Aglets

Will Chris Davis make it to 502 PA?

Will the Orioles let Chris Davis reach 'official' legendary status?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does he get 502 PA before the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Would anyone even be opposed to Garabez Rosa, Little Yaz, Drew Dosch, or any other "career minor leaguer" getting a chance to play instead of Davis? I mean, they couldn't do any worse...

Just watching DJ Stewart hit, it is clear that he is better than Davis right now.

22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Maybe he'll never see the new hitting coach.

I'm still holding out hope we rip the bandaid off on October 1 and cut him.   I really HOPE that playing him nearly every day this year has been to determine once and for all if there was any way he could turn it around.   And the answer is clear so they just do the inevitable.   It's sunk cost.

Maybe they could negotiate some form of buyout if it is made clear that he likely would be sitting for the duration of his deal, playing some late defense innings or in emergencies.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Maybe they could negotiate some form of buyout if it is made clear that he likely would be sitting for the duration of his deal, playing some late defense innings or in emergencies.  

I'd be really surprised if he would accept something like that.   Certainly any agent would advise against it, because it's basically saying not to money that someone has already signed a contract saying they would give you.

The player would have to be so miserable in his situation and so humiliated by it that he would overrule his agent, and feel the wrath of the players union, to turn down a large amount of money that he is owed.

Anyone know why Palmer keeps saying that Davis is having trouble seeing the ball?

Davis' decline has been getting worse for three years, so his eyesight is not getting better.

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just watching DJ Stewart hit, it is clear that he is better than Davis right now.

Understatement of the year. 

You'd be hard pressed to find any Triple A player who is not better than Davis right now.  In fact, I really don't think Davis could even hit Triple A or Double A pitching at this point. 

16 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The only hope is that he is so embarrassed by his play and unhappy playing baseball that he is open to negotiating some type of buyout and even then I doubt we would recoup a large percentage of the money that he is owed.  Other than that we have no leverage.  If he's content on riding out the contract  and just showing up to collect a paycheck, I doubt he cares if he isn't playing.  In fact, he has to expect that at this point that his playing time is going to shrink considerably going into 2019 and beyond.  

I think he will be DFA at some point in the 2019 season without a buyout being negotiated.  They'll give him one last chance to see if he can turn it around even though the chances of that happening are slim to none. 

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dempsey was kinda hard on him on Orioles pregame, saying it's been two years for him to get it together.  

For once I agree with Dempsey. He’s had all season to play through it and make any kind of adjustments. Nothing has worked (or nothing was adjusted... it’s hard to say). 

They can’t go on with this version of Chris Davis. Since they won’t be anything approaching a good team next year, I’d let him get things sorted out and see how he looks in 2019. If he doesn’t show improvement after a couple months, it might be time to go Old Yeller on Crush and just let him go.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good God.  .545 OPS this year.  

But but in his pregame interview he said he hit three line drives against the CWS all right at people. He also recalled a game in TB. 

A .545 OPS isn’t just some bad luck. The dude needs to have a Caleb Joseph quote about himself and maybe this won’t be so painful. 

Seems like he's the only one who will give an interview. No matter where you look, you have to see or read the worst player in baseball talking about himself. It's depressing. Wish he would just STFU.

57 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But but in his pregame interview he said he hit three line drives against the CWS all right at people. He also recalled a game in TB. 

A .545 OPS isn’t just some bad luck. The dude needs to have a Caleb Joseph quote about himself and maybe this won’t be so painful. 

That was crazy. Also used the shift as an excuse. Sorry, Chris, MLB defenses shift on everyone else and they manage to OPS better than .545. At some point, you have to look in the mirror.  He did admit that the season was a disaster and strikeouts were up.

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That was crazy. Also used the shift as an excuse. Sorry, Chris, MLB defenses shift on everyone else and they manage to OPS better than .545. At some point, you have to look in the mirror.  He did admit that the season was a disaster and strikeouts were up.

Shift doesn't work if you hit the ball over the wall.