Frobby

I’d forgotten how bad it sucks to have a lousy bullpen

Tanner Scott was victimized by Beckham's poor play today, but he just never seems to get the job done in key situations.  I get it that he has promise and that we need to be patient, but why is he being used in so many high leverage situations?  

Ironically the bullpen might be the only interesting thing to watch from here on in as the front office starts to shuttle in and out prospects -- and bullpen arms seems to be the only true area of organizational depth.

Watching Meissinger and Fry, along with Scott over the past couple of nights has been at least worthy of a glimpse. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Meaningless to the save stat.   The guy who is pitching in the 7th isn't getting a save. So when you are comparing saves to blown saves you are providing meaningless info. 

It is somewhat meaningless for an individual pitcher, for the reasons you say.   For the team, it is highly meaningful.   

5 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

I barely watch anymore as I mostly listen to Joe Angel call the game while I have another game on tv. The point I'm trying to make is I'm not discounting how bad the bullpen is but how much is a poor defense contributing to the pitcher's era's this season?

For example, look at this "double", just lousy backyard baseball type defense by Valencia. Instead of it being runners on first and second with 2 outs and holding a 2-1 lead - a run scores, there is still one out with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

https://www.mlb.com/video/pujols-game-tying-rbi-double/c-2215999783?tid=6479266

So I thought the same thing when I saw this play.  However apparently Statcast disagrees.  That ball is caught by a good outfielder but, at least according to Statcast, it was by no means a routine play; they assigned it a 74% hit probability.  Pujols smashed that ball.

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

So I thought the same thing when I saw this play.  However apparently Statcast disagrees.  That ball is caught by a good outfielder but, at least according to Statcast, it was by no means a routine play; they assigned it a 74% hit probability.  Pujols smashed that ball.

I watched the play after reading about it.  Seemed like a hard catch to make.  It isn't like the balls that Valencia misses at third base that are hit right at him.  Surprised there was this much uproar about it. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

I watched the play after reading about it.  Seemed like a hard catch to make.  It isn't like the balls that Valencia misses at third base that are hit right at him.  Surprised there was this much uproar about it. 

Probably because Buck, once again, took someone who wasn't an outfielder and shoved him into a CO spot and it cost the team.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably because Buck, once again, took someone who wasn't an outfielder and shoved him into a CO spot and it cost the team.

Yeah but Mancini misses balls a lot easier than that almost nightly.  

Well we drafted Josh Hader, Maryland boy too. Anyone seen how he's been doing for the Milwaukee Brewers? 😎

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah but Mancini misses balls a lot easier than that almost nightly.  

I was counting him as someone who isn't an outfielder.

12 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I didn’t watch was out on boat and saw score 2-0 in 7th.  Though doubt we hold it.  Got home off lake turned on tv saw score scroll acrossed and just laughed.  That is all you can do and say at this point I am at loss words wow bad this team is.

Being out on a boat must be nice. 

The O's have relievers and  a starter that deserve to move up in the system.  Luis Gonzalez and Branden Kline are both 26 year olds and do well.   Theyt need to be promoted from AA.  Akin also deserve a promotion.   I am not saying they need to be promoted to the majors but the promotion to AAA would help vet them to be ready to help in the majors.

Competition is a good thing and we should see some in the next few months.  Whether Britton and/or  Brach get traded or not.

13 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I wonder how much of our overall suckiness (including BP) has to do with our horrid defense. 

Thing about defense is: there's NO place for management to hide when it comes to evaluating their choices. 

You can realistically sign a guy who hit .300 and 35 homers last year... and he hits .250 and 15 homers this year and strikes out 8,000 times... and that's on the player. 

But defense? We SIGNED all these defensively mediocre/out-of-place players, ON PURPOSE. 

This was done knowingly. They assembled a ridiculous roster of DHs, reclamation projects, castoffs, one-dimensional players, injury-prone players... 

At this point, I'd say we have precisely ONE (maybe two, if you count Davis) plus defenders on this entire roster, not counting pitchers. That actually disgusts me. 

[EDIT: Just read over the thread... Didn't mean to repeat what so many other folks are saying... but I agree! Our defense sucks, and that is 100% inexcusable.]

Who is the plus defender?

According to fangraphs, outside of the catchers (even they admit catcher defensive metrics aren't great) they have 0. The O's also rate as the worst defense in MLB by over 10 runs

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's have relievers and  a starter that deserve to move up in the system.  Luis Gonzalez and Branden Kline are both 26 year olds and do well.   Theyt need to be promoted from AA.  Akin also deserve a promotion.   I am not saying they need to be promoted to the majors but the promotion to AAA would help vet them to be ready to help in the majors.

Competition is a good thing and we should see some in the next few months.  Whether Britton and/or  Brach get traded or not.

Hold on now, we don't want any younger players any closer to the major league roster then they need to be. 

That might inspire hope

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I mentioned above, Statcast doesn’t think an average RF makes that play.  I’m not doubting that maybe Valencia is out of his element, but that was apparently a pretty hard play even for a decent outfielder.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, Babypowder said:

Who is the plus defender?

According to fangraphs, outside of the catchers (even they admit catcher defensive metrics aren't great) they have 0. The O's also rate as the worst defense in MLB by over 10 runs

Oh wow. That's very terrible and sad. Manny is a plus defender, of course... I'm not sure he's elite at short. But he's an HOF-quality third baseman, defensively. But point well taken.