Bahama O's Fan

Did Anyone Expect it to be THIS Bad?

3 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

It must not be that bad because Buck just told me that Cobb pitched well in his postgame conference.

Which is why I’m very concerned that Buck may be losing his mind as though I’m no shrink, comments such as this are a total denial of reality and can easily be seen as delusional imo!

19 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Lost his mind? I am wondering how Buck hasn't lost his job.

Exactly.   If Buck doesn't want to manage the team anymore he can take the Colby Rasmussen approach.   He is not going to ever get another managerial job after this. So hardly matters if he just walks away.

People on here mocked the Reds when they fired their manager.   Said no way we will end up as bad as the.  Now they have 15 more wins than us.  He should have been fired in April. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Exactly.   If Buck doesn't want to manage the team anymore he can take the Colby Rasmussen approach.   He is not going to ever get another managerial job after this. So hardly matters if he just walks away.

People on here mocked the Reds when they fired their manager.   Said no way we will end up as bad as the.  Now they have 15 more wins than us.  He should have been fired in April. 

Buck on many levels has been the face of this turnaround. That is why he is still here.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

Buck on many levels has been the face of this turnaround. That is why he is still here.  

And once many of those players are gone he will be too IMO.  I think he's around just until whatever trades are made take place, then an interim manager takes over until next season.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I must admit a certain symmetry exists.

It’s a lot easier to manage a team with more talented players, just ask Mike Hargrove or Joe Madden. Buck is no exception to this axiom.

I expected the team to be really bad. Not quite THIS bad record wise. Cobb's performance isn't surprising since even Rays fans say he hasn't been the same since his TJ surgery and he's still not the same. This is probably why he went unsigned for so long once again leaving the Orioles to pick up the guys no one else wants. I would be willing to bet that if anyone else made Cobb a decent offer, he would have likely accepted it. The degrading FO situation (which could be pretty clearly seen last year and even as far back as the Hyun-soo Kim thing) is also something I knew would factor in. I had always tried to bring up these points on here especially since the 2016 WC game, but I totally expected a sort of collapse like this. I didn't expect them to be in a position to break records like this, but I am also not surprised in the least.

I am more surprised at the fact that this FO told the fans that we were going to compete this year and, despite this horrible performance, there has been nothing but excuses and BS'ing. No accountability, no one gets fired and no one cares. Someone in another thread pointed out that managerial changes have produced immediate improvements even recently. I don't remember all the examples they posited, but I know one was Showalter after Trembley and Samuel. The Reds also improved dramatically with nothing but a managerial change. I know people say the manager doesn't have any impact on anything, but there is quite a bit of this kind of evidence clearly indicating that this line of thought is flawed at best.

Anyway, all the follies have caught up to the team. The lack of IFA participation, the bad trades, the FO chaos that has been allowed to get to this point and the total lack of accountability has produced an organization that has been propelled back into the dark ages once again. This team learned NOTHING from those 14 years, not a damn thing. I hope it's not another 14, but I doubt I'll be around for another one of those streaks. I wrote matchup threads for 11 years most of which was during those dark years, so no one can ever question my fanhood. I just refuse to waste any more of my time or energy stressing out about this poorly run franchise. This organization hasn't learned anything from their mistakes and neither has Showalter over his career. When everything is put together like this, this season makes complete and total sense.

My nightmare is Buck and all his coaches get a three year extension, Brady becomes the Orioles version of a G.M. , and they hire someone to do the day to day work of a G.M. because that stuff bores Brady.  Nothing changes throughout the organization except Dan Duquette is let go.  

8 minutes ago, Woody Held said:

My nightmare is Buck and all his coaches get a three year extension, Brady becomes the Orioles version of a G.M. , and they hire someone to do the day to day work of a G.M. because that stuff bores Brady.  Nothing changes throughout the organization except Dan Duquette is let go.  

And next year the team loses 135 games and we hear Buck say sometimes you have to tip your cap after each of those losses. 

Just now, Woody Held said:

I think we already lived through a previous version of that nightmare. But I think the winds have changed since the turn of the millennium. I fully expect the transition to be as drawn out and painful as only the Orioles can make it, but there is a smidgen of hope that we will come out of it better off.

• Haha 1