Bahama O's Fan

Did Anyone Expect it to be THIS Bad?

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I must admit a certain symmetry exists.

We we're 41 games under .500 when he took over the team in 2010 from Trembley/Samuel.

Today we fell back to 41 games under .50 for 2018.

• Upvote 1

Some amazing stats:

-- This is the 4th time we've been swept in a 4 game series

-- This is our 3rd 0-6 road trip of the year

-- We have hit a total of 3 3-run homers all year.

That last one is just astonishing

57 minutes ago, Canson80 said:

It's a worse roster than 1988. So in that way it's not as surprising

This roster is nowhere near as bad as the 1988 roster.   That team had Ripken an aging Murray and a over the hill Lynn and lot of cast aways.  This team has players that are in their prime or maybe slightly past it but still had great years just two or three years ago.

The 88 Orioles roster was 

Terry Kennedy and Mickey Tettlton.   Kennedy was a 33 year old catcher on his last legs and Fruit loops was comming of a year he hit .184 in Oakland.  This year we have Joseph and Sisco  who is a top 100 prospect manly for his bat.  He has struggled so far but still young and more regarded then Mickey was.

1st was Murrey who was still very good but was 33.  Davis although falling of the cliff has had great years not to long ago.

2nd was Ripken who hit .209 with two homers and never had much of a bat.  Schoop is and was an emerging star and just last year many on here were saying he was better or equal to Manny.

SS was Cal in his prime but was still not the player Manny is.

3B was Rick Schu who hit .235 the year before with 6 homers and a AAAA player and never a real prospect of player.   Beckham although never reaching his promise was still very highly regarded as a young player.

LF was Sheets who had the big 87 and many hoped he would keep that going but seemed to be a one year wonder.  He didn’t do much any other year before or after  throughout his career.  Mancini is similar had that big year last year as a rookie and hope was that would continue.  So far he has struggled but still had as much hype as Sheets coming into each season.

OF Fred Lynn was a very good player but was 36 that season and on his way out.  Adam Jones although getting older for center was still 32 and a better player at this time then Lynn was in 88.

Rf Joe Orsulak did not even player in majors in 87 and hit .220 with 2 homers in 86.  This year they had Rasmus but the though was Hays would be here by now and was a top 25 prospect in the game comming into the year,. 

Dh was 38 year old Jim Dwyer who had less home runs in his career then Trumbull had in one year going into the season.

The rotation was Boddicker Morgan, Ballard, Tibbs, and Bautista.  Nowhere near the rotation of Cobb, Bundy, Gausman, Cashner and Tilman comming into each season.  

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

His paycheck gets him out of bed each day.  I am wondering how he still has a job. 

Because no manager is bad enough to be responsible for a mess like this.  And Buck has a track record of getting more out of the team up until last year when the collapse begun.   No way you can put this all on Buck.

7 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

This roster is nowhere near as bad as the 1988 roster.   That team had Ripken an aging Murray and a over the hill Lynn and lot of cast aways.  This team has players that are in their prime or maybe slightly past it but still had great years just two or three years ago.

The 88 Orioles roster was 

Terry Kennedy and Mickey Tettlton.   Kennedy was a 33 year old catcher on his last legs and Fruit loops was comming of a year he hit .184 in Oakland.  This year we have Joseph and Sisco  who is a top 100 prospect manly for his bat.  He has struggled so far but still young and more regarded then Mickey was.

1st was Murrey who was still very good but was 33.  Davis although falling of the cliff has had great years not to long ago.

2nd was Ripken who hit .209 with two homers and never had much of a bat.  Schoop is and was an emerging star and just last year many on here were saying he was better or equal to Manny.

SS was Cal in his prime but was still not the player Manny is.

3B was Rick Schu who hit .235 the year before with 6 homers and a AAAA player and never a real prospect of player.   Beckham although never reaching his promise was still very highly regarded as a young player.

LF was Sheets who had the big 87 and many hoped he would keep that going but seemed to be a one year wonder.  He didn’t do much any other year before or after  throughout his career.  Mancini is similar had that big year last year as a rookie and hope was that would continue.  So far he has struggled but still had as much hype as Sheets coming into each season.

OF Fred Lynn was a very good player but was 36 that season and on his way out.  Adam Jones although getting older for center was still 32 and a better player at this time then Lynn was in 88.

Rf Joe Orsulak did not even player in majors in 87 and hit .220 with 2 homers in 86.  This year they had Rasmus but the though was Hays would be here by now and was a top 25 prospect in the game comming into the year,. 

Dh was 38 year old Jim Dwyer who had less home runs in his career then Trumbull had in one year going into the season.

The rotation was Boddicker Morgan, Ballard, Tibbs, and Bautista.  Nowhere near the rotation of Cobb, Bundy, Gausman, Cashner and Tilman comming into each season.  

I hate to burst your bubble but other than Machado no current position player is close to being as good as 1988 Fred Lynn.

1988 Orioles WAR from position players 5.9.  Current Orioles position players WAR -2.5.  So at current rate Orioles position  players will be close to 11 WAR worse than 1988 Orioles. 

Buck may be getting his nice paycheck but it has to be a dreadful experience knowing you are losing and likely to continue losing game after game in a similar fashion. Not scoring runs with a mediocre starting  pitching staff and subpar bullpen and no end in site and all this before the AllStar break. I don’t see how it can be any worse!

I knew they were going to be bad and I canceled my MLB Extra Innings subscription before the season, but I was not expecting this. 

I just hope they play these next 4 games as if it was their World Series.

Nope. The injuries in the bullpen and the poor performance of the bullpen have been crippling. As Buck has shown, a good bullpen can win you a lot of games. A bad bullpen combined with a dreadful offense and you have a terrible record.

As I have said again and again, embrace the bad record. Higher draft pick is the result and a high second round pick. Plus, DD won’t be trading our competitive balance picks when we’re this bad. It’s like we’re being forced to rebuild!

Hopefully, the top brass will hire someone who is able to establish a well-run organization. I’m super doubtful, but without hope, I cant be a fan.

1 hour ago, Woody Held said:

My nightmare is Buck and all his coaches get a three year extension, Brady becomes the Orioles version of a G.M. , and they hire someone to do the day to day work of a G.M. because that stuff bores Brady.  Nothing changes throughout the organization except Dan Duquette is let go.  

Unfortunately I dont think this is a nightmare.  I think this is pretty much how it goes.  Except for Dan.  His contract expires and he would leave on his own.  The Orioles have taken his power but somehow not placed the blame on him by firing him.  

41 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Some amazing stats:

-- This is the 4th time we've been swept in a 4 game series

-- This is our 3rd 0-6 road trip of the year

-- We have hit a total of 3 3-run homers all year.

That last one is just astonishing

The Orioles should really take the whole fantasy baseball thing to another level.  They just hired a business development guy.  I hereby toss my idea into the hat in order to keep everyone interested the rest of the way.

Call it the Baltimore Oriole Fantasy Camp of 2018.  Here is the ad:

Fans, come on admit it.  You always wanted to be a major league ballplayer.  How many times have you said you wished you had the chance to play.  Well now, in our quest to go for it in 2018, we will leave no stone unturned.  We do not want to start our service time on any of our young players so we have decided that you can help us "Go 4 it!"  and we are going to "Give that fan a contract"  For the rest of the season, any fan of any age that catches a foul ball will automatically be given a contract and added to the roster.  The fan* will be guaranteed at least one official major league at bat and can name his or her own position like our own Manny Machado.  So come on fans, help the Orioles Go 4 it and we will Give that Fan a contract.

All Fans will be paid the prorated portion of a major league minimum (Donated by Chris Davis)  This offer is valid for the remainder of the 2018 season and is open to all fans of all ages.  Current Oriole employees are not eligible (Brady Anderson) but all former players are welcome to participate (Frank and Brooks).  All fans who participate will be fed after the game at Boogs place (paid for by Orioles...technically its paid for by Colby Rasmus, but let's not quibble).

• Haha 1

No, not this bad.  Not at all.  I could analyze but everyone else in this thread has it covered.

It's as if, in the effort to improve the starting rotation by a marginal amount, every other performance aspect of the team fell off a cliff.

2 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

His paycheck gets him out of bed each day.  I am wondering how he still has a job. 

With it being this bad, and likely sweeping changes coming throughout the entire organization, it doesn't make sense to fire anyone at this point.  If they did it in May, yeah, I get it, but what does it do now?  

Aside from Alan Mills and Pat Leyland, there aren't many coaches from top to bottom I would retain.  Part of the problem is the development system, and I would hope we can get a massive overhaul, instead of the same "keep everyone from the previous regime" that we always get. 

6 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

No, not this bad.  Not at all.  I could analyze but everyone else in this thread has it covered.

It's as if, in the effort to improve the starting rotation by a marginal amount, every other performance aspect of the team fell off a cliff.

A lot is said of the hitting, from the number of below .200 hitters we've trotted out there since OD, the Rule 5 picks, but the worst is the defense.  According to DRS, Machado is on pace for the worst defensive season EVER in the history of that stat, and three of the bottom five players in DRS are Machado, Jones and Mancini.  The orioles too are on pace for one of the worst defensive seasons ever. 

I am not sure how folks who saw the last two months of last season expected much better than 65-70 wins.  

I really don't care much about the difference between being a worst three team at 65 wins and the worst team at 45 wins.

Still, it is difficult to fathom the combined mediocrity of Schoop, Hays, Davis, and many others all at the same time.

We are in rebuilding mode and I am excited for that to move along and see how it goes.