Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/20/2018 at 03:59

7 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

The Padres got their # 1 prospect - Francisco Mejia - for Hand.

Does this increase or decrease ZB's value?

Increase for sure.

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

Increase for sure.

Hand has 3 years of cheap control and is a stud.

I don't think this does much for Britton's value.

Cuts both ways - it's a nice high benchmark, but I was kind of hoping for us to be the ones to get to capitalize on Cleveland's bullpen situation, and this being the last year before their player's success really busts the team's budget.

I'm sure they didn't want to let Bryan Shaw and Joe Smith types go last offseason, but just couldn't afford them.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

Cuts both ways - it's a nice high benchmark, but I was kind of hoping for us to be the ones to get to capitalize on Cleveland's bullpen situation, and this being the last year before their player's success really busts the team's budget.

I'm sure they didn't want to let Bryan Shaw and Joe Smith types go last offseason, but just couldn't afford them.

I wouldn't rule out the Indians adding another piece. 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I wouldn't rule out the Indians adding another piece. 

Oh for sure, but we've missed the "A" Cleveland boat.  It really takes them out of Britton too, as he'd be 3rd lefty and AL superpowers are very right-handed.  Only Givens gets us good Cleveland stuff now.

They're also one of the best AJ spots, so maybe AJ and Brach together get a very little something if Brach shows well in the next couple weeks.

7 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Hand is good, Britton is in another stratosphere. You are probably right, this really doesn't effect ZB's value too much. But it does show that closers will command a high return.

9 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Takes Hand off the market, so it’s good in that way.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theobird said:

Hand is good, Britton is in another stratosphere. You are probably right, this really doesn't effect ZB's value too much. But it does show that closers will command a high return.

Britton is coming back from an achillies and although the velo and sink is coming back still has some command issues as we've seen thus far. Not to mention he's expiring.

We aren't getting a Mejia for Britton, even if we would have added.

It's nice that a top reliever is off the market like @Frobbysaid, but that's about where it ends as far as comparisons.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, ISU94 said:

Honestly, same.

The guy is pretty much ready. He holds #2/#3 type upside. Britton is looking very solid and well on his way back but to get a young, controlled, MLB ready arm for 2-3 months of Britton would be good. Think we'd still get a flier prospect with an arm like Suarez or de los Santos, but still. 

On 7/12/2018 at 12:32 PM, Tony-OH said:

As soon as the Orioles can get a young 3-4 starter or a SS/3B of the future in return you pull the deal.

I wonder if Daniel Brito would make sense here, over a pitcher. If it's a pitcher, I love Suarez's numbers. Getting him back for Britton, straight up, would probably be a good deal, although I'd like to see a second piece... maybe another player from their top 30.

Or how about Britton-plus for Brito and Suarez / de los Santos? Suarez looks like he could slot into the rotation next season, and Brito could be ready to man second base by 2020. 

I think it helps Britton's value, as it makes him more clearly the top available lefty. I understand that Hand has control for two more seasons, etc.,  but in a supply and demand sense, the supply just got thinner.

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

The Padres got their # 1 prospect - Francisco Mejia - for Hand.

Does this increase or decrease ZB's value?

Neither. ZB and Hand aren't comparable. Hand is under contract - at a very affordable rate - for three years. Britton is a 2-month rental.