Sign in to follow this  
Elbren

Marvel's Phase 4 Movies

As I'm sure many of you already know, Stan Lee passed away on Monday.  😥  He was 95.  I haven't been into comics in almost 20 years, but the characters he helped create and the worlds he helped build have been w/ me in some shape or form for almost my entire life.  Comics, Saturday morning cartoons, games, books, a fully interconnected movie universe spanning over a decade ... I'll be 40 next year, yet these characters and stories are still finding new mediums and new ways to entertain me.  It's crazy how much of an impact someone can have on your life (and now my kids' lives) despite starting out as young writer using a pseudonym because he was too embarrassed to be associated w/ comics.

Stanley Lieber will definitely be missed.

18 hours ago, Elbren said:

Looks good, but I'm slightly surprised they would show this trailer prior to Avengers coming out.  I mean, we all KNOW the guys aren't really dead, but I'd still like to believe they are until I see how they're not.  This trailer jumped the shark. 

11 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Looks good, but I'm slightly surprised they would show this trailer prior to Avengers coming out.  I mean, we all KNOW the guys aren't really dead, but I'd still like to believe they are until I see how they're not.  This trailer jumped the shark. 

Gun Dip, Fonzie jumped the shark.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, Dipper9 said:

Apparently, this has been quite a struggle between Marvel Studios and Sony.  Marvel wanted to hold off for exactly this reason.  From the sound of it, Marvel had to shuffle films around because Sony insisted that this movie come out in 2019.  As for the trailer, it sounds like Sony has been pushing to put this out as soon as possible where as Marvel has been trying to get them to wait and not spoil anything from Avengers: Endgame.

Not sure why Sony has been so desperate to put out a trailer for something that isn't out until July.  It also feels odd that they'd drop it NOW, when the Super Bowl is only 2 weeks away.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:06 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Just not feeling this one.

Than again I've never cared much for the character.

This seems to be the sentiment of most people, including myself.  Without getting into Brie Larson and her ridiculous politics, she has done herself no favors.  It got so bad going into this week that Rotten Tomatoes literally changed how they score movies leading up to their release.  They used to have a "Fan Anticipation" meter where you could vote and show how many people "couldn't wait" to see said movie.  Captain Marvel's meter got so low (sub-30%) that it was removed entirely.  Now that it is showing user reviews, the film is sitting at 38% vs. the critics 79%, but even the critic scores are a bit misleading.  They're ranked as Fresh (positive) or Rotten (negative) but even some of the positive reviews are pretty questionable.

B-  A middling, good-enough episode ... The dynamic between Larson and Jackson is lively.  His review ends with, "Can’t we come up with something more exciting and fully formed?"

Its adherence to the tried-and-true conventions of a Phase One Marvel origin story, 10 years into an increasingly complex cinematic universe, might leave you neither overjoyed nor underwhelmed, but satisfied and wondering what's for dinner. - Her first paragraph is literally a laundry list of things she thought was wrong w/ the film.

3/5 - With each phase of Marvel movies growing in scope and complexity, it's unfathomable that Captain Marvel is a step backwards for the MCU.

These are supposed to be "positive." lol  Even worse, the user review score was actually LOWER earlier today, but R.T. removed about 50,000 user reviews.  

Kind of sad.  I've seen every MCU film since the 1st Iron Man, even films that I wasn't really sold on like Black Panther or Ant-Man.  This is likely the 1st MCU film that I won't be seeing in theaters.  

lol So, Rotten Tomatoes originally had almost 60,000 user reviews for Captain Marvel.  After the huge purge, it dropped to about 4,300 user reviews, but strangely, the review count jumped again to almost 17,000 (all positive) pushing the review score up to 49%.  People quickly noticed that, not only were all of the new "user" reviews positive, but they were the EXACT SAME COMMENT.  Word-for-word, the same two paragraph review was copy/pasted thousands of times.  It looks like R.T. had no other choice and had to purge all of the bot account/reviews overnight, with the review count once again dropping to below 11,000 and the score dropping back down to 34%. 😂

It's getting a little ridiculous the lengths movie studios will go to in order to push some narrative or lay blame.  

lmao In the hour since I posted this, the number of User Ratings jumped to 26,600.  16,000+ user reviews in an hour ... at 6-7am EST, pushing the user rating percentage from 34% to 52%. 🤣