Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Deadwood Fan

Is Peter Angelos the Bill Wirtz of Baseball Owners

Recommended Posts

I was in Chicago last month visting my brother and my brother told me about Bill Wirtz the former Blackhawks owner. My brother was a partial season ticket holder during the Bill Wirtz days and they didnt broadcast home games in the 90s and 2000s. Is it fair to compare Angelos to Bill Wirtz in the way he has alienated the fanbase and ran a proud franchise into the ground? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

"This is one of the oldest trees in Angelosville."

"You mean 'Baltimore' ???"

"No, I mean 'Angelosville' !!! Don't you think that I know where I live ???"

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

"This is one of the oldest trees in Angelosville."

"You mean 'Baltimore' ???"

"No, I mean 'Angelosville' !!! Don't you think that I know where I live ???"

 

o

o

 

For the record, I DO NOT view Peter this way ........ but I couldn't resist.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angelos alienate the fan base?

Let's see. He gets rid of Davey Johnson, Pat Gillick and John Miller. That right there alienated a lot of people back in the day. He nixes deal after deal that would make the team better. And for what reason exactly? Apparently, he doesn't trust his baseball people. He cuts off potential fans and current fans this year who don't have or can't afford cable with no more broadcast tv games. This year he's waiting and waiting and waiting. I get that we want the best return but let's hope he doesn't mess this up like he did with the Davis negotiation.

Is he the worst owner in sports? Maybe, maybe not. I grew up in the 60's and the Orioles were a model franchise for nearly 25 years. Now, to most fans outside of Maryland, the team is pretty much a laughingstock.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I think Ethel is Brady, the obedient wife. 

I think she messed with his food. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

Angelos alienate the fan base?

Let's see. He gets rid of Davey Johnson, Pat Gillick and John Miller. That right there alienated a lot of people back in the day. He nixes deal after deal that would make the team better. And for what reason exactly? Apparently, he doesn't trust his baseball people. He cuts off potential fans and current fans this year who don't have or can't afford cable with no more broadcast tv games. This year he's waiting and waiting and waiting. I get that we want the best return but let's hope he doesn't mess this up like he did with the Davis negotiation.

Is he the worst owner in sports? Maybe, maybe not. I grew up in the 60's and the Orioles were a model franchise for nearly 25 years. Now, to most fans outside of Maryland, the team is pretty much a laughingstock.

Jon Miller? 

Cuts off fans? They can essentially go as a family for free if they don't choose to be too fancy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deadwood Fan said:

I was in Chicago last month visting my brother and my brother told me about Bill Wirtz the former Blackhawks owner. My brother was a partial season ticket holder during the Bill Wirtz days and they didnt broadcast home games in the 90s and 2000s. Is it fair to compare Angelos to Bill Wirtz in the way he has alienated the fanbase and ran a proud franchise into the ground? 

Hockey owners compared to baseball? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Deadwood Fan said:

I was in Chicago last month visting my brother and my brother told me about Bill Wirtz the former Blackhawks owner. My brother was a partial season ticket holder during the Bill Wirtz days and they didnt broadcast home games in the 90s and 2000s. Is it fair to compare Angelos to Bill Wirtz in the way he has alienated the fanbase and ran a proud franchise into the ground? 

He has pretty much made me care a lot less about the team. I have gotten to where I don't care if the team wins or loses. He appears to not give a damn and I don't either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I deal with hundreds of people daily in my job and Angelos's name comes up often. I've yet to hear anyone say they like the way he runs the club.

Edited by gtman55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weams said:

Jon Miller? 

Cuts off fans? They can essentially go as a family for free if they don't choose to be too fancy.

You're giving me crap cause I misspelled his name, seriously? He did fire Jon Miller.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-11-04/features/1996309053_1_angelos-jon-miller-camden-yards

 

Edited by gtman55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...