Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

I don't see us winning 50 games.

The potential reality of the OP is really quite depressing, but I've come to terms with it. I really don't care anymore. Afterall, "If you're not first you're last." I'll be interested again if we make smart trades, even if that doesn't translate to wins right away.

6 hours ago, Malike said:

What a world we live in when a person is actually embarrassed to be a fan of a team. It's a game. I'd be embarrassed if my pants fell down in public, or accidentally spit in the face of someone I was talking to, but to be embarrassed of a sports team having a terrible year? Nice priorities.

I dunno, as a fan of the team I would be embarrassed to bet against the Orioles in the postseason ... but that's just me.  

The all-time worst mark by an Orioles team was, of course, 1988 (54-108) and this team is currently 4 games worse than that one.  I expect that margin will grow larger by the end of August.  1988 collapsed in September so there's room for 2018 to make up ground...but I doubt it and here's why.  The last 10 games are against Boston, NY, and Houston, all jockeying for playoff position.  I don't think we'll be playing spoiler like we did in 2011 - that Boston team was already melting down.

BTW, we're also tied with the 2003 Tigers who were 43-119.   

We’d have to play .353 baseball the rest of the way to reach 50 wins.   Somehow, that feels insurmountable at the moment, which is a pretty sad commentary. 

Prior to the season, based on our rosters, we were predicted to win about as many games as Oakland.  Currently, they are 53-41 while we are 26-68.  We are 27 games behind the Oakland As with 68 games to go.  That is an outstanding example of just how much we have underachieved this year. 

8 hours ago, foxfield said:

The performance angainst the yanks allude to potential that many of us saw. The injuries and the massive underperformance shows the fine line that determines success for teams like the Orioles. Embarrassed?  I don’t know. But it sure has blown a whole in my vision of rebuilding a once proud franchise that was begun under AM and continued under DD. 

For me the embarrassment is the lack of accountability. Blame Clarence (the vendor) for all I care. But this????

You mean Clancy?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

We would have won today's game if the OF were Stewart, Mullins and Hays. We lose games because of poor defense.I;m looking forward to watching the young guys play.

This year more than ever have I realized how important Defense is in factoring into a winning team.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’d have to play .353 baseball the rest of the way to reach 50 wins.   Somehow, that feels insurmountable at the moment, which is a pretty sad commentary. 

We have gone 2-3 over the last 5 games and somehow that seams like a hot streak.   

It has been maddening to see this unfold night after night. 

What makes me feel a little better is the way in which John and Lou Angelos have spoken openly and regularly, through the media, to Oriole fans, recognizing the team's deep problems, acknowledging ownership's role in creating or adding to some of those problems, explaining the decision-making process that now is in place in light of their father's medical status and his desire to remain involved, and dedicating themselves and the team to make changes that will build a stronger franchise through, among other things, investing in scouting and signing international free agents. At least they're communicating and starting to take decisive, thoughtful acti  ---

Oh, sorry, that was a dream I had the other night. Too much Mexican food, I guess.

Never mind.

The comment about a Stewart, Mullins, Hayes OF is correct.

Also, the trades need to happen ASAP and Davis should be released.  

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

The comment about a Stewart, Mullins, Hayes OF is correct.

Also, the trades need to happen ASAP and Davis should be released.  

I like how people think Davis getting released has any chance of happening.  You have 4 more years of Davis after this season.  

• Upvote 1

I don't know if the team will win 50 games, but I think the team will play better after the trades....IF they play the young outfielders and field a competent 3B if they move Beck back to SS. I think the trades will energize the team...they will still lose more than they win, but I think letting the kids play would result in a higher winning percentage than this train wreck of a roster. 

With the Orioles flailing miserably and the Red Sox getting scorching hot - it has put the record for finishing the furthest out of 1st place in history in play I think.  As best I can tell the modern era record is held by the NL's 1909 Boston Doves (eventually the Braves) who finished a cool 65.5 games out of first.  The AL mark is held by our extended franchise as the 1939 St Louis Browns finished 64.5 games behind the Yankees.  Right now we're on pace to finish 68 games back of the Red Sox. I don't see them staying hot enough and us staying bad enough to break the 65.5 games back record, but it's definitely in play.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1