Frobby

Grayson Rodriguez 2018

Grayson Rodriguez debuted in the GCL today, pitching a scoreless inning, walking two and striking out one.     Glad he’s getting his feet wet.   I believe the O’s plan to bring him to Aberdeen eventually.   

Hobgood part deux but much worse bc the other pitchers available here could have real strong upside. Frustrating, but wish him the best. 

• Downvote 9

8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Hobgood part deux but much worse bc the other pitchers available here could have real strong upside. Frustrating, but wish him the best. 

True, huge sample size in the minors so far. Glad you’re not rushing to judgment.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Um...

What?

48 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Come on, you are better than comments like that. At least wait until you see him pitch professionally to write him off.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Come on, you are better than comments like that. At least wait until you see him pitch professionally to write him off.

Welcome to the board. You must be new here.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Rene88 said:

You are like Webbrick Part Deux, but without the baseball knowledge.

• Upvote 1

Don't really get why Rodriguez is limited to 1 inning while fellow high schooler Drew Rom has gone 4 innings in each of his first 2 starts.  I'm all about monitoring innings and taking it easy if necessary but it's not like that helped Harvey and Bundy prevent injury.

13 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Don't really get why Rodriguez is limited to 1 inning while fellow high schooler Drew Rom has gone 4 innings in each of his first 2 starts.  I'm all about monitoring innings and taking it easy if necessary but it's not like that helped Harvey and Bundy prevent injury.

I wouldn’t worry about that.   This season is just about Rodriguez getting his feet wet at the professional level.   DL Hall only pitched 10.1 innings last year, and he’s cruising along quite nicely this year.   Every situation is different, depending on the pitcher’s workload before he signed and other factors.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

You are like Webbrick Part Deux, but without the baseball knowledge.

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Hey, if Grayson does bomb, Rene88 gets to say he was on record first calling it.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s not him I don’t have faith in. There were 3 stud pitchers we passed on. We picked a no hit/all glove SS with the 1st round supplemental. I have zero faith in this org’s judgement.

13 minutes ago, Mountain Bird said:

That sure is a negative legacy to claim!!

The defenders all lined up for Hobgood too and vanished when he failed. Saying I have zero faith in the kid is not accurate, and people know this. I have zero faith in this org.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Very good game tonight. Both pens were real good. 
    • That fact that he pointed out Anthony Sanders and his race as being the one screwed also made me question it.
    • I'm surprised by this comment, Tony.  I'm not sure how you can blame Elias for Yaz coming out of nowhere to perform as he has for the Giants.  You really think there was reason to expect that Elias should have seen that coming?  Wow.
    • I’m guessing that a claim was probably filed against Elias and the Orioles for pension fraud (possibly by the agent of a coach on the staff that didn’t get the pension benefits), but since MLB approved Holt before the season as one of the 4 coaches designated to receive pension benefits, that’s why this is a non-story.  The quote from the MLB spokesperson said Holt received prior approval from the league and shared it with the MLBPA, so the only possible explanation is that the MLBPA is challenging Holt’s approval since he wasn’t a full-time uniformed coach this year, and that is likely what this botched article by Bill Madden is attempting to convey.  Even if a charge of pension fraud was filed by the MLBPA, or the agent of a coach separate from the MLBPA, it sounds like it’s dead in the water because MLB released a statement saying Holt was approved and there is no ongoing investigation that could result in discipline for Elias/Orioles.     Simply put, Bill Madden did a piss poor job of reporting this accurately, and tried to connect it with the Astros, which is why the article lead with “Ex-Astros” and “fraud” to get readers to click on it.  In reality, all Madden had to do is verify the story with MLB, like our local beat writers did, and he would have been told that this is a non-issue because Holt received prior authorization from the league to receive pension benefits, meaning this was not some covert, fraudulent attempt by Elias to get Holt on the pension plan without going through the proper approval process.  That’s why most of us thought from the very start that this story didn’t pass the smell test, and now we know we were proven correct in that assessment.
    • Journalism is a lost art nowadays in this day and age of blogging and tweeting.
    • I prefer Valaika as well. I don't think Wilkerson is a a good major league player, but as I said, he's a decent guy to have in the system. I think Urena will get first shot to stick as the everyday 2B, but Valaika could be in the running for sure. 
    • Elias has brought in different technologies that are supposedly used to help evaluate players as well as help them improve. They used those vests, those devices on the knobs of the bats and Statcast. What I'm saying is that Elias may want to take a look at what they missed with Yaz. Clearly his development or lack thereof was not on Elias' watch, but he brought in these technologies and they apparently did not indicate that Yaz had the potential to do what he's done. I also clearly stated that I never had Yaz on any of my lists so you can take the smart ass "What did you miss?" comment and keep it to yourself because that's disrespectful. I don't have nearly the access that the Orioles have on all of his data (Data was collected on AAA players in 2019 and available to the teams) so the question becomes, why did Yaz show nothing and then with some quick changes with SF coaches he becomes an impact player? If I'm Elias, I want to know the answer to that.  I also clearly showed that Elias's record of bringing in similar players to a Yaz has been pretty dismal.  When you take the two together, I think it's fair to ask the question what did they miss? If you don't fine, but at the end of the day, Elias gave away an impact player for nothing and has acquired none in two years. those are facts that can't be denied no matter how much you wanna wear orange colored glasses.  
  • Popular Contributors