Frobby

GCL Oriole Notes 2018

4 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It took him forever, and he’s doing moderately well in Chicago. More power or him I guess

Well, he turned 26 yesterday. Made his debut last year at 25. Circuitous route, but so be it. Been banged up this year. Not a star, but he plays regularly. In 2017, 1.2 WAR in 257 at bats as a rookie is not too shabby. You said he bombed, but bombing would be Hart, Narron and Heinrich. Hart was the most glaring miss. Marin comes to mind as well.

Ohlman won a minor league batting title and made it to the majors, hardly a failure. Sawyer, meh, AAA is not bombing for the value of his pick. The rest are too early to say yet. Underwhelming is certainly fair. 

The criticism is fair, but I believe they are coming around as a development system. The recent drafts seem to be better as Rajsich has gotten his scouts in place. 

The GCL O’s got one-hit today, but managed to score three runs in a 4-3 loss.    Sixth rounder Yeancarlo Lleras had a good outing, three shutout innings allowing 1 hit and 1 walk with 1 strikeout.   Lleras, who doesn’t turn 18 until next week, bears watching IMO.

Jake Zebron has faced 58 GCL batters, he's only walked 1.  He's pretty interesting as a late round guy. He has deception in his delivery, he's projectable, and he has a good arm (t94).

• Upvote 3

Some notes on a few pitchers:

1.    2018 4th rounder Drew Rom, age 18, threw 3 scoreless innings today and lowered his ERA to 2.25.

2.   2018 18th rounder Jake Zebron, 18, also threw 3 scoreless innings and lowered his ERA to 3.12.

3.   Moises Nolasco, 21, promoted from the DSL last month, pitched two scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 2.45.    

Nolasco is a little long in the tooth for the GCL, but still interests me as a guy who made it out of the DSL.    He used to be in the Phillies’ organization but they released him last year despite having a 2.45 ERA in the DSL.   He had a couple of dominant outings for our DSL team (1 ER, 14 K’s in 9 IP) to begin this year and was promoted to the GCL.    He’s listed as 6’4” and only 170 pounds, so maybe he’s a guy who could develop if he gets on a proper diet.   

• Upvote 1

This team really stinks.    Second oldest offensive team in the league (20.6 compared to league average 19.7) and yet they are last in the GCL in runs/game and OPS. Pitching is older than average too, though not by as much (20.7 compared to average 20.4).   The team has an 11-30 record after today’s game.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This team really stinks.    Second oldest offensive team in the league (20.6 compared to league average 19.7) and yet they are last in the GCL in runs/game and OPS. Pitching is older than average too, though not by as much (20.7 compared to average 20.4).   The team has an 11-30 record after today’s game.    

Hopefully, we will start to see a change within a couple of years given the philosophical shift the front office is preaching about with regard to developing young international FA talent.

Having said that, even most of our HS draftees seem to generally underwhelm in the GCL.  Particularly the bats.  This year's crop of HS pitchers have done well which is a nice, pleasant surprise.

6 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Hopefully, we will start to see a change within a couple of years given the philosophical shift the front office is preaching about with regard to developing young international FA talent.

Having said that, even most of our HS draftees seem to generally underwhelm in the GCL.  Particularly the bats.  This year's crop of HS pitchers have done well which is a nice, pleasant surprise.

The Orioles haven't pick many HS bats in the top 10 rounds in recent years and the ones they have picked have generally had strong GCL debuts.

In the last 6 drafts...

Mountcastle - 128 wRC+

Heinrich - 126 wRC+

Hall - was injured

McKenna - 114 wRC+

Ferguson - 90 wRC+

Curran - 97 wRC+

There are no HS bats in the Orioles 2018 draft who one would expect to produce a league average batting line in the GCL.

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The Orioles haven't pick many HS bats in the top 10 rounds in recent years and the ones they have picked have generally had strong GCL debuts.

In the last 6 drafts...

Mountcastle - 128 wRC+

Heinrich - 126 wRC+

Hall - was injured

McKenna - 114 wRC+

Ferguson - 90 wRC+

Curran - 97 wRC+

There are no HS bats in the Orioles 2018 draft who one would expect to produce a league average batting line in the GCL.

Isn't this also a landing point for a lot of international talent advancing from the DSL?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't this also a landing point for a lot of international talent advancing from the DSL?

Yes

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

In the last 6 drafts...

Mountcastle - 128 wRC+

Heinrich - 126 wRC+

Hall - was injured

McKenna - 114 wRC+

Ferguson - 90 wRC+

Curran - 97 wRC+

Sparks had a good debut too.  Sucks that he lost this season developmentally wise due to his injury.  Jacob Brown was pretty good last year too, but he's not doing nearly as well there now this year after repeating the league.

That is a pretty small list though overall.  That's probably why I made the comment.  Not a lot that stands out there.  Perhaps that's the norm within other organizations too, not sure.  I think it has to do with the fact that the O's draft and sign more HS pitchers volume wise than hitters so you don't notice the hitters as much.

There are some others HS draftees you didn't mention that we pretty bad in their GCL debuts.  Alexis Torres, Josh Hart, Branden Becker, Alejandro Juvier, Jonah Heim.

I forgot all about Heinrich.  Traded to AZ for Michael Bourn in Aug 2016.  Didn't play at all in 2017 except for some extended spring games with the O's after being released by the Dbacks in March 2017.  O's released him a few months later.  He's now in the Frontier League with a 552 OPS in limited duty as a 22 year old.  Judging by his twitter feed, super strong kid, but his swing has some major mechanical flaws.

3 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Sparks had a good debut too.  Sucks that he lost this season developmentally wise due to his injury.  Jacob Brown was pretty good last year too, but he's not doing nearly as well there now this year after repeating the league.

That is a pretty small list though overall.  That's probably why I made the comment.  Not a lot that stands out there.  Perhaps that's the norm within other organizations too, not sure.  I think it has to do with the fact that the O's draft and sign more HS pitchers volume wise than hitters so you don't notice the hitters as much.

There are some others HS draftees you didn't mention that we pretty bad in their GCL debuts.  Alexis Torres, Josh Hart, Branden Becker, Alejandro Juvier, Jonah Heim.

I forgot all about Heinrich.  Traded to AZ for Michael Bourn in Aug 2016.  Didn't play at all in 2017 except for some extended spring games with the O's after being released by the Dbacks in March 2017.  O's released him a few months later.  He's now in the Frontier League with a 552 OPS in limited duty as a 22 year old.  Judging by his twitter feed, super strong kid, but his swing has some major mechanical flaws.

I missed Sparks and Torres, the others you listed didn't meet the criteria I listed (last 6 drafts, top 10 rounds).

As you and COC mentioned, the weakness of the GCL team likely has plenty to do with lack of an international pipeline. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Heinrich was released by the Traverse City Beach Bums on May 28th. Haven't seen him sign anywhere else, unless it's on his Twitter.

• Upvote 1

Nice combined 3 hit shutout for 2018 draftees Drew Rom, Yeancarlos Lleras and Jake Zebron today.     Rom starter it out by allowing a hit and two walks in 3 IP, striking out two.    Lleras went 2.1 innings, allowing a hit and four walks, and left with the bases loaded.   Zebron came in, got a pop out and a ground out to escape that jam, and finished out the game, going 3.2 innings, allowing one hit, and striking out two.   

Lleras’ day was a bit of an adventure, as in addition to the hit and four walks, he hit a batter and another reached on an error.   He escaped a bases loaded one out jam in the fourth, and Zebron bailed him out of the same situation in the sixth.