Frobby

Grayson Rodriguez 2018

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Rene88 said:

It’s not him I don’t have faith in. There were 3 stud pitchers we passed on. We picked a no hit/all glove SS with the 1st round supplemental. I have zero faith in this org’s judgement.

I don't mean to pick on Rene88 when he is not here, so hopefully he can address this when he gets back, but it is comical to think that there were still three "stud" pitchers available to the team drafting outside the top 10.  Sure, guys after the top 10 picks will be good and great players.  At the time of the draft, however, there were not three pitchers with TOR ratings available outside the first 10 picks. 

One can go back a year and see DL Hall with about a top 10 rating in that draft and 10 teams outside the top 10 passed on him.  These things happen.  Players are over-rated and under-rated and things happen in a draft.  I like the fact that our Scouting Director took his guys.  This is a good Scouting Director, IMO.

I also question how much time some folks here spent studying the draft in terms of hours instead of just reading three sentence blurbs on guys.  There is an awful lot to like in the write-ups and story of GrayRod.  IMO, he has the physical attributes, present stuff and projectability to be a very, very good pitcher for the Os in a couple of years.

• Upvote 2

On 7/6/2018 at 1:01 PM, Frobby said:

Kind’ve a meaningless side note, but Matthew Liberatore (who was drafted no. 16 and who many here wanted over Rodriguez) pitched against the GCL O’s today, throwing 1.2 innings.    In the first, he allowed a leadoff single, made an errant pickoff throw that advanced the runner to 2B, walked the no. 2 batter, then induced a DP grounder that advanced the lead runner to 3B, and that runner then scored on a passed ball.    In the second, he allowed a walk and an HBP before being pulled with two outs in the inning.    So, not exactly smooth sailing for Mr. Liberatore in his debut.   

The GCL O’s faced Liberatore again today.  In 1.1 innings he allowed a hit, two walks and an HBP.   He’s a bit of a wild child so far.    He did strike out two and limit the damage to 1 run.   

I skimmed this thread so I hope I didn't miss anything, my understanding is Grayson Rodriguez was banned from the Hangout after 1 inning?

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The GCL O’s faced Liberatore again today.  In 1.1 innings he allowed a hit, two walks and an HBP.   He’s a bit of a wild child so far.    He did strike out two and limit the damage to 1 run.   

I sort of write off whatever these dudes do in their shortened first professional season.  As long as they don't put on the Freshman 15, I'm more interested in how they perform after getting some true major league experience.  It's probably a mammoth transition to go from HS ball to true professional baseball.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Two shutout innings for GrayRod today, 3 hits and one strikeout.   

Phenom!   👍

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That slider looked pretty nasty.  

Definitely the best of his offspeed pitches, he's only been throwing a distinct slider and curveball for less than a year. It was just one slurvy pitch last summer.

49 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Fastball had some nice movement on it.  Assuming it must be a two-seamer

Any reports on his velo in FL yet?.

A tweet about it is in this thread.

Two more scoreless innings today, with one hit and 2 walks, no strikeouts.   They’re still nursing him along at 2 IP per outing.   His overall line through 4 outings is 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 4 K’s.    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Two more scoreless innings today, with one hit and 2 walks, no strikeouts.   They’re still nursing him along at 2 IP per outing.   His overall line through 4 outings is 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 4 K’s.    

Pretty darn solid to start out.

• Upvote 2