Sign in to follow this  
Redskins Rick

Caps need new head coach

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/19/barry-trotz-exit-says-more-about-owner-coach/

Damn, this sucks so bad.

Look at the guy's credentials and what he has done for the past 4 seasons.

He is a top5 level coach and should be paid accordingly.

Ive had a lot of respect for the caps owner over the years, for hiring good people and willing to spend money on players.

Just didn't really work out until this year for the Stanly cup.

I'm not fully up on the situation but it does seem weird that the Caps would let him go. Maybe his failures in the playoffs until this season was a concern? No idea honestly, but there has to be more to the story.

This is a risky move by the Caps.  Trotz is a good coach who is well liked and respected by everyone. There is a lot of value in that stability beyond how many wins the team had (which by the way is probably number one in the league during Trotz' tenure).     Trotz' contract was one of the lowest in the league.  By winning the cup his contract automatically got extended for two more years at that low value.  He rightfully asked for a raise and some stability after not getting an extension last off season - a blunder by the Caps in my opinion.   They could have had him locked up for reasonable value last year. They chose the Flacco route.  

I don't know why DC teams just aren't willing to  shell out top dollar for good coaches.   Just like the Nats, the Caps have had a revolving door.  They seem really high on current Cap assistant Todd Reirden which is probably why they played hardball with Trotz.  It would be really depressing if they low ball Reirden and he balks.  Not sure how much leverage he has since he has one more year on his assistant contract.

Reirden may be a hot head coaching candidate,  but so was Adam Oates.   This is a huge risk by the Caps. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2018 at 8:57 AM, Tony-OH said:

I'm not fully up on the situation but it does seem weird that the Caps would let him go. Maybe his failures in the playoffs until this season was a concern? No idea honestly, but there has to be more to the story.

It just doesn't add up, of course, you are right, there has to be more to this story.

They have a good Hockey GM, and a very good owner, so its not a matter of a cheap owner, or a half-baked GM at the helm.

They are sure putting a ton of house money on Reirden taking over this team.

I am not sold on Ted  being a 'very' good owner.   No complaints  about his running of the Caps, although I'm not sure I would have fired George McPhee as GM.  McPhee's fingerprints are all over this Cap's roster and his guidance of the Vegas Golden Knights speaks volumes.  He made one bad trade in my opinion (Erat and some other guy for Forsberg who blew up once he got to Nashville).  The current GM seems a bit egotistical in some of his comments.  I was put off how they treated Trotz.  Meanwhile Ted's running of the Wizards has been nothing to boast about.  A change at GM has been needed for years. They continue to build  around  players not worthy of building  around.  As a result they have a mediocre , under achieving ,over paid roster.  

On 7/1/2018 at 7:43 PM, SouthRider said:

I am not sold on Ted  being a 'very' good owner.   No complaints  about his running of the Caps, although I'm not sure I would have fired George McPhee as GM.  McPhee's fingerprints are all over this Cap's roster and his guidance of the Vegas Golden Knights speaks volumes.  He made one bad trade in my opinion (Erat and some other guy for Forsberg who blew up once he got to Nashville).  The current GM seems a bit egotistical in some of his comments.  I was put off how they treated Trotz.  Meanwhile Ted's running of the Wizards has been nothing to boast about.  A change at GM has been needed for years. They continue to build  around  players not worthy of building  around.  As a result they have a mediocre , under achieving ,over paid roster.  

I wont disagree on you about the Wizzards/Bullets, they haven't been right since they won everything back in the mid 70s.

Good article here about McPhee and why it was time for him to go.

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/26/5655838/george-mcphee-capitals-fired-analysis

I like McPhee, but many around hockey believe the NHL stacked the deck for the Knights, how else can you explain an expansion team, first season, make it all the way to the cup?

Interesting article. The Caps certainly have made all the right moves since McPhee left.   Perhaps I should give the current GM his due. 

And you're right about the Knights. Let's see if McPhee can continue to build upon what they started out there in Vegas.