Orioles seemed to have punted hitters for the most part in this past draft and with their aversion to the international market, you have to imagine their DSL and GCL teams will be waste lands for offensive prospects.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not surprising after the Orioles drafted just two hitters (both college) in their first ten rounds and have no real Dominican feeder system worth anything. Their first high school hitter was taken in the 19th round (Andrew Jayne). High school hitters taken in the 19th round are obviously guys a team is taking a flyer on vs a real prospect.

The Orioles seemed to have punted hitters for the most part in this past draft and with their aversion to the international market, you have to imagine their DSL and GCL teams will be waste lands for offensive prospects.

I agree with your diagnosis, and will add that I hate this approach of tilting the draft so heavily towards pitchers.    They’ve essentially done this three years in a row.   As you point out, with no foreign pipeline, that’s going to leave us woefully short of position players.   Fortunately, they’ve done pretty well in drafting hitters in recent years (Stewart, Mountcastle, Mullins, Hays, McKenna).

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with your diagnosis, and will add that I hate this approach of tilting the draft so heavily towards pitchers.    They’ve essentially done this three years in a row.   As you point out, with no foreign pipeline, that’s going to leave us woefully short of position players.   Fortunately, they’ve done pretty well in drafting hitters in recent years (Stewart, Mountcastle, Mullins, Hays, McKenna).

Hitters, especially high school hitters are so hard to scout vs pitchers. Pitchers it's fairly easy to see the stuff, command, build, athleticism and to get an understanding of what you have. Hitters are tough because BP is only worth so much and the fact that you can't test out or know how players will be able to hit upper velocity combined with major league offspeed stuff until they get into the majors is a big part of the problem. 

One thought on this is to draft and develop the arms and then trade them for hitters at the AA/AAA level since by that point you can get a decent (though not definitive) read. Without knowing what was available, I can't really say whether I like the Orioles approach the last few years or not, but I do know that I'd stay away from high school hitters for the most part unless they were one of those extreme talents (like Manny).  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hitters, especially high school hitters are so hard to scout vs pitchers. Pitchers it's fairly easy to see the stuff, command, build, athleticism and to get an understanding of what you have. Hitters are tough because BP is only worth so much and the fact that you can't test out or know how players will be able to hit upper velocity combined with major league offspeed stuff until they get into the majors is a big part of the problem. 

One thought on this is to draft and develop the arms and then trade them for hitters at the AA/AAA level since by that point you can get a decent (though not definitive) read. Without knowing what was available, I can't really say whether I like the Orioles approach the last few years or not, but I do know that I'd stay away from high school hitters for the most part unless they were one of those extreme talents (like Manny).  

Interesting explanation of the dilemma.     At least the O’s seem to have hit on a couple in Mountcastle and hopefully McKenna.   

On 7/11/2018 at 12:35 PM, Tony-OH said:

The only hitters that we spent a top draft pick on out of HS in the past decade have been Manny, McKenna and Mountcastle. This trend makes sense, as college hitters are more polished and you get a sense of what they'll do moreso than HS hitters who need time to develop unless the upside is that high.