Sign in to follow this  
Greg Pappas

Angelos Has Sold the O's to You. What's Your Plan?

Just now, Luke-OH said:

This would be a great idea, but teams have tried to grade scouts for a while now and no one has really got it figured out, so identifying the top scouts may be difficult. 

I figured that might be the case but I would be shotgunning cash at internal organization pieces.  I'd probably just have more scouts than any team.

Oh, and I'd hire you.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Luke-OH said:

This would be a great idea, but teams have tried to grade scouts for a while now and no one has really got it figured out, so identifying the top scouts may be difficult

I think we  had some of those guys. But it turned out that they were golfing a lot. 

• Upvote 1

All upper reserve tickets would be $10 every weekday and Friday for students except special days like Opening Day and big giveaways.  Empty seats = no revenue.  I would continue the free tickets for kids promotion.  I would have about a dozen games a year on "free" TV.  The purpose is not the minimal revenue it brings in, but developing future fans.  Streaming O's game would be available for a small fee, maybe $10/month during the season.

51 minutes ago, weams said:

Jon doesn't like Baltimore. Don;t know that he ever did. 

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's a California boy.  Grew up a Giants fan.

He's staying put until he retires.

I didn’t say hire him back. He’s the favorite  voice of my Orioles youth. Just want to give him a shout out. Just like my shout out to Cito!

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

Totally understandable. I personally believe DD has been forced to do some of the stupid hings he has done as a compromise given the insane limitations. Remove the shackles and I think you see more shrewd moves. 

Larry Luchino fired him too, in a hurry...and there weren’t any shackles of bad ownership there.  I think Duquette has gotten way too much of a pass because of the ogre owner theory.  Anything that goes right, he gets the credit, anything that goes wrong is that dumb Angelos fault.   

Nope, 2 last place seasons in a row along with possibly the worst season in MLB history is reason enough.  Plus I don’t trust Dan (see footsie with Toronto)...nope, I am canning him as fast as Lucchino did. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/01/sports/baseball-new-owners-of-red-sox-quickly-fire-duquette.html

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Any of these would be good....this is from a Mets site looking at possible new GMs....I would make Doug Harris an offer he couldn’t refuse...lol

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/kim-ng-jj-piccolo-among-five-executives-on-rise-mets-should-consider-as-gm/283449874

I would assemble an all female front office....partly just for the novelty value.....but mostly because I assume I could get exceptional people without competition. Not only are women non existent in baseball, they get systematically undervalued in all the other potentially competing professions like statistics, computer science, infomatics, business administration, marketing, sports medicine. Hire Ng to talk with the good 'ol boys and be the lady with "cred", then put an open call out for women.

4 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I would assemble an all female front office....partly just for the novelty value.....but mostly because I assume I could get exceptional people without competition. Not only are women non existent in baseball, they get systematically undervalued in all the other potentially competing professions like statistics, computer science, infomatics, business administration, marketing, sports medicine. Hire Ng to talk with the good 'ol boys and be the lady with "cred", then put an open call out for women.

Here is another excellent news piece on both Ng as well as Farhan Zaidi, the Dodgers GM and the first Muslim GM in professional sports...Man, I would love to see this organization step out of its box.   Ng has also been instrumental in developing MLB scouting development relationships in Germany, Australia, Curacao as well as fostering USA baseball inner city development and developmental programs for women baseball programs. 

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Here is another excellent news piece on both Ng as well as Farhan Zaidi, the Dodgers GM and the first Muslim GM in professional sports...Man, I would love to see this organization step out of its box.   Ng has also been instrumental in developing MLB scouting development relationships in Germany, Australia, Curacao as well as fostering USA baseball inner city development and developmental programs for women baseball programs. 

We can only hope that John Angelos (or whoever is in charge) has the perfect combination of daddy's jaundiced view of baseball establishment, some creative thinking, and some humility.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Larry Luchino fired him too, in a hurry...and there weren’t any shackles of bad ownership there.  I think Duquette has gotten way too much of a pass because of the ogre owner theory.  Anything that goes right, he gets the credit, anything that goes wrong is that dumb Angelos fault.   

Nope, 2 last place seasons in a row along with possibly the worst season in MLB history is reason enough.  Plus I don’t trust Dan (see footsie with Toronto)...nope, I am canning him as fast as Lucchino did. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/01/sports/baseball-new-own

15 hours ago, tntoriole said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/01/sports/baseball-new-owners-of-red-sox-quickly-fire-duquette.html

ers-of-red-sox-quickly-fire-duquette.html

I have never been one to judge what someone did professionally 15 years ago.  People grow and learn.  Most of the boneheaded moves not all that DD has made were because we lacked choices that would be more beneficial.  Trading for midling pitchers at the deadline for prospects is born out of not being able to sign top tier FA pitchers and not being able to take on pitcher salary like we would have had to do to get Verlander.  Trading international slot money, again an Angelos issue.  Not trading Machado and/or Britton before now= not on DD.  Chris Davis contract= not on DD.  

I don't personally care if he sought to go to Toronto.  I would have tried to get out of this mess if I thought I had a chance too!!!

But given the mess, I can understand the gut the place strategy too.  

48 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

I have never been one to judge what someone did professionally 15 years ago.  People grow and learn.  Most of the boneheaded moves not all that DD has made were because we lacked choices that would be more beneficial.  Trading for midling pitchers at the deadline for prospects is born out of not being able to sign top tier FA pitchers and not being able to take on pitcher salary like we would have had to do to get Verlander.  Trading international slot money, again an Angelos issue.  Not trading Machado and/or Britton before now= not on DD.  Chris Davis contract= not on DD.  

I don't personally care if he sought to go to Toronto.  I would have tried to get out of this mess if I thought I had a chance too!!!

But given the mess, I can understand the gut the place strategy too.  

Not a defender of Angelos, but your view seems to be that Duquette didn’t make any bad choices at all..like Ubaldo and Gallardo and trading Zach Davies for Parra and trading Jake Arrieta and not resigning Nick or Nelson Cruz or letting Miggy go or signing Travis Snider etc, etc.   Dan did some good things, but he also made a number of bad trades and bad signings.  And he blew his effectiveness by being disloyal to a boss that does not tolerate it-that was his biggest mistake.  I would have fired him after the Toronto gig fell apart, but Angelos punished him by making him just a puppet with little influence after that deal.   Either way, the team needs new leadership if I am in charge, not Angelos and I would hire Kim Ng or Matt Klentak or Mike Elias, not a hasbeen GM. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Most new owners bring their own people in.  

I think the Toronto situation for some has made it impossible to judge him. Some can’t separate that. 

I do not think anyone thinks he has been perfect. I appreciate what he did accomplish and understand working under this owner makes things more difficult.  

22 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Schedule a press conference.

Announce to the fans that a new era has arrived, the team is going to return to the Oriole Way. In order to achieve this, the organization will be rebuilt. This will require some patience from the fans, but they will see progress.

First step is to invest in player development, the Orioles do not have the market to compete financially year in year out with the Yankees and the Red Sox. The team must be smart and creative to compete consistently going forward. The Orioles will be cutting payroll at the MLB level significantly for a couple years as the team rebuilds, but money will be invested to pay, feed, and train it's minor league players better. The goal is to have all of the non-org players able to train year round either at Sarasota or at a professional level facility (Boras, Driveline, etc). Each MiLB team will be provided with a sports nutrition consultant and money to properly feed players in the minors after games and workouts. 

Second, the Orioles will invest in the international market. Like Peter Angelos, I don't like the way things are run in the DR. So the Orioles will invest in a baseball academy on the island where players will be treated well, fed well, and drug tested. 

Third, aggressively identify and promote talent from within in the scouting, coaching, and instruction fields. This includes identifying org level players in the minors with potential in these fields and transitioning/training them to/for those positions as they realize they aren't making it to the majors.

I'm keeping Duquette for the first steps of the rebuild because I don't want a new GM who has to play catch up. I instruct him to get the best deals available for Machado, Britton, Givens, Brach, Valencia, Jones, and to try to shed Cashner and Trumbo's salary if possible.

Buck is fired immediately with Ron Johnson or Gary Kendall filling in for the remainder of the season as interim manager. 

Brady Anderson is offered the role as head of strength and conditioning, with the opportunity to set up in-season and offseason training for the team's MLB and MiLB players. With the freedom to bounce between Sarasota, the affiliates, and Camden Yards as he sees fit. But no player personnel responsibility or authority. 

Duquette is replaced at the end of the season unless he wants to stay on as a AGM at a reduced salary. New GM is hired with the focus on forward thinkers who are analytically inclined but grounded in baseball operations. 

Rasjich is offered a raise to stay on as long as he buys into the philosophy of the new GM. 

Hire a manager known for working with young players (I know this was Buck's MO when he was hired) with the long term goal of promoting the best of the minor league managers to the role eventually, I've got my eye on you Buck Britton. 

I'm not sure what to do with Brian Graham (director of player development) he's done some good things, but also some silly things (shoehorning Mountcastle to 3B for one), I'm not sure how much of each decision is on him or how much was being pushed by higher ups. I'll have him in for a debriefing to figure that out and see if he'll work going forward.

This is a great post and I agree with most, but I wouldnt be so quick to get rid of DD.  I would have a long coversation with him to understand his vision and philosophy before making any decisions on his future.  If he shared my vision I would give him til the end of the year to prove himself, if he was even interested in staying.

I would also want to talk with the mayor and governor to see if there were any ways we could work together to make a visit to the park as fan friendly and safe as possible.  I went to the game Saturday and there were a bunch of things I would change to enhance the fan experience.  Obviously the product on the field is the highest priority, but it will be a tough couple of years so need to get people to come to the games!

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Not a defender of Angelos, but your view seems to be that Duquette didn’t make any bad choices at all..like Ubaldo and Gallardo and trading Zach Davies for Parra and trading Jake Arrieta and not resigning Nick or Nelson Cruz or letting Miggy go or signing Travis Snider etc, etc.   Dan did some good things, but he also made a number of bad trades and bad signings.  And he blew his effectiveness by being disloyal to a boss that does not tolerate it-that was his biggest mistake.  I would have fired him after the Toronto gig fell apart, but Angelos punished him by making him just a puppet with little influence after that deal.   Either way, the team needs new leadership if I am in charge, not Angelos and I would hire Kim Ng or Matt Klentak or Mike Elias, not a hasbeen GM. 

Admit that I don’t know the other potential GM’s work enough to judge. Maybe they would be better. 

I can speak to DD.  I did say most, NOT ALL of his moves were for lack of other options  

Trading for Parra was dumb. That is on DD.  Letting go of Miggy also looked to be short sighted but there was money saved.  Why the need to feel he had to save that money?  Angelos edict or his doing?  

Arrietta looked to be awful in his time here. I would blame the development folks for that.  He wasn’t allowed to be himself. 

Cruz wanted a bunch of years and had a history of PED’s. We would have been better off signing him but it looked like too much risk at the time.

Nick Markakis had not been a world beater slg % was way down, defense looked slower and he had neck injury issue question marks.  4 years was a bridge too far.

Ubaldo and Gallardo are a pefect example of the middle road dumpster diving that I believe DD would NOT have done if he could have run his show, his way.  Who knows what he would have found over the years internationally and theough the premium FA route to not have to sign thos guys.  My opinion.  If I am wrong there (and I would find out by interviewing him and others) then my opinion would change. 

Yeah, I don't get the beat down on Duquette for Arrieta, Cruz and Markakis.

Arrieta was never going to win a Cy Young in Baltimore. Just wasn't going to happen the way his development here went down. He needed a change of scenery.

Cruz was 33, just had a career year (in a walk year no less) and had a history of PED use (which while I think should be legal, it isn't currently).

Markakis was a corner outfield with declining defense, no power and no speed. We wouldn't cheer his signing if he was from another team.

• Upvote 1